Bill O'Reilly - Rightist Beacon and Reprobate

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/fox-news-host-bill-o-reilly-loses-custody-of-his-children-after-alleged-domestic-violence-incident-a6904336.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/04/business/media/sexual-harassment-bill-oreilly-fox.html?_r=0

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/05/media/donald-trump-defends-bill-oreilly/

Mr O’Reilly’s 17-year-old daughter told a court-appointed forensic examiner last year that she saw her father dragging her mother down a staircase by the neck.

Following an investigation by The New York Times over the weekend that revealed multiple settlements over allegations of sexual harassment or other inappropriate behavior by Mr. O’Reilly, the network faced a major advertising revolt as more than a dozen marketers said that they were withdrawing their ads from “The O’Reilly Factor.” Escalating the tension, the National Organization for Women called for Mr. O’Reilly to be fired and said an independent investigation should be conducted into the culture at Fox News.

"I think he's a person I know well — he is a good person," Trump told the Times. "I think he shouldn't have settled; personally I think he shouldn't have settled. Because you should have taken it all the way. I don't think Bill did anything wrong."

I am sincerely starting to miss the role religion once had in our society.  The thing I did admire - at one time - about conservatives was the idea of principled and moral behaviour.  You can say that religion only covered up moral failings and propped up hypocrisy but we live in a world today with no shame.

And - yes - it probably started with Bill Clinton and his much defended sexual harassment.

Where is the shame today ?  Who are the moral leaders, I ask you...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/fox-news-host-bill-o-reilly-loses-custody-of-his-children-after-alleged-domestic-violence-incident-a6904336.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/04/business/media/sexual-harassment-bill-oreilly-fox.html?_r=0

Mr O’Reilly’s 17-year-old daughter told a court-appointed forensic examiner last year that she saw her father dragging her mother down a staircase by the neck.

Following an investigation by The New York Times over the weekend that revealed multiple settlements over allegations of sexual harassment or other inappropriate behavior by Mr. O’Reilly, the network faced a major advertising revolt as more than a dozen marketers said that they were withdrawing their ads from “The O’Reilly Factor.” Escalating the tension, the National Organization for Women called for Mr. O’Reilly to be fired and said an independent investigation should be conducted into the culture at Fox News.

"I think he's a person I know well — he is a good person," Trump told the Times. "I think he shouldn't have settled; personally I think he shouldn't have settled. Because you should have taken it all the way. I don't think Bill did anything wrong."

I am sincerely starting to miss the role religion once had in our society.  The thing I did admire - at one time - about conservatives was the idea of principled and moral behaviour.  You can say that religion only covered up moral failings and propped up hypocrisy but we live in a world today with no shame.

And - yes - it probably started with Bill Clinton and his much defended sexual harassment.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

The thing I did admire - at one time - about conservatives was the idea of principled and moral behaviour.

When did this ever happen?  Priests have been raping and beating children for a century or more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

Right but did people stand by them and say their behaviour was ok ? 

Sure...  or blamed the victim...   or hid their transgressions well.

• Like 1

I don't think it started with Clinton... Men have been treating women like shit for thousands of years, and religion has historically supported the idea that women are worth less. The more secular society becomes the better women are treated. Stories like this might make it seem like all hell is breaking loose, but just a short time ago women could not even testify against their husbands in court. There are still people alive today that lived in a world where women could not vote.

Women are much better off in societies that are less religious. Billo is just a loser... no matter what happens in society there will always be some of them.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, dre said:

I don't think it started with Clinton... Men have been treating women like shit for thousands of years, and religion has historically supported the idea that women are worth less. The more secular society becomes the better women are treated. Stories like this might make it seem like all hell is breaking loose, but just a short time ago women could not even testify against their husbands in court. There are still people alive today that lived in a world where women could not vote.

Women are much better off in societies that are less religious. Billo is just a loser... no matter what happens in society there will always be some of them.

I doubt your claim that religious are worse offenders than secular people, with the exception of Islam.   Christianity in the age of the apostles would have treated their women very well because christianity was new at that time and the bible teaches women must be treated with great respect.  I don't think you have any proof that women are better off in societies that are less religious.  Also what countries are "less religious"?   Russia passed a law recently making it legal to beat wives.

5 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

As I said, though, people proudly stood by him and ignored the clear workplace harassment that was taking place.  Democrats did this.

What sexual act occurred in the Oval Office with Bill Clinton?

I have read reports that John Kennedy asked a young woman to perform a sexual act on another man - in the White House pool.

Michael, would you consider these two examples "workplace harassment"?

======

I am not excusing/explaining - deflecting - the behaviour of Bill O'Reilly. I don't know enough about the case. But partisan politics being what they are (and I far prefer partisan politics to a cosy bi-partisan Euroworld), sauce for the goose is also sauce for the gander.

When Obama was president, he seemed to be in bed with all those cute chicks - except that Fox who refused his advances.   

Edited by August1991

9 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Sexual abuse and spousal abuse is as old as the hills I would guess.  Many accuse christian leaders, televangelists with being the biggest sexual offenders.  I don't think so.  There has been a significant number of priests in the Roman church who have been implicated in sexual abuse, probably because they take a vow of chastity and they are given an inordinate trust over people with the confessional.  They are naturally looked up to by their followers.  Chastity is an unnatural and near impossible vow to keep for many people. 

As for domestic abuse, I believe the Canadian government spends several billions dollars a year on police services (plus provincial social services) to answer calls of domestic abuse.  I think we would find alcohol plays a major part in it and it does not favour one political party supporter over another.   Around 1900, the turn of the century and early 20th century in the U.S., alcoholism was a huge problem.  Men drinking in saloons was extremely common and drunkeness was widespread across the U.S. and of course followed by spousal abuse.  When men went home drunk, they often abused their wives.  Women formed organizations and fought it, a few even going into bars and smashing the bottles of liquor.  The problems and political pressure and marches by these women's groups led to prohibition.  Of course many illegal drinking holes and boot-legging sprung up run by organized crime.  But a major cause of the abuse has been alcoholism.  It is not sensible to claim or suggest somehow that it is linked to Trump supporters simply because one right wing radio personality was caught abusing his wife.  Spousal abuse crosses all party lines just as alcoholism does.

Edited by blackbird

2 hours ago, August1991 said:

1) What sexual act occurred in the Oval Office with Bill Clinton?

2) I have read reports that John Kennedy asked a young woman to perform a sexual act on another man - in the White House pool.

Michael, would you consider these two examples "workplace harassment"?

======

3) I am not excusing/explaining - deflecting - the behaviour of Bill O'Reilly. I don't know enough about the case. But partisan politics being what they are (and I far prefer partisan politics to a cosy bi-partisan Euroworld), sauce for the goose is also sauce for the gander.

4) When Obama was president, he seemed to be in bed with all those cute chicks - except that Fox who refused his advances.   

1) ?  You haven't heard of the Lewinsky scandal ?

2) I don't know the details of the JFK incident.  You don't say whether JFK was the employer of these people, nor do I understand the relevance of this example.

3) Ok - you seem to be mistaking immoral behaviour with the openly immoral - and defended - behaviour I'm talking about.

4) Obama had no personal scandals in his presidency, nor did GW Bush.

34 minutes ago, Topaz said:

My understanding is he settled out of court, so does that mean money take away the abuse for the woman?

From what I heard on CBC yesterday, the total worth of those settlements was between 12 and 13 million. That's no chump change.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-04-05 at 6:58 PM, Michael Hardner said:

The Taliban and ISIS agree with you.

On 4/22/2017 at 10:42 PM, hot enough said:

It's weird that O'Lielly gets a $25 million severance when he is basically being fired. Fired for deeply amoral behavior, not by Fox standards of course but the community at large. Would an average guy or gal get a severance package if they had done the same sort of things.

Most people aren't paid to be rude - that's what made him a star - and Fox just signed a new contract with him for some strange reason.  

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

I Think I'll go to work for faux news. I'll spread fake news stories every day, and then when I get to be a star, I'll do a "Donald Trump" on some of the women, and then collect my yuuuuge payout and go on a lengthy "vacation" with Jesse Waters . It's gonna  be "bigly I tell ya, bigly". 

Anybody got Rupert's number?