Evan Solomon: You're Fired!

Boges

From what I've heard, he was one of the decent ones. Less insufferable than the rest.

Oh well He's Gone!!!

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/06/09/cbc-host-evan-solomon-took-secret-cut-of-art-deals.html

CBC has fired marquee host Evan Solomon after the Star reported that he was taking secret commission payments related to art sales involving people he dealt with as a host.

“I regret to inform you that CBC News has ended its relationship with Evan Solomon,” executive Jennifer McGuire said in a brief statement issued late Tuesday, a day after the Star presented the findings of its investigation to the network.

Solomon, 47, was the Ottawa-based host of Power and Politics on television and The House on CBC radio, and had been one of the people touted to replace Peter Mansbridge on The National when the veteran newsman retires.

The Star found Solomon had been brokering the sale of paintings and masks owned by a flamboyant Toronto-area art collector to rich and famous buyers. Solomon, in at least one case, took commissions in excess of $300,000 for several pieces of art and did not disclose to the buyer that he was being paid fees for introducing buyer and seller.

The CBC had taken Solomon off the air Monday pending an investigation “over the next couple of days.” That move came after the Star presented the CBC with the results of its probe of Solomon.

Using your "celebrity" to broker art deals? Well at least he wasn't strangling anyone.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Harper can get someone in there who will throw softballs at Conservatives now.

Surely a man that gets himself fired over something like this would have way too much integrity to have a particular bias, but then seeing as you are a fan maybe his lack of integrity was about more than just his art deals. Of course if you want to join all of the cranks who are now insisting that this is some sort of conservative plot to get a more friendly host on that show, feel free.

I think Evan did a excellent job and depending who they get to replace him, CBC may lose some viewers. IF Evan can't come back, then I like to see Tom Clark, because like Evan, he doesn't take any ???? and Tom keeps asking the question until its answered. Canadian NEED someone in their corner, when dealing with these MPs Also, I wonder how the editor of the Star found out about this, perhaps a peeved off TO. Tory MP......

Surely a man that gets himself fired over something like this would have way too much integrity to have a particular bias, but then seeing as you are a fan maybe his lack of integrity was about more than just his art deals. Of course if you want to join all of the cranks who are now insisting that this is some sort of conservative plot to get a more friendly host on that show, feel free.

A common reaction for supporters, but the mere appearance of bias or impropriety should have made him understand the ramifications and guided his behaviour. That is the true mark of integrity.

After listening to the Star reporter, on CBC, I went back and read what was said in the article and I stand corrected, the person he got the information from could only be the art collector, Bruce Bailey, because the star has e-mail from Evan and Bailey and I don't think Evan would send e-mails to the Star.

Just wait and see if R. Barton takes over full time, she can barely contain her bias, she might as well run for the NDP.

I didn't think there was a more biased talking head on TV than Solomon, but you're right, she'd probably be worse.

What they should do is use the opportunity to put someone who at least tries to act neutral in the chair. See if Steve Paikin wants the job.

After listening to the Star reporter, on CBC, I went back and read what was said in the article and I stand corrected, the person he got the information from could only be the art collector, Bruce Bailey, because the star has e-mail from Evan and Bailey and I don't think Evan would send e-mails to the Star.

I hadn't thought of that angle, but the way Harper has always scrambled to hide from any press that might challenge him, I wouldn't put it past him.

Yeah Harper got told a Toronto Star Investigative reporter to dig up dirt on a guy who hosts a show that's on when most people are driving home from work just so his people can get a host that's easier on them.

I think there should be an investigation!

:rolleyes:

Think the Jian Ghomeshi thing is a CPC plot too?

Edited by Boges

Yeah Harper got told a Toronto Star Investigative reporter to dig up dirt on a guy who hosts a show when most people are driving home from work just so his people can get a host that's easier on them.

I think there should be an investigation!

:rolleyes:

Think the Jian Ghomeshi thing is a CPC plot too?

Nah, the Ghomeshi thing is much to risque for a conservative.

I never said anything about this being a plot. I said "maybe now Harper can pull some strings..." But sure, just read into the post all you want. Apparently mischaracterizing people's posts is an offence on this forum now. Maybe I should just report you and move on. :rolleyes:

Maybe Harper can get someone in there who will throw softballs at Conservatives now.

Speaking of softballs,I am reminded of Michael Enrights interview of Mulcair a few months ago on Sunday morning.

Halfway through I was hoping Mike was wearing some quality kneepads or he would hurt his aging joints as he serviced Mulcair..

I think Evan did a excellent job and depending who they get to replace him, CBC may lose some viewers. IF Evan can't come back, then I like to see Tom Clark, because like Evan, he doesn't take any ???? and Tom keeps asking the question until its answered. Canadian NEED someone in their corner, when dealing with these MPs Also, I wonder how the editor of the Star found out about this, perhaps a peeved off TO. Tory MP......

Leftists never seem to understand that concentrating power in the hands of few people is a recipe for disaster.

Evan Solomon said things that, Topaz, you liked to hear. Imagine if someone like Solomon had political power.

The guy who robs you blind will not be a dirty, scumbag; it will be someone who speaks well, appears honest and says things that you agree with, things that you like to hear. And make no mistake: Evan Solomon knew exactly what he was doing. He said exactly what Leftists wanted to hear. Such is modern government in this 21st century.

I am a conservative in part because I prefer a system in which even if people like you Topaz give power to someone like Evan Solomon, he can do little damage to society.

Edited by August1991

Watched the political panel tonight hosted by Rosie. They spent about 3 minutes on the issue and every panelist chose NOT to comment on the issue itself and each one mentioned how much of a friend he was.

One major cop-out to an obvious breach of ethics and journalistic standards. Shame on them.

Watched the political panel tonight hosted by Rosie. They spent about 3 minutes on the issue and every panelist chose NOT to comment on the issue itself and each one mentioned how much of a friend he was.

One major cop-out to an obvious breach of ethics and journalistic standards. Shame on them.

Usually when someone is considered a 'friend', it's appropriate to back down from conversations that bring down his character. It's called loyalty to a friend. And this is only a few days after the event. I don't consider it a cop-out at all.