Should Don Cherry Have Been Fired?

Should Don Cherry Have Been Fired?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

41 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Your claim that white male behaviour is racist is a racist generalization about all white males.  

It isn't my claim. It's well-known research. 

I’d rather have the likes of Don Cherry in my company   

Of course you would!  Lol 

But those jackets ... ! Ugh.

Try to do something about that ... 

52 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

1. Your claim that white male behaviour is racist is a racist generalization about all white males.  

2. I’d rather have the likes of Don Cherry in my company than someone with your views,  

1. You think all generalizations are racist ?  So you basically disagree with statements about groups then, even if they're factual.

2. I used to like my grandpa, when he was alive, but only once or twice a year.  I really like chatting with people who have different views, but hey I'm a liberal...

32 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. You think all generalizations are racist ?  So you basically disagree with statements about groups then, even if they're factual.

2. I used to like my grandpa, when he was alive, but only once or twice a year.  I really like chatting with people who have different views, but hey I'm a liberal...

I think they are more of a stereotype.  They can be construed as racism in the wrong light.  

Examples of my personal experiences are that Italians are associated with pasta, pizza, soccer, mafia, etc.  I've heard them all.   

11 minutes ago, Cannucklehead said:

1. I think they are more of a stereotype.  They can be construed as racism in the wrong light.  

2. Examples of my personal experiences are that Italians are associated with pasta, pizza, soccer, mafia, etc.  I've heard them all.   

1. I think a stereotype is a kind of generalization but a generalization is not necessarily a stereotype.  Women are better drivers is a generalization but not a stereotype.

2. I never saw Tony Soprano play soccer o

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

Not even sure WTF this has to do with Don cherry at all, your quick to point out that it was harper who was the chicken hawk, and yet you give Mr. Chretien a free pass, I mean it was Mr Chretien who threw up his hand to send troops to Afghanistan in the first place, because he wanted nothing to do with the coalition going into Iraq, He did so against the military advice as we were not trained or equipped for this mission....he sent those troops in light , to hump the mountains to hunt down the Taliban and destroy what they could....not hand out blankets and teddy bears...why because he wanted his picture in the media....

Are you suggesting that if you have not worn a uniform you can't support the troops ? What are you going on about here ? You talk as if you had served during this time, not sure what it has to do with my post but sure give er …. as for the rest of the post Just doing the basics, if humping through the mountains killing every Taliban and terrorist they could is the basics then ya your right....but you skipped over that part and jumped to when we were in Kabul....when we patrolled in soft skin vehs , hunting down the Taliban where ever they were within the city....but hey WTF do I know...you can try and blame every on harper, but the decision to send in tanks was Chretien's, it takes time to refurb them with the new armor , train the crews, prepare them for shipment, find some one to fly them over....  It was however Harpers watch that upgraded those 40 year old tanks with new LEO IIA6M....In spring 2005 officials announced that the Canadian Forces would move back to the volatile Kandahar Province another liberal decision....to move us into one of the most contested zones of Afghanistan....onc e again with out the troops or right equipment. 

If that is a plug on towards me, your free to think what ever you want, I personally do give a f$$$k what you think, or how many movies you think I seen....what I do know is it was people like you with your attitude that left us high and dry in Afghanistan , without the manpower or the right equipment to do the job, and only when enough soldiers had died would we get some equipment but not enough to make a difference. Atleast we knew where don cherry stood, atleast he had the balls to risk his life to visit Canadians soldiers , he was'nt selling us any bullshit, he just want to see his troops...

Yeah, Chretien wasn't exactly a profile in courage, but most of us who weren't fans understood that there were a lot of threats dished out by the Bush Admin for refusing to go along with the Iraq Invasion, so he had to do at least the bare minimum in Afghanistan. If that changed in 05 as you say, then it's a good thing Chretien was out, or it would have been no better with Paul Martin in charge! But my point about chicken hawks, which are all over the media and political spectrum.for the past 20 years, is that they need to show something more than a superficial understanding of the war plans our government and the US are up to before troops are sent in, and also before the bombing starts! If you're active duty, you have to go, whether you think it's a worthwhile operation or not! But looking at the US example, which the chicken hawks want Canada to follow, the majority of citizens in both countries see war as someone else's problem, since there's no draft or even conscription, as there was at the outset of WWII when my father and his brothers (except one who couldn't pass a physical) joined the Army and were later sent off to fight. In the US, the volunteers are sometimes called "The Other One Percent" because they are volunteering out of economic necessity, and have no chances for jobs or education unless they join one of the services.  

But tell me one thing: what I've heard from actual Afghanis who have managed to emigrate to Canada and even a young vet who was in Kandahar during that time, but was out before Harper took over and wanted the Canadian Forces to be as aggressive (and hated by the locals) kicking in doors and grabbing everyone accused of being Taleban, was that during his tour, the locals did not look upon Canadian and other Euro allies in the same way as the Americans, who were hated by everyone- Taleban and tribal chieftains they were fighting against. There were rumors that the Taleban were deliberately avoiding engaging Canadians and concentrating their efforts on the Americans. But this is not something some one dimensional clown like Don Cherry would ever be listening or paying attention to, since it doesn't fit on a bumper sticker!

1 hour ago, jacee said:

Race and ethnicity are identities that should not be used as a broad brush to condemn or excuse people for whatever they do. 

I'm noticing from following what's going on in the US since the Occupy demonstrations started in 2011, is that it has taken a long time, but especially with Bernie Sanders' run for the White House four years ago, younger Americans are getting the point that the main division and most important division in any capitalist-governed society is where you are in economic class/not what your race, gender, ethnicity or even sexual orientation is!  If you're rich, doors open for you, you don't have to follow the same laws and rules as the rest of the plebes, and the only times when members of the ruling class are punished (like will happen to Trump eventually) is if you violate the club rules of the ruling class. The most prominent billionaires and powerful government bureaucrats, are expected to fight their battles under the rules that they are all supposed to agree to and not out in public. Trump violates all of their rules and protocols by being a boorish idiot to start with and using accepted methods of government like bribing and threatening foreign leaders  to go beyond that level and out a member of the club - Joe Biden in public.

But, when it comes to the rest of us, it doesn't matter a crap what color we are or where we're from, but these are just convenient categories for the ruling classes to use and apply to divide us. So, long story short again, any self-proclaimed activists who are focusing on racism in places like Appalachia or the closed factory towns, are helping to rub salt in those divisions and keep people divided and unable to challenge the privileged minority who govern and manipulate us.

3 hours ago, dialamah said:

Why would you want to whip up hatred against anyone?   What good does it do?  

I already started blocking him mainly because he has no wisdom or maturity  to understand the term - Blowback! A lot of people need to learn this in an era where waging war has become easy and lucrative for the aggressors. And it's easier for other conservatives in Europe and over here, to blame the refugees who have been forced to flee for their lives from countries layed waste by US & Allied use of military force for political and economic objectives!

Every conservative about to do a rant about immigrants should be obliged to sit down and listen to war refugees and even economic refugees, who despite the childish chest-thumping beliefs about Canada and the US, Don Cherry and likeminded have, did not abandon family and everything they had to travel half way around the world because they decided on a whim they wanted to try something different!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Right To Left said:

!

Every conservative about to do a rant about immigrants should be obliged to sit down and listen to war refugees and even economic refugees, who despite the childish chest-thumping beliefs about Canada and the US, Don Cherry and likeminded have, did not abandon family and everything they had to travel half way around the world because they decided on a whim they wanted to try something different!

So true - leaving family/country behind is not easy.  It requires a certain personality, which values change and new experiences - something that conservatives, by and large, do not have.  This is why its so ludicrous to believe that very conservatives types are going to be moving to Canada in droves and 'taking over' or some such.  Most conservatives types are going to want to remain close to what's familiar and traditional, not go hieing off to a foreign land that is unfamiliar and lacks the tradition and history that conservatives value.  By default, we get the people who are the most liberal, open-minded and willing to change coming into our country, even if they fall into the 'more conservative' range by Western standards.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rue said:

Don Cherry actually will be the first to tell you he was a lousy coach and be the first to tell you an idiot could coach a team with Bobby Orr and still win because of Orr. He never claimed to be anything but a lousy coach.

Next its not conservative propaganda to say wear a poppy. Honouring the sacrifice people made so we can live in freedom is not a conservative or liberal exercise.

So the words "you people"  offends you...  Got it. Your opinion of those 2 words and what they mean  now gives you the right to censor him and vilify him and demonstrate the very behavior soldiers died to try prevent from being imposed on Canadians. Got it.

I'm old enough to recall that Remembrance Day used to be about remembering past wars and the sacrifices of soldiers who served in past wars. And I got to tell you that the old First World War veterans I recall when I was younger never got the respect the WWII and later veterans received...even from the WWII vets themselves! 

When I was young and not sure what to do with my life at a time when Canada was in the middle of a prolonged recession, I signed up to join the Canadian Armed Forces, and my father...who was a vet who was held back in the leadup to Normandy and sent over for the Occupation and the unexpected last gasp of the Nazis: the Battle of the Bulge..thought it was a stupid idea to want to join the Army, but he never liked talking about the War and didn't really feel like trying to explain why he had such a negative attitude about the War, the Army, and just about everyone in positions of authority. He was a radical way ahead of his time I suppose! His thinking was always that the guys who had the best and the most war stories to tell others who would listen, were the ones who did nothing but listen to war stories they were told and made them their own. So, he was one vet who ignored Remembrance Day and any parades and accolades that came with it

2 minutes ago, dialamah said:

So true - leaving family/country behind is not easy.  It requires a certain personality, which values change and new experiences - something that conservatives, by and large, do not have.  This is why its so ludicrous to believe that very conservatives types are going to be moving to Canada in droves and 'taking over' or some such.  Most conservatives types are going to want to remain close to what's familiar and traditional, not go hieing off to a foreign land that is unfamiliar and lacks the tradition and history that conservatives value.  By default, we get the people who are the most liberal, open-minded and willing to change coming into our country, even if they fall into the 'more conservative' range by Western standards.

Yes, especially when you're country has played a part in causing mass migrations, it takes a pretty thick head or some level of sociopathic thinking to just write them off as disposable! 

43 minutes ago, Right To Left said:

I'm old enough to recall that Remembrance Day used to be about remembering past wars and the sacrifices of soldiers who served in past wars. And I got to tell you that the old First World War veterans I recall when I was younger never got the respect the WWII and later veterans received...even from the WWII vets themselves! 

When I was young and not sure what to do with my life at a time when Canada was in the middle of a prolonged recession, I signed up to join the Canadian Armed Forces, and my father...who was a vet who was held back in the leadup to Normandy and sent over for the Occupation and the unexpected last gasp of the Nazis: the Battle of the Bulge..thought it was a stupid idea to want to join the Army, but he never liked talking about the War and didn't really feel like trying to explain why he had such a negative attitude about the War, the Army, and just about everyone in positions of authority. He was a radical way ahead of his time I suppose! His thinking was always that the guys who had the best and the most war stories to tell others who would listen, were the ones who did nothing but listen to war stories they were told and made them their own. So, he was one vet who ignored Remembrance Day and any parades and accolades that came with it

I'd ask you to say thanks to your father for me that I'm not speaking in German right now, among many other things.  

On 11/14/2019 at 11:32 PM, Zeitgeist said:

I don’t think people like Jacee realize the real and lasting hurt that firing someone like Don Cherry causes.

I think people like Jacee are delighted in causing hurt to anyone who is white and male and straight.

57 minutes ago, Right To Left said:

Yes, especially when you're country has played a part in causing mass migrations,

Canada has done nothing to cause mass migrations. Unless you're talking about Trudeau tweeting out that Canada welcomed all, and thus inspiring tens of thousands to jump the queue by coming to our border and calling themselves refuygees.

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

So true - leaving family/country behind is not easy.  It requires a certain personality, which values change and new experiences - something that conservatives, by and large, do not have.  This is why its so ludicrous to believe that very conservatives types are going to be moving to Canada in droves and 'taking over' or some such. 

Virtually all Muslims are highly conservative by western secular standards. Those women who wear hijabs and burkas and niqabs are highly conservative in their fundamental values and beliefs.

3 hours ago, jacee said:

So you stand by your statement that all white males are racist.  Wow.  That’s all I need to know about you.  If any employer knew about your beliefs you would be in serious trouble.   I didn’t used to think people like you really existed.  Now I see that you’re part of a dangerous trend.  

6 hours ago, jacee said:

White male behaviour in hiring is racist. That's a well-proven fact. 

Me reporting the truth about that scientific fact ... not racist. 

You claiming I'm being racist in reporting facts of racism in hiring ... twisting and spinning nonsense.

Another racist comment.
You’re a hideous racist jacee, and it’s not surprising that you don’t even see it based on how seriously lacking all of your other observations are. 

4 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Do you see a factual statement somewhere MH, or just a baseless, unsupported accusation from a racist? 

Without a pile of stats and their accurate, insightful interpretation that comment is undiluted racist tripe. 

Go fish. As usual. 

5 hours ago, dialamah said:

So true - leaving family/country behind is not easy. 

Sorry Dialamah. TBH, we know people from the ME who are actually really awesome.

My wife's best friend of over 20 years is from Jordan and her husband was from Lebanon. They're both Christian but they have a lot of friends here who are muslim. (One of them is an atrocious, evil dickhead who actually worked at the UN) There's a guy named "Zed" who she calls a "cousin" who's a Palestinian and he's one of the nicest guys I ever met. He's actually not caught up in the hatred and BS the way that a lot of Canadians actually are. 

9 hours ago, Right To Left said:

Yeah, Chretien wasn't exactly a profile in courage, but most of us who weren't fans understood that there were a lot of threats dished out by the Bush Admin for refusing to go along with the Iraq Invasion, so he had to do at least the bare minimum in Afghanistan. If that changed in 05 as you say, then it's a good thing Chretien was out, or it would have been no better with Paul Martin in charge! But my point about chicken hawks, which are all over the media and political spectrum.for the past 20 years, is that they need to show something more than a superficial understanding of the war plans our government and the US are up to before troops are sent in, and also before the bombing starts! If you're active duty, you have to go, whether you think it's a worthwhile operation or not! But looking at the US example, which the chicken hawks want Canada to follow, the majority of citizens in both countries see war as someone else's problem, since there's no draft or even conscription, as there was at the outset of WWII when my father and his brothers (except one who couldn't pass a physical) joined the Army and were later sent off to fight. In the US, the volunteers are sometimes called "The Other One Percent" because they are volunteering out of economic necessity, and have no chances for jobs or education unless they join one of the services.  

But tell me one thing: what I've heard from actual Afghanis who have managed to emigrate to Canada and even a young vet who was in Kandahar during that time, but was out before Harper took over and wanted the Canadian Forces to be as aggressive (and hated by the locals) kicking in doors and grabbing everyone accused of being Taleban, was that during his tour, the locals did not look upon Canadian and other Euro allies in the same way as the Americans, who were hated by everyone- Taleban and tribal chieftains they were fighting against. There were rumors that the Taleban were deliberately avoiding engaging Canadians and concentrating their efforts on the Americans. But this is not something some one dimensional clown like Don Cherry would ever be listening or paying attention to, since it doesn't fit on a bumper sticker!

Your giving Chretien way to much credit, It was the military that shut him down,  we were not manned or equipped enough for Afghanistan what would make you think we could handle Iraq, which was equipped better than we were, but that is a source of pride in Canada..... that was the Ongoing joke we could always use capture equipment to bring home.... ....It was Chretien that had to save face, and against being advised to stay out of Afghanistan as well due to lack of training and proper equipment he sent us anyways, and it cost more than a few lives in the process...Martin is another liberal that wanted to be the military's friend....He moved us to Kandahar , the home of the Taliban, and we were smack in the middle of it, because it was where we could make the most difference the government said.......I spent 3 tours in that shit hole as an Infanteer and I can tell you the Taliban did not care who you where,  every coalition soldier had a price on their heads including Canadians , You had to be aggressive to survive, read OP medusa...and tell me thats not aggressive.. like I said we were sent by our government  to close with and destroy the bad guys, ALL of the bad guys, we even had the support of the people back home then....then you guys got bored shortly after and we started to pay for that lack of support with our lives..

A lot of the euro nations could not or did not get involved in the fighting....it was all political...we pushed the Taliban out of the Kandahar area , not by handing out blankets and teddy bears, but by putting them in the ground...It was during this time that most of Canadians back home lost interest, sure most of them bought those bumper stickers ,,,, but thats were the support stopped... Afghanistan went from a Canadian mission to a DND mission it was up to our military members to carry this mission, the entire mission costs came out of DND budget, meaning it ran in the red ,  routine training in Canada was stopped, if you we not training to go over to Afghanistan there was no training dollars, no ammo, no nothing no equipment , no training , unless it was free, and today even getting someone opinion cost money.......what DND did not cover,  we the soldiers took out of our pockets , to build fire halls , hospitals , schools, etc all of it paid by our donations...SO when you attack someone , one of the few that supported soldiers , they tend to get defensive...Don Cherry knew all to well the score, he visited the trauma center in Kandahar which was constantly filled...with soldiers in various battle field wounds, he listened to soldiers stories.. For some one dimensional clown, he was passionate about bragging up soldiers, showing support, shaking hands , listening to every soldier story,  more than I can say about the majority of Canadians..  

He has already said he should have chosen his words differently, and if he had to do it over he would....

10 hours ago, Right To Left said:

I'm old enough to recall that Remembrance Day used to be about remembering past wars and the sacrifices of soldiers who served in past wars.

I've found that it has been subtly transformed into revisionist self serving government propaganda, like the fairys and the unicorns of left wing Canada went about spreading freedom and democracy with the help of the CBC and Peter Mansbridge,  oh yeah,  and some guys got killed,  so that was sad.

13 hours ago, Teena said:

Lol ... Your certainly different Dougie93 but a good different :)

I concede that I am a stranger in my own land now, but it's relatively recently that Canada was taken over by far left kooks and Millennials who do nothing but stare at their phones all day.  

Edited by Dougie93