Evan Solomon: You're Fired!

Boges

Not sure he actually interviewed anyone he sold art to. It seems the only thing he did wrong was not informing the CBC as to the extent of his involvement with the company he had with his wife. More breach of corporate policy than journalistic ethics.

I don't understand why buying and selling art would be a breach of corporate policy here. Are they claiming his "celebrity" is their property and he used his celebrity to make these deals or something? The whole situation is a bit strange to me.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why buying and selling art would be a breach of corporate policy here. Are they claiming his "celebrity" is their property and he used his celebrity to make these deals or something? The whole situation is a bit strange to me.

Well the subject may have felt that buying the art would mean an easier/favourable interview. Perception is everything here though. Even if that wasn't his intent, someone might feel that way.

Well the subject may have felt that buying the art would mean an easier/favourable interview. Perception is everything here though. Even if that wasn't his intent, someone might feel that way.

I agree with that if he was interviewing people whom he was doing business with, but Black Dog suggested he wasn't. I just mean in the case that he wasn't interviewing the people, then I'm not sure how that breaches corporate policy. Would buying his own groceries breach corporate policy? If not, why does art?

Earning secret commissions from people is not exactly ethical in and of itself.

I suppose, if he was interviewing Balsillie or Carney the secret commission (that is, the fact the Balsillie and Carney did not know that Solomon received a commission) could protect Solomon from conflict of interest accusations.

But really, should it?

Would he ask softer questions to be more approachable as to then make more art sales and earn more secret commissions?

I think he would and that's why he has no business in a newsroom.

This is not as damning as Amanda Lang's conflicts but it is pretty bad.

So Solomon was selling art for artists and taking a cut? But the buyers didn't know as an art broker Solomon was getting a cut? That sounds strange. I'm pretty sure people who buy art know that the dealer gets a commission. That's why local artists price go up when they start selling through galleries.

Canadaland points out that CBC knew about this but didn't take action until the story ran. This is how management handled Ghomeshi too.

Knew about what? I'm trying to understand the impropriety here and I'm not really seeing it. Using his celebrity to lure and beat women is pretty clear.

Knew about what? I'm trying to understand the impropriety here and I'm not really seeing it.

I'll admit to not knowing the specifics to the degree of WHO did he interview vs WHO did he sell to. Jesse Brown, in the piece, didn't seem to debate that point however it was clear that there are some examples, eg. Lang, that were handled differently.

CBC knew about this story before it ran, though. Donovan gave them the information.

Ok, so he sold art to people he interviewed and the argument is that having a business relationship with interviewees could bias his reporting. Makes sense. But seems awfully nitpicky in this case. It's not like Rex Murphy writing positive commentary on the oil industry, while being paid by them. Not disclosing that "these guys paid me to say this" is tangibly different than "this guy bought a painting off me a few years ago."

Canadaland points out that CBC knew about this but didn't take action until the story ran. This is how management handled Ghomeshi too.

So what will be the next big crisis to hit the CBC? You can guarantee management will be involved in possibly looking the other way.

So what will be the next big crisis to hit the CBC? You can guarantee management will be involved in possibly looking the other way.

It will be when their balance sheet budgets is eroded even worse than now as they lose all revenue from hockey.

If the CBC was a private sector company, they'd have been sold or chopped into bits long ago. Their management has failed in every way imaginable for a long time now, except for managing to keep the carcass from being buried entirely. That is not an economic triumph but entirely political.

Their biggest failure by far over the last few decades was a consistent, relentless failure to produce-despite plenty of money- anything that anybody wanted to watch. Supporters of the CBC claim it is all the fault of Harper, but in reality it has been weak management for a very long time that has killed the CBC.

*Cough* Are you sure ? You support Harper, right ? He seems to me a perfect example of the disaster that you fear/support/vote for.

Despite what you may think, if Stephen Harper wishes a change, he faces many, many obstacles.

Imagine now that Tom Mulcair becomes PM. What bureaucratic obstacles would he face?