Islamophobia in Canada

35 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Islam is a religion...not a skin colour.

If people didn't associate the disgust and contempt for various aspects of Islam expressed by some people with race they might actually have to address them. 

And we can't have that!

So racism.

1 minute ago, Omni said:

Perhaps similar to anyone who thinks Islam is the worst thing ever is a racist.

Why would they be a racist?  It's a bloody religion!

3 minutes ago, Omni said:

Perhaps similar to anyone who thinks Islam is the worst thing ever is a racist.

If you can hate Fascism you can hate Islamism. 

2 minutes ago, Omni said:

Maybe they are a "religionist" then.

Exactly.  And if you had to take a wild guess, which identifiable group contains the most "religionists"?

Edited by bcsapper

2 hours ago, dialamah said:

....Out of Canada's 110 most wanted,

This is fascinating reading...thanks for sharing.  One of the alleged murderers has a previous gunshot wound to his buttocks (as in - "pop a cap in yo' ass").

Oh, and I noted that height and weight are listed in metric and imperial units.

OK...back to arguing about Muslims.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Just now, Omni said:

I don't have to take a wild guess. It's Christians.

Different from me, but then, we are talking about wild guesses.

Just now, Omni said:

Nope, there are many more Christians in the world than Islamist's.

Yeah, but how many of them are "religionist"?

One would have to consider the results of such "religionism", too. 

Like I said, wild guess.  Names and addresses I do not have.

Just now, bcsapper said:

If people didn't associate the disgust and contempt for various aspects of Islam expressed by some people with race they might actually have to address them. 

Everybody on here has, at some time or another, agreed that these things are wrong - whether practiced by Middle Eastern people, African people, South Asians, Russians, Canadians, Americans, British, etc, or whether they are Muslim, Christian or 'other':

• Honor killings
  • Female inequality/oppression
  • Discrimination/jailing/killing of gay people
  • Pedophilia
  • FGM
  • Terrorist activity
  • Lashings/Stoning/Beheadings
  • Jailing/killing blasphemers and apostates
  • Conversion by the sword
  • Other stuff I may have missed that is generally frowned upon in Western/progressive countries

Now, since certain people on this board think they are the only ones who "care" about this, maybe they could explain to the rest of us how they might address those issues?  

And by address those issues, I don't mean "Let's blame all Muslims by assuming that they support this stuff, and if they say they don't assume they are lying, and let's try to keep them out of our country".   Nor does it mean accusing 'the other side' of not caring about Canada, embracing homophobic and misogynistic beliefs, hiding their heads in the sand, etc.

The fact is that by 2030, according to Stats Canada, the only way to increase Canadian population is through immigration.   That means that those issues have to be addressed, not by refusing adherents of the fastest growing religion in the world entry, but by addressing the actual issues you are concerned about - ideally where they are most common.   That means recognizing supporting the organizations in the Middle East, Africa, Asia and India who are actively working to bring changes.  How many of the anti-Muslim posters here support "Because I am a Girl"  (my personal choice) or "Girls Not Brides"  to fight misogyny in other countries?  How many even know about "Iranian Railroad for Queer Refugees", or Outright - a group that works in Muslim countries and around the world to empower gay people.  

The difference I see between me and someone like Argus is that I do care about these issues - I do what I can about it, without feeling obligated to hate on every single Muslim in the world.    People like Argus aren't dealing with 'the issues'; they just want to build walls of suspicion and fear between "us" and "them".

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Why would they be a racist?  It's a bloody religion!

So, neither the word racist nor Islamaphobia is acceptable to use for those who hate/fear Muslims; what term should be used, do you suppose?  Or is the idea that no matter how obvious an agenda is, it doesn't exist if you deny any term to describe it?

Edited by dialamah

2 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Everybody on here has, at some time or another, agreed that these things are wrong - whether practiced by Middle Eastern people, African people, South Asians, Russians, Canadians, Americans, British, etc, or whether they are Muslim, Christian or 'other':

• Honor killings
  • Female inequality/oppression
  • Discrimination/jailing/killing of gay people
  • Pedophilia
  • FGM
  • Terrorist activity
  • Lashings/Stoning/Beheadings
  • Jailing/killing blasphemers and apostates
  • Conversion by the sword
  • Other stuff I may have missed that is generally frowned upon in Western/progressive countries

Now, since certain people on this board think they are the only ones who "care" about this, maybe they could explain to the rest of us how they might address those issues?  

And by address those issues, I don't mean "Let's blame all Muslims by assuming that they support this stuff, and if they say they don't assume they are lying, and let's try to keep them out of our country".   Nor does it mean accusing 'the other side' of not caring about Canada, embracing homophobic and misogynistic beliefs, hiding their heads in the sand, etc.

The fact is that by 2030, according to Stats Canada, the only way to increase Canadian population is through immigration.   That means that those issues have to be addressed, not by refusing adherents of the fastest growing religion in the world entry, but by addressing the actual issues you are concerned about - ideally where they are most common.   That means recognizing supporting the organizations in the Middle East, Africa, Asia and India who are actively working to bring changes.  How many of the anti-Muslim posters here support "Because I am a Girl"  (my personal choice) or "Girls Not Brides"  to fight misogyny in other countries?  How many even know about "Iranian Railroad for Queer Refugees", or Outright - a group that works in Muslim countries and around the world to empower gay people.  

The difference I see between me and someone like Argus is that I do care about these issues - I do what I can about it, without feeling obligated to hate on every single Muslim in the world.    People like Argus aren't dealing with 'the issues'; they just want to build walls of suspicion and fear between "us" and "them".

It's not that people think they are the only ones who care, it's just that, when they bring it up, the response seems to indicate that.  People who cared about such things wouldn't accuse others of racism just based on the enthusiasm of their expression of their disgust, surely? 

Those items you listed deserve the utmost contempt, disgust and revulsion.  We probably feel the same way about them.  I should not be labelled a racist because I express such without inhibition, not giving a care for the race, colour or culture of those involved.

4 minutes ago, dialamah said:

So, neither the word racist nor Islamaphobia is acceptable to use for those who hate/fear Muslims; what term should be used, do you suppose?  Or is the idea that no matter how obvious an agenda is, it doesn't exist if you deny any term to describe it?

Islamaphobia is open to debate.  Racism certainly should not even be considered.  I cannot understand how racism is even connected to someone's concerns about religious practices.

Would you feel the same way about the WBC moving in next door to you as you would about Mary Glasspool, (Yes, I had to look Mary up) the first open lesbian to be consecrated a bishop in the Church of England? They are the same race.

I would prefer Mary, and I daresay you would too.  Why is it so hard to imagine someone who hates the excesses of Islam being perfectly comfortable with a moderate?

4 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

It's not that people think they are the only ones who care, it's just that, when they bring it up, the response seems to indicate that.  People who cared about such things wouldn't accuse others of racism just based on the enthusiasm of their expression of their disgust, surely? 

Those items you listed deserve the utmost contempt, disgust and revulsion.  We probably feel the same way about them.  I should not be labelled a racist because I express such without inhibition, not giving a care for the race, colour or culture of those involved.

Do you see any difference in these two statements?

"Killing homosexuals for being homosexual is wrong and is not supported by either science or religious teachings, according to experts."

"Muslims want to kill homosexuals Muslims are backwards and ignorant."

Or these two:

"FGM is practiced in many countries in the Middle East, Africa and Asia, by adherents from many different religions.  It is more prevalent in poor villages among the illiterate than in urban centers with a higher education level."

"Muslims practice FGM; Muslims are backwards and ignorant."

Which statements discuss an issue?   Which statements use an issue to denigrate Muslims?