Islamophobia in Canada

The 25-30% is suspect. Are there 1.5 million radicals willing to blow themselves up and kill innocent people? I don't know. Are Muslims in Saudi Arabia, in average, different than Muslims in Turkey or Iran? Yes. One of the issues here is that saying "Muslim are..." is not logical. There are so many types of Muslims out there with different cultural practices, beliefs and ideas. It's illogical and irrational to try to explain all 1.5 billion Muslims by describing the acts or thoughts of one group.

Regardless, the fear of Muslim radicals has created illogical fear and has created a very immature and negative attitude towards a certain group. Fear based on ignorance and generalization only creates a cycle of negativity in a culture. Did you know that you are four times more likely to be struck by lightning than killed by a terrorists? We have a lot more pressing issues to deal with in our society.

When you read about terror attacks on an almost daily basis, your assertion rings hollow.

And really, you don`t have to be a suicide bomber to be considered radical. Read Sharia law.

Edited by drummindiver

Looks like a few Canadians are falling into the ISIS trap. And people wonder why the terrorists do what they do:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/11/bombs-absolutely-beat-isil-m16-offical-151120144113209.html

In the interview, the former MI6 offcier also suggested that the objective behind the Paris attacks was to polarise societies. "The whole point of terrorism I believe, particularly the form we’re seeing in Syria, is to force people off the fence," Barrett said."The whole point of terrorism ... is to force people off the fence. You have to take sides. You’re either with those people or you're with us. And that polarisation of society is a very important element of the Islamic State strategy.”

When asked if the invasion of Iraq was linked to the rise of ISIL, Barrett acknowledged: "There’s a very, very clear link."

What a ridiculous assertion.

Why do you insist on making excuses for terrorismÉ

And really, you must not read a single news article if you believe that muslim governments aren`t killing ppl.

Drone attacks have a 10% success rate. That means 9 out of every 10 people killed by a drone were innocent.

Do you care that innocent lives are killed or is that just the nature of war in your opinion?

Think hard about that before you answer.

Though I can appreciate where you're coming from, Naheed Nenshi, though born here, sort of proves that your generalizations are overly broad. I don't like Islam any more than you do, but your characterization isn't fair.

I'm as atheist as they come. As a result, I used to define religions by their most extreme and idiotic elements. Today, however, I have many friends who are devoutly and I realize that churches, synagogues, and mosques have a particular value for establishing and maintaining community connections, as well as engaging in social welfare programs for their people that would otherwise need to be taken up by government. Religion has a place. If people believe in those things and want to have a sense of community around that, then that's their prerogative. Free association is a guaranteed right in the Charter after all. Defining individuals by the radicals in their religion, however, is not only a logical fallacy, it's incredibly ignorant. Nenshi is the perfect example of how many, if not most, Muslims are just like Christians. The vast majority aren't radical and aren't ramming their religion down people's throat. Their faith is personal and they leave it at that. Religion becomes a problem when idiots get together and try to change school curriculums and legislation so that our institutions adhere to their religious dogma. Even then, it's not the religion that's a problem. It's idiocy. If only we could ban that.

Did I say we do? I'm talking a general indifference toward innocent lives and why the zealots in the non-Muslim bunch aren't as radicalized as their Muslim counterparts.

Still....relevance to "Islamophobia in Canada" ? Do Canadians feel more obligated because of "drone attacks" against so called "innocent" lives? General indifference is on display for SubSaharan refugees too, but no drone attacks. This is reaching of the dramatic kind.

Generalizations never include every single member of a group. How could they possibly? But that doesn't mean what is being said isn't generally true of the group as a whole.

That's fine, but it doesn't do well to paint them all with the same brush. As you've said yourself, it's never true of everyone.

Still....relevance to "Islamophobia in Canada" ? Do Canadians feel more obligated because of "drone attacks" against so called "innocent" lives? General indifference is on display for SubSaharan refugees too, but no drone attacks. This is reaching of the dramatic kind.

I called it a clash of civilizations where zealots (on both sides) see this as a 'West vs. Islam' war. Nationality of the the western or Muslim countries is irrelevant.

But feel free to keep posting your Canada-obsession into it.

I called it a clash of civilizations where zealots (on both sides) see this as a 'West vs. Islam' war. Nationality of the the western or Muslim countries is irrelevant.

Hardly an original idea...pre-dates "drone attacks" by at least 10 years. The West's Gulf War and Kosovo War allegedly protected Muslim lives and Islam (human rights and all that jazz). Therefore, relevance to "Islamophobia in Canada" has not been demonstrated.

But feel free to keep posting your Canada-obsession into it.

Gladly, since Canada has no ability for the "drone attacks" that interest you so much.

I think what's more obvious and most relevant is the fact that it's the hard-boiled conservatives amongst our cultures that are the most antagonistic towards one another. Lefties, liberals, and progressives everywhere make up by far the greatest number of refugees and people caught in their crossfire.

Actually, they have waged war on Muslims as well...to "protect human rights". Muslims just can't seem to get a break, eh ?

It's true, progressive governments have waged war too but mostly to protect themselves from charges by their conservative peers that they are weak and soft on terror, drugs, commies, or whatever other bug it is that happens to be up the conservative's butts at the moment.

It's true, progressive governments have waged war too but mostly to protect themselves from charges by their conservative peers that they are weak and soft on terror, drugs, commies, or whatever other bug it is that happens to be up the conservative's butts at the moment.

No, they did it for the same reasons as the conservatives. The bombs don't care which party drops them.

Interestingly enough people can find it in themselves to care, like the Vietnamese who knew full well it was the fortunate ones and the senators sons who were dropping bombs on them, not the hippies protesting in the streets.

Not true - there were very, very, very few congressmens and senators sons who saw action in Vietnam. Al Gore is the only one I can recollect at this time.

I think what's more obvious and most relevant is the fact that it's the hard-boiled conservatives amongst our cultures that are the most antagonistic towards one another. Lefties, liberals, and progressives everywhere make up by far the greatest number of refugees and people caught in their crossfire.

Yes, Clinton was bombing Kosovo at the behest of those conservatives.

All those poor refugees are refugees because those damn conservative soldiers of Assad keep bombing at the behest of those other conservatives. Cause you know..conservatives.

Interestingly enough people can find it in themselves to care, like the Vietnamese who knew full well it was the fortunate ones and the senators sons who were dropping bombs on them, not the hippies protesting in the streets.

So everything is the conservatives fault, because a crappy song from the 60`s says so.

You`ve been stuck at sea too long son.

So everything is the conservatives fault, because a crappy song from the 60`s says so.

No, not everything, just most of it. Is the song crappy because of the image it evokes or the spotlight it shines on it?

...a crappy song :lol:

Maybe after the right-wing cultural rebellion the Dept of Homeland Morality will deem it to be unpatriotic and terroristic and ban it.

I would prefer to take the word of actual Muslims and their Clerics about how to interpret the Koran. Maybe you could try that, instead of relying on You-Tube videos for your information.

You know what, you won't believe anything you see, read or witness yourself. You people will pick apart the source no matter who it is...well, unless maybe it's from the Huffington Post. If you don't like the source, maybe you should do a little research.

You people will buy into global warming without a shred of evidence, but you'll defend these people all day long regardless of how many terrorist attacks happen each week.