America under President Trump

9 hours ago, Boges said:

Does Trump have the stomach to order the US military to shoot US civilians in US cities? That's why the US can't win wars anymore. It's easy to dominate people, but restoring order and peace, that's the difficult part. 

It doesn't require them to shoot people. The military went into LA and put an end to the Rodney King riots just by their presence.

The problem here is that the Democratic mayors and governors not only sympathize with the protesters they're desperate to be SEEN to sympathize with them. So they can't bring themselves to take the necessary action to end the riots and looting because that means ending the protests. Can't do one and not the other. The protesters are giving the looters the necessary cover. Since they can't crack down on the protesters, even after curfews, they're largely helpless, hapless and useless.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Argus said:

It doesn't require them to shoot people. The military went into LA and put an end to the Rodney King riots just by their presence.

The problem here is that the Democratic mayors and governors not only sympathize with the protesters they're desperate to be SEEN to sympathize with them. So they can't bring themselves to take the necessary action to end the riots and looting because that means ending the protests. Can't do one and not the other. The protesters are giving the looters the necessary cover. Since they can't crack down on the protesters, even after curfews, they're largely helpless, hapless and useless.

Exactly.  100%.  It’s gotten so bad the Gov. Cuomo has threatened to relieve Mayor De Blasio of his duties if he won’t stop the rioting.  Regardless, law enforcement has many ways to deal with rioters without resorting to gun fire.  There are less lethal options like tasers and bean bag guns if necessary.   Rioters should be arrested and taken into custody.  Held without bail for several days if necessary until the nonsense stops.  Then I’d prosecute every single one of them.  Even if it takes the next 5 years.

I don`t care about Trump, I don`t have a dog in this hunt, but no matter what you think of him,  and I consider myself, if I were American, to be a blue dog Democrat (if there are any left).  Any President would`ve been taken to the bunker, and you know that, but at least he came out and later went out.   Unlike our Dear Leader who cowers in the cottage coming out once a day to tell us all how racist we are  #cowardofthecottage

I will say I think his poor performance on this is going to cost him the election, imagine, Joe Biden for President. 

Edited by scribblet

3 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

.... The chances are, everyone will manage to reach our destination but you will still be watching his every move like a hawk. 

Does that help you understand why we seem to be obsessed by current US Presidential politics. I know some will be afraid, if they change drivers, the next guy might fall asleep at the wheel.

It's another creative analogy (I have read many from Canada over the years), but it happens regardless of who may be the U.S. president...going back decades.  I agree that the cross border psyche and media believes that the U.S. has real and imagined influence over Canada, even as Ottawa roars about sovereign independence.    And it has gotten worse as Canada ingests even more American political media and culture...by choice.

Statistically, you are far more likely to have an incident/accident with your fellow passenger car drivers...better watch them too.   It's not the size of the truck...it is the size of what Canada wants from inside the truck.

Mexico is less obsessed with Trump...but like Canada, also wants what is inside the truck.

The U.S. in one word: Canadians say ‘Trump,’ Mexicans point to ‘money’ and ‘work’

ft_2020.04.06_USoneword_01.png?resize=42

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/04/06/the-u-s-in-one-word-canadians-say-trump-mexicans-point-to-money-and-work/

Edited by bush_cheney2004
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shady said:

Exactly.  100%.  It’s gotten so bad the Gov. Cuomo has threatened to relieve Mayor De Blasio of his duties if he won’t stop the rioting.

Yeah, what Cuomo doesn't point out is that he passed a law which says people arrested for non-violent offenses (which includes minor assaults) cannot be held before their trial. Which means as the NYPD arrest these people they're released without bail within hours. And if they're arrested a second time, a third time, or a fourth time, they'll still be released with no-bail.

5 hours ago, Argus said:

Yeah, what Cuomo doesn't point out is that he passed a law which says people arrested for non-violent offenses (which includes minor assaults) cannot be held before their trial. Which means as the NYPD arrest these people they're released without bail within hours. And if they're arrested a second time, a third time, or a fourth time, they'll still be released with no-bail.

The Police Union in NYC, where the officers are unsupported by their mayor or any sort of National Guardsmen, who are getting pelted with debris and molotov cocktails, and widely hated by the MSM, should go on strike. Just let those smart-ass new yorkers, who don't need cops, see what life is like without them for a couple days. 

15 hours ago, Argus said:

The protesters are giving the looters the necessary cover. Since they can't crack down on the protesters, even after curfews, they're largely helpless, hapless and useless.

And the only real way to do anything is to crack heads. How can you let peaceful protestors protest while extracting looters. Analogous to the US as an occupying force in any Middle East city where they want to keep the peace but the terrorists look exactly like every other civilian. 

Apparently last night the rioting was minimized. I think the protestors know that they lose the public's sympathy when private business gets destroyed. 

5 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

A majority of polled American voters support using the military to get violent protests and rioting under control.

I think we just have to look at the ratings for this to get our answer.  It's fantastic entertainment, so it's hard to say 'no' to those kinds of numbers.  It may even be bad for the economy to not mow down peaceful protesters, if the advertising revenue dips below break-even...

2 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

A majority of polled American voters support using the military to get violent protests and rioting under control.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasreimann/2020/06/02/58-of-voters-support-using-military-to-help-police-control-protests-poll-finds/#6b5cd5b52417

From your article,

But the poll showed a large chunk of voters usually associated with the Democratic Party also are open to deploying troops, with 43% of voters under 34, 40% of self-identified “liberals” and 37% of African-Americans saying they’d support sending in the military to help police.

It could be these voters are hoping the military will stay and protect them from the police.

22 hours ago, scribblet said:

imagine, Joe Biden for President. 

I could imagine it. We have re-elected Justin Trudeau.

When Biden gets elected, the corruption will be silent and efficient. Yet the masses will be oblivious to it, and thus, more happy.

3 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

I could imagine it. We have re-elected Justin Trudeau.

When Biden gets elected, the corruption will be silent and efficient. Yet the masses will be oblivious to it, and thus, more happy.

Biden doesn't have a chance.

He's a drooling moron with a long record of being on the wrong side of history, and actual scandals including one in China, which is not good for an American politician.

The irony in all this, is that his one claim to fame is that he's close with Obama, and it makes him more popular, even though Obama is a catalyst for racial division and violence. 

30 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Actually has a big chance. Drooling morons will vote for him.

You realize Biden is further right than the CPC, don't you? Look at his record in the Senate. Look at his positions on incarcerating young black men for drug crimes. He has always been in line with moderate Republicans like John McCain throughout his whole career.

Oh right. Actual facts don't register here. I forgot. 

Edited by BubberMiley

33 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Actually has a big chance. Drooling morons will vote for him.

You mean like a majority of the Drooling morons? 

The only chance Trump has if the "Drooling Morons" that voted for Obama and didn't vote for Hillary in 3 or 4 states stay home again. 

1 minute ago, Boges said:

You mean like a majority of the Drooling morons? 

The only chance Trump has if the "Drooling Morons" that voted for Obama and didn't vote for Hillary in 3 or 4 states stay home again. 

Those are the two choices.

On 6/2/2020 at 6:18 PM, scribblet said:

I don`t care about Trump, I don`t have a dog in this hunt, but no matter what you think of him,  and I consider myself, if I were American, to be a blue dog Democrat (if there are any left).  Any President would`ve been taken to the bunker, and you know that, but at least he came out and later went out.   Unlike our Dear Leader who cowers in the cottage coming out once a day to tell us all how racist we are  #cowardofthecottage

I will say I think his poor performance on this is going to cost him the election, imagine, Joe Biden for President. 

Well stated but no it will create sympathy for him and get him elected. His entire platform is to invoke fear in Americans of the world and their fellow Americans and then portray himself as their protector. In fact this fuels his reelection campaign  and will cause people to sed Biden siding with the evil of America, blacks, illegals, Chinese.

Civil unrest feeds demagogue fascists. 

2 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Those are the two choices.

Unless a legitimate 3rd candidate surfaces. What would happen let us say if Mitt Romney and Colin Powell ran or one of those two and a middle of the road Democrat? Stranger things have happened.

We still do not know the dem Veep running. Everyone so sure Mrs. Obama won't allow herself to be picked?

Nothing but nothing would surprise me.

What do I know I agree with Jesse Ventura.

4 minutes ago, Boges said:

Is Trump really such a Pro-Military POTUS? He's now 0-2 on Secretary of Defences that like his policies. 

Exactly. He is not pro military at all. He postures as a patriot but he insults at military ceremonies and he evaded service and ridiculed those who served. He fought openly over how to deal with Erdogan, Putin, NATO,  Kim and how to handle Syria. The military hated Obama but Trump as the alternative has been no ally. His closest advisers from the military were quickly fired. Trump has no allies. He is a creature of divide and create chaos with everyone equally to make himself look good.

He is Putin's ideal trojan horse or virus.

2 hours ago, Rue said:

Unless a legitimate 3rd candidate surfaces. What would happen let us say if Mitt Romney and Colin Powell ran or one of those two and a middle of the road Democrat? Stranger things have happened.

We still do not know the dem Veep running. Everyone so sure Mrs. Obama won't allow herself to be picked?

Nothing but nothing would surprise me.

What do I know I agree with Jesse Ventura.

Killary is the secret weapon soon to be unleashed. She is, in my opinion absolutely hands down the perfect VP pick, and would guarantee an election loss by Trump.

All she needs to do now is say on Twitter "oh if only I had been your president, think of how different things might have been", will set the stage for a huge win.

4 hours ago, Boges said:

Is Trump really such a Pro-Military POTUS? He's now 0-2 on Secretary of Defences that like his policies. 

Trump's military policies have yielded near-perfect results: almost no US troops died during Trump's Presidency, no costly ME wars have been started, islamic state ceased to be a landholder 4.5 years ahead of Obama's predicted timeline, all the leaders from the world's 4 biggest terrorist groups have been recycled, NATO members have been shamed into closing in on their budget obligations, etc.

I keep as keen an eye on the success of the military as anyone, and I'm no fan of seeing allied soldiers die or lose ground. If you can see some type of failure by the US military since 2017 I'd love to hear it.