Evan Solomon: You're Fired!

Boges

I might agree if the reason for their participation on this panel was not one of analysis and objective evaluation.

Comments from co-workers do not bring down one's character. Actions which indicate a lack of character bring down one's character.

DId the host really expect to get objective analysis from friends?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not know what the host expected. She did read what the CBC had written for her to read and tried to maintain credibility for the show. It probably worked. This is supposed to be a news show and when none of the panelists chose to discuss the journalistic issues involved and Evans lies in an attempt to cover up his actions then this ceases to be news but a campfire song by those in the inner circle.

I was disappointed. Evan had been proud of his "scoops" and "gotcha" journalism when he was on the air and I was disappointed that he was not the subject of one on his own show.

This is supposed to be a news show and not a DR. Phil feel good gathering.

I do not know what the host expected. She did read what the CBC had written for her to read and tried to maintain credibility for the show. It probably worked. This is supposed to be a news show and when none of the panelists chose to discuss the journalistic issues involved and Evans lies in an attempt to cover up his actions then this ceases to be news but a campfire song by those in the inner circle.

I was disappointed. Evan had been proud of his "scoops" and "gotcha" journalism when he was on the air and I was disappointed that he was not the subject of one on his own show.

This is supposed to be a news show and not a DR. Phil feel good gathering.

Then she probably chose the wrong guests.

Then she probably chose the wrong guests.

That's a good point. In discussing that matter, they should have been especially careful to avoid any conflict of interest. The host and the panel should have been people who didn't work with him on a regular basis. Without question the proper course of the discussion should have been how someone who has been so tenacious about chasing scandals (real and imagined) was now in the centre of one of his own.

IF the House or the PM, was as strict about "conflict of Interest" how many MPs would be still standing??? Most of the MPs have other businesses or occupations they do, and probably come in contact with people who could help benefit them, so what's the difference with Evan? CBC is on the job giving out notices to employees who break their rules, not as much in the House or the PMO. Double standard?

DId the host really expect to get objective analysis from friends?

Did the viewers expect objectivity from CBC?

An alternate theory of their reticence to comment on Solomon is that they too have a few extracurricular activities that might threaten that CBC paycheque. That's the thing with a trade like journalism,:the nature of the work involves pulling on many threads in many lives and sometimes opportunities arise. Management at CBC has gone into hardcore headchopping mode with all the recent scandals, best to keep your head down for the foreseeable future.

Whereas Harper concentrating all power in his own hands is ... ?!

:P

It is eternally entertaining to watch you pretend that the exercise of power in Ottawa under our Parliamentary system has changed in the last decade or the last century+.

Who can forget the wonderful, magical Chretien era when the PMO faithfully consulted the public and the Opposition or his own party/caucus for input on the future of the country or a legislative agenda?

Harper has no means to change the Constitution that describes his role as Prime Minister. His Secret Agenda remains a Secret.

How does anyone even consider it reasonable to expect CBC to go into character assassination mode over a colleague fired mere hours ago over a few art deals? Solomon's behaviour may have been a breach of ethics, one worthy of losing his position, but that does not automatically make it one of "Oh my God, he is such a wicked man!" proportions. I do not think I would expect a panel to have gone any differently for the people at CTV or Global if it had been one of their own.

It is eternally entertaining to watch you pretend that the exercise of power in Ottawa under our Parliamentary system has changed in the last decade or the last century+.

Who can forget the wonderful, magical Chretien era when the PMO faithfully consulted the public and the Opposition or his own party/caucus for input on the future of the country or a legislative agenda?

It wasn't right then either, but it was at least a "benign dictatorship" as Harper himself said.

Harper has no means to change the Constitution that describes his role as Prime Minister.

Harper does whatever role he wants. There are no limits.

His Secret Agenda remains a secret.

His agenda is attacking First Nations and environmentalists with his secret police, to protect the fossil fuel industry. No it isn't a secret anymore.

it was at least a "benign dictatorship" as Harper himself said.

well, I see you have forgotten that $200 million the Libs stole for those friendly Montreal ad agencies- and themselves. I haven't.

Harper does whatever role he wants. There are no limits.

Satan lives. When will the Supreme Court justices be released from their dungeon?

His agenda is attacking First Nations and environmentalists with his secret police, to protect the fossil fuel industry. No it isn't a secret anymore.
You have caught him out, Pierre Bellegarde, Phil Fontaine and David Suzuki are all holograms. The actual persons are in the dungeons with the entire Surpreme Court. The cells are deep underground in the highly ironical Shawinigan.
Edited by overthere

Jacee, do see black helicopters flying over your home at nite? And I am glad he is gone. I was tiresome every time the conservative would try and defend what was just said and he cuts in with his ''I get it'' and cuts them off.

Can someone ELI5 what Solomon did wrong exactly? It just sounds like he bought and sold art, but because he's famous he's not allowed to do that?

Conflict of interest I guess. He was selling the art to people he was interviewing for his work on the CBC.

Conflict of interest I guess. He was selling the art to people he was interviewing for his work on the CBC.

Oh ok, I guess that makes sense. If you've got an outside business relationship with someone you're interviewing then that can be a conflict of interest. It's like Rex Murphy not disclosing that he's getting money from oil companies, then reporting and doing commentary on those same companies.

And why wasn't Amanda Lang fired?

Not sure he actually interviewed anyone he sold art to. It seems the only thing he did wrong was not informing the CBC as to the extent of his involvement with the company he had with his wife. More breach of corporate policy than journalistic ethics.