Islamophobia in Canada

2 minutes ago, Omni said:

Every culture has it's rotten apples. It's not rocket science.

Exactly.  If someone talks about rotten apples, why assume they are talking about Golden Delicious?

Edited by bcsapper
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it in the produce aisle - Not Blaise Pascal

Just now, bcsapper said:

Exactly.  If one talks about rotten apples, why assume they are talking about Golden Delicious?

Why assume anyone is assuming that? The bias I see here attempts to do just the opposite.

1 minute ago, Omni said:

Why assume anyone is assuming that? The bias I see here attempts to do just the opposite.

Everyone who has ever argued with me about Islam has done that.  Otherwise they would agree wholeheartedly with me.  Who wouldn't, if we were both talking about rotten apples?

5 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Everyone who has ever argued with me about Islam has done that.  Otherwise they would agree wholeheartedly with me.  Who wouldn't, if we were both talking about rotten apples?

Sounds like you are trying to make it rocket science. 

4 minutes ago, Omni said:

Sounds like you are trying to make it rocket science. 

Actually, no.  I find the whole argument very simple and easy to make.  It's getting people to believe me that's tough.

51 minutes ago, Omni said:

And a lot of those people 'hit our shores" to escape the type of culture you speak of, so they don't want to recreate it here. Surveys have shown that, and integration typically improves generationally with whatever the culture of origin.  

Bull.....

Then how do you explain large populations of muslims in europe, the UK and Michigan state, where they are fighting for Sharia law, or have taken that to our courts to have sharia law implemented in some cities...Does not sound like those actions support your statement sounds more like they want to change things here to suit what they are comfortable with....and we all know how all that works out.....

Surveys show integration improves generationally.....and yet we have discovered that the second generation is prone to home grown terrorism, and it is not because they have become loyal to there new country, because other surveys have stated that their first loyalty is to their religion, then family, then a distant 4 or 5 is country......Their number one loyalty is to other muslims within their religion sects.

Way back many posts ago, I did not express myself well. Isis is no more a feature of Islam than the IRA is Roman Catholic. Isis is a vehicle to make money and get power over people. The Syrian civil wars are more about power than religion. 

2 minutes ago, Omni said:

So I guess it's just the pointing of fingers at an entire culture due to the actions of those bad apples that is the problem.

That would be the Golden Delicious.

On 2017-05-03 at 10:44 AM, Goddess said:

I'm curious - Is there a word for the bigotry of Muslims towards Westerners?  Or are we saying that doesn't exist?

Infidelophobia.

Edited by bcsapper

Just now, Omni said:

Whatever you say

Exactly.  I would know, would I not?  That is the problem in a nutshell.  I know what I'm talking about.  You assume you know what I'm talking about.  I would be the expert there.

1 minute ago, bcsapper said:

Exactly.  I would know, would I not?  That is the problem in a nutshell.  I know what I'm talking about.  You assume you know what I'm talking about.  I would be the expert there.

Now I have no idea what you're talking about. But carry on, somebody might be interested.

1 hour ago, kimmy said:

Many of our immigrants come from places where hatred, imprisonment, and even public execution for gay people are considered the cultural norm. I have a hard time buying that people who have grown up in such cultures will magically transform into open-minded, tolerant, kind-hearted people when they hit our shores.

I've never claimed that immigrants from these countries are going to be equally as liberal/progressive as most Canadians are.  However, assuming that they're all going to be the most conservative and least tolerant is also wrong, simply because the most conservative and least tolerant people are also the least likely people to be wanting to change countries.   

1 hour ago, kimmy said:

Hypothetically, if you found yourself relocated to a country where women are expected to stay in the home and not speak in public, would you embrace that new philosophy? I doubt your values are so malleable, and I doubt that people who arrive from places where puritan morality is paramount over individual freedoms are so malleable either.

Other than refugees, people don't 'find themselves relocated' - they *choose* to go where customs and expectations are different.  Thus, if I were to choose to move to these countries I would be aware of expectations and decide what was acceptable to me and if that would be acceptable where I was planning to move to.   

A couple of personal examples:  my sister, who moved to Egypt and rarely or never wears a headscarf and who often wears pants.  Her accommodation to her new country has been to ensure her upper arms are covered and her behind is covered, by a long top when she wears pants.  However, she does like wearing the Abaya - a long dress - because it is both comfortable and cool.    A Canadian/Iranian Muslim woman I know, when she's in Canada, wears fairly revealing clothes, even sexy outfits and no headscarf.  When she's working/living in Iran, she wears a headscarf and her choice of attire is a little more modest.   She's currently living/working in Greece with refugee and asylum populations, and dresses in Western styles with no headscarf.

I've seen groups of women where some are wearing headscarfs, some are not and one may even be wearing a niqab.  I assume all these women in the group are Muslim, yet they have different modes of dress - many of these women would be indistinguishable from a Canadian woman on the street unless one assumed that certain physical appearance = Muslims.    If Muslims who move here talk about the value they find Canadian tolerance, why would anyone assume that they are clinging to intolerance?    I think the assumption made that Muslims are unwilling or unable to tolerate diversity is simply wrong.    Certainly, some will be less tolerant - but that's true of any group - and as long as they do not act on their intolerance, I see little difference between them and a particularly devout and fundamentalist Christian.  

7 minutes ago, Omni said:

Now I have no idea what you're talking about. But carry on, somebody might be interested.

You assume I'm talking about bad apples and Golden Delicious when I'm just talking about bad apples.  It means you don't have to worry about the bad apples.  You can pretend they are Golden Delicious.

8 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

You assume I'm talking about bad apples and Golden Delicious when I'm just talking about bad apples.  It means you don't have to worry about the bad apples.  You can pretend they are Golden Delicious.

Oh now that makes much more sense...

2 hours ago, Omni said:

And a lot of those people 'hit our shores" to escape the type of culture you speak of, so they don't want to recreate it here. Surveys have shown that, and integration typically improves generationally with whatever the culture of origin.  

Precisely NO survey has shown that immigrants come here to escape their native culture. Not one.