America under President Trump

31 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

All this proves is that leftists turn out in larger numbers,

No, what all this proves is that Trump is a pathological liar and anyone who represents him or his administration will lie shameless, despite how obvious their lies are to everyone they're lying to. Even on something as unimportant as attendance at a speech.

3 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Whatever the reason for the higher turnout, why does the Trump administration lie about it?

Both of his ex-wives say that he's childish. Ivanna recounted a story where she beat him on a skiing run, and he was so mad that he took off his skis and went back to the hotel and wouldn't even talk to her.  His current wife says that sometimes she has two little boys living in her home-- her son and her husband. Trump himself said he still has the same temperment he had when he was in first grade.

"My party was bigger! My party was better! You're lying, my party was the biggest party ever! I had better cake and more presents! Your party was stupid! My party was better than your stupid party! Sean says so! Tell them my party was the best party, Sean! My party was the funnest! Everybody had more fun at my party! My party! Mom! Tell them my party was best!"  -first grade temperment.

-k

39 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Whatever the reason for the higher turnout, why does the Trump administration lie about it?

I have asked many Trump supporters how they reconcile being lied to so overtly and with such disrespect for their intelligence, but they never seem to know what I'm talking about. This is why I have come to the conclusion that human beings in general are much stupider than I thought they were.

3 hours ago, Argus said:

A true Christian would understand that we judge people by their actions, not their words.

Everybody makes mistakes.  Everybody sins.  If  the sinner says he believes in God - it's not for me to judge that he doesn't.  He'll have God to answer to someday.

1 minute ago, BubberMiley said:

I have asked many Trump supporters how they reconcile being lied to so overtly and with such disrespect for their intelligence, but they never seem to know what I'm talking about. This is why I have come to the conclusion that human beings in general are much stupider than I thought they were.

I know.  It's pretty amazing.   People do fall for liars all the time, but usually not when they're so blatant about it.

Trump:   Look, the sky is green!  

Trump supporter:  Holy Conservative, so it is!   

Media:  No, it's blue!

Trump:  Lying media!  

Trump supporter:  Fake news!  Liberals are running the media!

16 hours ago, Omni said:

I certainly don't watch, but I did watch a more reputable source from south of the border today. After I watched the speech. My my!.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/21/politics/trump-to-cia-i-am-so-behind-you/

"Former CIA Director Brennan is deeply saddened and angered at Donald Trump's despicable display of self-aggrandizement in front of CIA's Memorial Wall of Agency heroes," Nick Shapiro said in a statement. "Brennan says that Trump should be ashamed of himself."

What do you expect?

Why do you think he had to step down as CIA Director?  Brennan was an Obama appointee! :lol:

Here's the video of that visit:

Edited by betsy

28 minutes ago, Omni said:

Why do you igmore the point? 

What point?  He was talking about the dishonest media - it started about the CIA!

So he rambled on - he's got that habit, you know.   You ought to be used to it by now - it happened a lot in his rallies, even during the Presidential debates......

I don't know why Brennan's got his boxer shorts tied in knots over this - Trump talking by that memorial wall.  Like as if Trump had anything to do where they'll put him up to talk!  Brennan's being petty.  And bitchy. :lol:

Edited by betsy

3 minutes ago, betsy said:

What point?  He was talking about the dishonest media - it started about the CIA!

So he rambled on - he's got that habit, you know.   You ought to be used to it by now - it happened a lot in his rallies, even during the Presidential debates......

I don't know why Brennan's got his boxer shorts tied in knots over this - Trump talking by that memorial wall.  Like as if Trump had anything to do where they'll put him up to talk!  Brennan's being petty.  And bitchy. :lol:

He was lying about his GD attendance #'s and yep, still bitching about the press while standing in front of a wall that honors 117 dead people who lost their lives in the line of duty. All this after having referred to the CIA as nazi Germany. Of course he should be ashamed. 

2 hours ago, betsy said:

Everybody makes mistakes.  Everybody sins.  If  the sinner says he believes in God - it's not for me to judge that he doesn't.  He'll have God to answer to someday.

Simply saying you believe in God is insufficient. Muslims believe in God, too. So do Hindus. That doesn't make them Christian.

Christianity admits all men make mistakes and sin, true. Trump, however, has never admitted his sinfulness and wickedness, nor ever asked for God's help in repenting or for His forgiveness. Christianity does not forgive sinfulness when the sinner shows no repentance nor any inclination to stop his sinful behaviour.

I was fascinated by that press conference because I'd never seen anything like it before, and there is some interesting analysis of it out there. Apparently questioning unquestionable facts creates an environment where a large segment of the population becomes confused and starts to think that everything they see and read can't be trusted, and it reinforces the important notion that the MSM has created an alternate universe where nothing is true. It also encourages people to disengage from politics completely because it's too hard for them to understand, thereby giving the rulers the ability to do whatever they want with little protest. This has been a tactic in Russia for many years, but it's still quite new to western politics, although I guess it is being used with some success among climate deniers.

Edited by BubberMiley

40 minutes ago, BubberMiley said:

I was fascinated by that press conference because I'd never seen anything like it before, and there is some interesting analysis of it out there. Apparently questioning unquestionable facts creates an environment where a large segment of the population becomes confused and starts to think that everything they see and read can't be trusted, and it reinforces the important notion that the MSM has created an alternate universe where nothing is true. It also encourages people to disengage from politics completely because it's too hard for them to understand, thereby giving the rulers the ability to do whatever they want with little protest. This has been a tactic in Russia for many years, but it's still quite new to western politics, although I guess it is being used with some success among climate deniers.

If you look at the alt-right media like Brietbart, you'll see them carrying Spicer's denunciations of the media without any contradiction, agreeing with him that the media lied, and congratulating him on 'calling out the lying media'. It is part of the way dictators act, and in a land where they can't outright ban a critical press, they try to convince at least their supporters, not to believe the media because the media is dishonest. If you repeat a lie often enough, as Goebbels said, some people are going to start believing you. And since the people who voted Republican in the first place tend to be a pretty weak minded lot, I can see him having some success with this.

Kellyanne Conway in an interview said Spicer didn't lie, he was simply presenting 'alternative facts' as if there was an alternative to a fact other than a lie.

Edited by Argus

17 minutes ago, Argus said:

Kellyanne Conway in an interview said Spicer didn't lie, he was simply presenting 'alternative facts' as if there was an alternative to a fact other than a lie.

I saw that!  I, for one, fully embrace this new idea where we can simply create "alternative facts" to support our preferred narrative.

Fact: Sean Spicer came out and flat out lied to the press.

Alternative fact: Sean Spicer came out and presented Alternative Facts!

Fact: Trump's inauguration crowd did not measure up to either of Obama's.

Alternative fact: Trump's inauguration crowd was the biggest ever!

Fact: Today is Sunday and I have to go to work tomorrow.

Alternative fact: Today is Saturday and I get to sleep in tomorrow!

Fact: it's 2 degrees and cloudy.

Alternative fact: It's 29 degrees and sunny!

Fact: ...

Alternative fact: Nobody can turn straw into gold like Kellyanne Conway!

Some conservatives have been complaining that it's sexist that people have been making fun of Kellyanne Conway... but if somebody is going to come out and say stupid crap like trying to rationalize flat out lies as "alternative facts", how can you not laugh at them?

The idea of "alternative facts" is flat out idiocy, and she deserves to be laughed at for saying it.

-k

30 minutes ago, Argus said:

If you look at the alt-right media like Brietbart, you'll see them carrying Spicer's denunciations of the media without any contradiction, agreeing with him that the media lied, and congratulating him on 'calling out the lying media'. It is part of the way dictators act, and in a land where they can't outright ban a critical press, they try to convince at least their supporters, not to believe the media because the media is dishonest. If you repeat a lie often enough, as Goebbels said, some people are going to start believing you. And since the people who voted Republican in the first place tend to be a pretty weak minded lot, I can see him having some success with this.

Weak minded people tend to vote democrat as well and the DNC has some whoppers of their own.  

Point is that when one is in the great game, all sides will use every trick in the book to win.  Mitt Romney learned that lesson the hard way...

5 minutes ago, blueblood said:

Weak minded people tend to vote democrat as well and the DNC has some whoppers of their own.  

Point is that when one is in the great game, all sides will use every trick in the book to win.  Mitt Romney learned that lesson the hard way...

None of this talk is important in the grand scheme of things. What we are seeing is a media that seeks to sensationalize and ridicule everything they can, no matter how trivial. There was even condemnation about the cake at the inaugural party, as if it somehow reflects on the quality of Trump's leadership. This is mere tabloid gossip, nothing more. It completely fascinates the public, and the media cannot stop themselves. Interestingly, it's the same type of dialog that got Trump elected.

Let the naive, reactionary masses crap on themselves. That way they are well-distracted, being obsessed by unimportant things, thereby making Trump's opponents less effective. Man's a genius

5 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Yes, but this is the President of the United States, who doesn't have the character or the smarts to acknowledge the bleedin' obvious.  He apparently does not realize how foolish taking such a position makes him look.

What would you have him acknowledge? That his cake was smaller than Obama's?

Hopefully President Trump realises that he is where he is now as President only because of the quirky electoral system and acts accordingly not to fuel the division of the already divided nation.

Edited by -TSS-

4 minutes ago, -TSS- said:

Hopefully President Trump realises that he is where he is now as President only because of the quirky electoral system and acts accordingly not to fuel the division of the already divided nation.

Trump now has Republican Party brass to deal with as well.  Trump may have a lot of power and political capital now, but if the mid terms don't go good for the republicans, trump will be in a lot of hot water and no amount of tweeting will stop congress from imposing their will.

7 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

What would you have him acknowledge? That his cake was smaller than Obama's?

I never saw his cake. I would have him refrain from claiming things that were not so. I would have him ask his press secretary to refrain from such things as well.  I would also have him ensure his trusted advisors refrained from using phrases such as "alternative facts".  But all that is only if he would like to be taken seriously.  

2 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

I never saw his cake. I would have him refrain from claiming things that were not so. I would have him ask his press secretary to refrain from such things as well.  I would also have him ensure his trusted advisors refrained from using phrases such as "alternative facts".  But all that is only if he would like to be taken seriously.  

Why would he do that compared to any previous administration, including Obama's ?