Quasem Soleimani Taken Out

Rue

Guess I am the first on it. Trump ordered a successful drone attack taking out the above Iranian general and another leader allegedly who ordered a recent missile attack on US contractors in Iraq. 

This was in response to escalating anti US attacks in Iraq as well as previous decisions by this General.

No doubt to do this Trump had to have support from his military.

Now whether it sends a strong signal or invites more violence we wait and see. I believe Iran was escalating tension in Iraq and went too far myself.

Whether the attack is a ploy to detract from more memos showing direct orders from Trump to delay military transfers to Ukraine is also interesting. Coincidence?

I argue the US had its hand forced in Iraq. Whether this was the response to show they would not be intimidated by Iran or some other response will be debated.

The question remains do the Iranians understand any other language than a missile up the ass of their no.1 warrior when he orders violence against the US and Western allies?

Edited by Rue

This is a message, not only for Iran, but for North Korea too, with little Kim wanting to show off a new kind of missile that compensates for his size.

Wanna play the stupid game? Get the stupid price. Don't mess with the US Army, it's just not worth it.

We’re in a briefing vacuum at the moment. Senior Democrats have yet to be briefed and allies were taken by surprise. A speech by the President immediately after the event would have been the usual route to take. It’s hard to see how this will make Iraq more stable or America’s presence there more secure. I see US citizens are advised to leave Iraq ASAP. Trump is getting sucked in to the ME. 

4 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

The left? Love? Enemy combatants?

Certainly. They're more upset about the optics of this timely take-down than happy that one of the masterminds of international terrorism got exactly what he deserved. 

You're free to join 'em if you must. I don't mind.

Edited by DogOnPorch

15 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

We’re in a briefing vacuum at the moment. Senior Democrats have yet to be briefed and allies were taken by surprise. A speech by the President immediately after the event would have been the usual route to take. It’s hard to see how this will make Iraq more stable or America’s presence there more secure. I see US citizens are advised to leave Iraq ASAP. Trump is getting sucked in to the ME. 

The U.S. was in the ME long before Trump....and long after.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

A pretty big deal to assassinate a senior government official of another country.  Countries typically don't do it.  An act of war, but we're also talking about the scum Iranians here.  Interesting turn of events.

I always takes two to tango and slime seems to have an affinity for scum so...pretty typical turn of events really.

Edited by eyeball
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

I recall somebody saying the endless wars must end. 

The IRGC has been a disaster for Iran and the region. 

Somebody says a lot of things.    The USS Vincennes (CG-49) shot down Iran Air Flight 655 in 1988, killing all aboard.

So what makes this general so special ?

3 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

The U.S. was in the ME long before Trump....and long after.

Appeasement in the face of Iran was not working.  They seem to have been ratcheting things up externally and I think it was to detract from an internal civil uprising. They closed out the world to the internal revolution going on . I think the timing is more coincidental with the internal  civil war in Iran and a realignment of ground control in parts of Syria and Iraq left by the ISIL and Kurd  retreats.  Also it was interesting to hear Germany make a strong statement for the attack not against it. Not expected given their past appeasement of Iran.Also China's response was quite muted under the circumstances. No one wants a war or escalation but if you sit on your ass and try appease violent countries you get yer ass torched. Its wishful thinking to think Iran can be dealt with  nicely and civilly. Their rhetoric and internal civil war and fueling of the on-going war with Saudi Arabia was destabilizing the area. This is as much a message to China and North Korea as it is Iran about hegemony in the ME. Its also interesting to see Putin whine like a baby over it.

2 minutes ago, scribblet said:

What was he doing in Iraq anyway, he was under  UN travel ban, not that it ever stopped him from traveling. 

He was coordinating a ground war in Sunni and Kurd areas of Iraq which is wear not so coincidentally American contractors are rebuilding.

Edited by Rue

Soleimani would have been killed already by Israel (in Damascus) were it not for President Obama's intervention and early warning to Iran.

President Trump has reversed Obama's policy...with extreme prejudice.

Obama likes Suleimani, and admires his work. As the president reportedly told a group of Arab officials in May, the Arabs “need to learn from Iran’s example.”

https://www.hudson.org/research/11436-obama-strikes-a-deal-with-qassem-suleimani

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

We’re in a briefing vacuum at the moment. Senior Democrats have yet to be briefed and allies were taken by surprise. A speech by the President immediately after the event would have been the usual route to take. It’s hard to see how this will make Iraq more stable or America’s presence there more secure. 

Maybe that's the point. A president at war has a better chance of a re-election.

1 hour ago, marcus said:

Maybe that's the point. A president at war has a better chance of a re-election.

Takes the heat off the impeachment file nicely too.  So I wonder how an America under Trump would react in the face of a galvanizing act? I wonder if suspending elections until the emergency had passed would be on the table?

No doubt we'll be told the Constitutional power to do so has always been in the President's hands - nothing to see here.

Cue Mr Bush Cheney in 5,4,3,2... 

Edited by eyeball

Every president needs to show he is a tough guy but Trump got elected on the promise of getting out of the pointless foreign wars. You can't really blame the tin foil-hats for saying that the real masters are telling the puppets what to do.

7 hours ago, Rue said:

No doubt to do this Trump had to have support from his military.

Oh I'm pretty sure they don't mind.  The military has been looking a little put out at his apparent isolationist desire to extricate the US from its military entanglements abroad.  I'm pretty sure they knew it was just an act.

Edited by eyeball