Are humans really responsible for climate change?

49 minutes ago, cannuck said:

editing mess!

49 minutes ago, cannuck said:

1.   A single large forest fire can put out far more carbon emissions that all of our efforts during the same time.  Mother nature dwarfs us when it comes to...well, just about everything.  But: I do have to admit that I have since done some reading and find I was in error.  The sum of some of the obvious natural emissions are still under what is generally claimed as anthropogenic contributions.  Where I believe the large errors in most assessments come from is the release of oxides of carbon from the oceans - which are by far the largest sink for CO2 of all.   From what I have read, the cycle is ocean temp UP = massive carbon release, whereas most claims assume it is the greenhouse gas/warming that raises ocean temp.  Of course, if the accumulated frozen CO2 in oceans ever gets released, we are gonners.  In the long story of climate change on earth, we have been at extremely high carbon levels (thus where all of that limestone comes from) and will probably get back to that whether our species is here on not.

What is 100% accurate is that population = anthro emissions in pretty much direct proportion.

2.  I wish I knew the answer, but all I can say for certain if we do NOT do this by planning, it will happen by execution.  Read that in several ways, it comes down to the same thing.

Edited by cannuck

Humans are partly responsible. The effluent of many life forms that humans grow & rear for food is partly responsible. Changes to the very matter of earth are partly responsible. How each part may be countered with what mankind has already discovered plus what mankind may discover plus the actual but undiscoverable are all facing us. in other words we don't know.

Part of the story we do know how to fix. So sensible humans take action now. Not sensible humans need to put up or shut up'

This is all one of  those things that shouldn't have to be asked.

48 minutes ago, Billious said:

Humans are partly responsible. The effluent of many life forms that humans grow & rear for food is partly responsible. Changes to the very matter of earth are partly responsible. How each part may be countered with what mankind has already discovered plus what mankind may discover plus the actual but undiscoverable are all facing us. in other words we don't know.

Part of the story we do know how to fix. So sensible humans take action now. Not sensible humans need to put up or shut up'

This is all one of  those things that shouldn't have to be asked.

No, you have that backwards.  We do know what is causing it, and we don't know how to fix it.  Not beyond the realm of fantasy, anyway.

44 minutes ago, egghead said:

Unlike you, I don't pretend I know. I just don't know, and I am skeptical about it. 

It's entirely appropriate to be skeptical because you think you know something the vast VAST majority of scientists don't know but it's utterly ridiculous to suggest ignorance provides any kind of a sound basis for skepticism.

Yes of course we both know what humans directly & indirectly are doing & the fix but we don't know what the rest of the universe will do. We should certainly fix what we do know as a problem & at the same time keep a close eye on what the universe is doing reacting accordingly. 

16 hours ago, eyeball said:

It's entirely appropriate to be skeptical because you think you know something the vast VAST majority of scientists don't know but it's utterly ridiculous to suggest ignorance provides any kind of a sound basis for skepticism.

funding driven scientists can kiss my "you know what" :rolleyes:

First of all, climate is never static. Thinking we are the major reason for climate changing is same as saying gender is the major reason that female tennis players are paid less. Then, you only need to study china environmental issues in the last 20 years. Climate changing is not same as environmental crisis.

On 12/30/2018 at 9:56 AM, sillywalker said:

The climate on this great planet of ours has been cyclical since the beginning of time and it continually heats and cools with an ice age about every 100,000 years , these are facts that they do not dispute . People have a small tiny part but for the most part the government sees it as an easy scare tactic to get more taxes from people.

If this or any government was truly worried about the carbon footprint they would start by protecting our water sources because there is absolutely no use worrying about five hundred years from now if we have no water tomorrow. How long do humans live without water? People please think about it and use common sense .

I agree. Carbon tax (btw - created by the conservatives - first resisted but now championed by the liberals) will not stop the pollution. Multi-billionaire dollar companies will continue to pollute the earth and will happily pay a few bucks. It's a useless system.

We need legislation to stop shit like this:

Remember the Mount Polley mine disaster? It’s worse than you thought. The company responsible is now pumping untreated mine waste straight into Quesnel Lake. Not only has Imperial Metals never faced fines or charges, they’re still polluting this prime sockeye salmon lake.

Right before Premier Christy Clark left office, her government gave Imperial Metals a permit to lay two 24” pipes straight into the lake. Combined, they can discharge more than fifty million litres a day. That waste includes arsenic, ammonia and toxic heavy metals.

Local residents are fighting this threat to their drinking water. But Imperial Metals is using high-powered lawyers and procedural tricks to slow down their permit appeal. It’s time for the government to step in.

Edited by marcus
  • Like 1

This can't be true, BC is full of tree huggers who love the environment when it might include a big payday, why are the tribal leaders allowing this to happen, why are the peaceniks not setting up road blocks and protesting....How is this any different to the logging industry destroying streams and rivers with untreated chemicals, how is this any different  than cities and towns in BC  pumping bils of liters of untreated human waste daily into the ocean, lakes and water ways...because THERE IS NO PAY DAY INVOVLED...

3 hours ago, Army Guy said:

This can't be true, BC is full of tree huggers who love the environment when it might include a big payday, why are the tribal leaders allowing this to happen, why are the peaceniks not setting up road blocks and protesting....How is this any different to the logging industry destroying streams and rivers with untreated chemicals, how is this any different  than cities and towns in BC  pumping bils of liters of untreated human waste daily into the ocean, lakes and water ways...because THERE IS NO PAY DAY INVOVLED...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Polley_mine_disaster#Political_responses

Indigenous political activists led by Kanahus Manuel set up blockades and held numerous community based protests against Imperial Metals following the disaster.[21]

I suspect you'd happily crack down on the head's of activists like Kanahus Manuel should your nation ask you defend its interests from the sort of response you're trolling for. Why? Because there'd be a payday in it.

Why would cracking these peoples heads be any different than blowing away terrorists? 

7 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

More fake news from those global elite lizard people regarding evidence of climate change:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/patagonia-ice-field-split-climate-change-1.5147759

Sarcasm is very difficult to pick up in text mode, as there's no inflection.  You can wrap it in a tag like this: <sarcasm>I'm sure everyone will appreciate that</sarcasm>

20 hours ago, eyeball said:

I suspect you'd happily crack down on the head's of activists like Kanahus Manuel should your nation ask you defend its interests from the sort of response you're trolling for. Why? Because there'd be a payday in it.

Why would cracking these peoples heads be any different than blowing away terrorists? 

They started protesting after the disaster happened, not before, so yes the government had to do something to calm the people.....but there was people in BC that did profit from it...the protesters were trying to get their slice of the pie.....

The controlling shareholder of Imperial Metals is billionaire N. Murray Edwards. He donated half a million dollars in campaign contributions to the B.C. Liberal party since 2005 and helped organize a $1-million fundraiser for B.C. Premier Christy Clark’s re-election.[23]

Imperial Metals & Power Ltd was incorporated in British Columbia in December 1959. Besides the Mount Polley open pit copper mine and gold mine, it owns the Red Chris copper/gold mine and has a 50% interest in the Huckleberry open pit copper mine and the Ruddock Creek zinc/lead project.[24]

And while I still like to make fun of peace niks and tree huggers like you eyeball, by starting up chain saws at 1 am under your tree, I don't feel the urge to bash your skull in, or for that matter any protestor. And there is no payday in it except the enjoyment of watching them climb down from their trees in a mad panic….

How is it different, well tree huggers have a lot of time on their hands, don't normally work, those that do work are not corporate, or institutional  material, not very motivated, they like smoking dope, I mean who does not, but they smoke more than the average Canadian, they are hippies, hipsters, slow moving targets, want things handed to them on a platter, they are owed and want pay back.....they think they are doing it for our own good, most will grow out of that phase, some will remain their entire lives....sucking of the nations teats forever... ...

Terrorists, well they are industrious lot,  willing to do anything for their cause, including giving up their own lives ....they like smoking dope because it  helps them perform all the sick, perverted, and twisted things they do....they come in all sizes and shapes including corporate, types, doctors, lawyers, even a few twisted tree huggers " not really I made that up only the tree hugger bit"....and once they grow out of that phase they to will spend the rest of their lives sucking off the nations teats, or dead in some ditch in some middle eastern country.... after a healthy payout because some liberal thought letting them rot in some prison was a bad thing to do, funny how most of the nation disagreed with that pay out...including a lot of liberals....I'd gladly put a bullet in any terrorist head see the difference... tree huggers/ peace niks/ professional protestors are protected by law , you can make fun of them, spray the shit out of them with pepper spray, even throw them to the ground and slap handcuffs on them, and bundle for arrest.... ….but you can't shot them

Now terrorists on the other hand , well our nation " this includes you to eyeball" sanctioned the killing as many as our military and our coalition of nations could … we did arrest shit tonnes of them, but the objective was to rid them from the planet when ever we could....all under the orders of our nation....see the difference, ones protected, the other was to be destroyed  ..

5 hours ago, Army Guy said:

How is it different, well tree huggers have a lot of time on their hands, don't normally work, those that do work are not corporate, or institutional  material, not very motivated, they like smoking dope, I mean who does not, but they smoke more than the average Canadian, they are hippies, hipsters, slow moving targets, want things handed to them on a platter, they are owed and want pay back.....they think they are doing it for our own good, most will grow out of that phase, some will remain their entire lives....sucking of the nations teats forever... ...

You are doing some stereotyping and for the most part you are totally wrong.   Now get this; I am a guy who spends most of his spare time in nature, climbing mountain peaks, fishing or looking for wildlife to take pictures of.  I do have a job, do not smoke pot and never had, do not smoke cigarettes and never had, I drive a small car, but can happily ride a bike too if everyone else would do the same (for safety reasons). I pick up garbage after those that do not care.  Just this night I spent another 3 hours work destroying a trailer than someone dumped by my popular trail to the river.  Garbage is still a small offense compared to a spill but it all adds up.

So this is where I live, and this is my dog (pictures attached)   In those pictures you will see the Thompson river by Spences Bridge.   The same river that Kinder Morgan is so bent on destroying after its steelhead run was destroyed by the fishing industry and the total lack of care of DFO.

I hope you understand that if someone wants to shove a pipeline through my paradise to ship dilbit to China, I might tell them to go and shove that same pipeline up their asses.

As to terrorism, it is a very broad subject.  To me Trump, Jason Kenney, McKenna and the oil and gas sector are all terrorists.

2018_KITW_10.jpg

2018_KITW_11.jpg

2018_KITW_23.jpg

2019_KAMLOOPS_81.jpg

2019_KAMLOOPS_96.jpg

2019_Kincolith_34.jpg

2019_LLake_04.jpg

Edited by cougar
  • Like 1

Fascinating how people who arrogantly sneer at climate science still use microwave ovens and GPS's.  Are you sure those people in your TV screen are just pictures being beamed in from somewhere else?  Maybe there are actually little people inside your TV.  Better take it apart to be sure.