Toronto named best place to live.

guyser

17 hours ago, Nationalist said:

much more than that.

I suspect those are the same things you'd find issue with any large cities. 

In North America it's a predictable model.

Large core of Liberals, Centrist Suburbs and Conservative Rural areas. 

You align yourself with the Conservative Rural lot. And that's cool. 

3 minutes ago, Boges said:

I suspect those are the same things you'd find issue with any large cities. 

In North America it's a predictable model.

Large core of Liberals, Centrist Suburbs and Conservative Rural areas. 

You align yourself with the Conservative Rural lot. And that's cool. 

Ya I find that interesting. I wouldn't dispute that but, what are we saying here?

Are we saying people in the big cities need more welfare programs? That once a person or family can afford it, the move out to the burbs or even further from the big city?

12 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Ya I find that interesting. I wouldn't dispute that but, what are we saying here?

Are we saying people in the big cities need more welfare programs? That once a person or family can afford it, the move out to the burbs or even further from the big city?

You need to be very wealthy to be able to afford a larger home in a big city, any big city. 

It's not desirable to raise a family in a Studio apartment. So families move to the burbs. It's always desirable to live in a walkable community. So communities like that will experience demand that outstrips supply and the prices continue to go up.  

Regarding Welfare, big cities have the tax base to provide social safety net programs. So if you're down on your luck, you may go into cities to take advantage of shelter systems and the like. Where as, middle-income families may move out of big cities to avoid that type of thing. 

An unintended consequence of the Pandemic will be to hollow out cities as commuting becomes less a requirement for many White-Collar jobs. 

2 hours ago, Boges said:

You need to be very wealthy to be able to afford a larger home in a big city, any big city. 

It's not desirable to raise a family in a Studio apartment. So families move to the burbs. It's always desirable to live in a walkable community. So communities like that will experience demand that outstrips supply and the prices continue to go up.  

Regarding Welfare, big cities have the tax base to provide social safety net programs. So if you're down on your luck, you may go into cities to take advantage of shelter systems and the like. Where as, middle-income families may move out of big cities to avoid that type of thing. 

An unintended consequence of the Pandemic will be to hollow out cities as commuting becomes less a requirement for many White-Collar jobs. 

I know lots of people who've been raised in apartments. When we first had kids, we rented a house in the city. Then we bought a house in the city. Back then it took half my income to carry the mortgage. We saved like thieves for 5 years just to make up the down payment. That's how its done. You scrimp and save. You eat KD and hotdogs. You do what you have to in order to achieve your goals. That concept of sacrifice, seems to be lost on younger people today.

In your scenario, cities become shitholes. Magnets for the mentally disturbed. That's what we used to call...stupid. Instead of creating giant magnets for people who are not able to take care of themselves, either give them jobs or put them in institutions. Get them the hell off the streets and they'll quit coming.

Ahhh...the great Rona excuse. OK...yes, a lot of people left the city during The Rona. And yes, white collar workers do not need to be downtown anymore...well as of recently, I have to be there 2 days a week now but...are you suggesting that Liberalism is amplified in the cities and Conservatism is amplified outside the cities? Do only conservative minded people have families?

On 5/5/2023 at 9:56 AM, Boges said:

I think that's going to peter out, at least to an extent.  Working from home was fine for awhile, but companies are evidently not impressed with productivity for a lot of folk working from home at this point.  

What's probably going to be more impactful these days and beyond is that a lot of people got a taste of not commuting and how much of a lifestyle improvement that was, and demand higher pay or take different jobs closer to home - as long as the labour market remains tight that is.  

Edited by Moonbox

Just now, Moonbox said:

I think that's going to peter out, at least to an extent.  Working from home was fine for awhile, but companies are evidently not impressed with productivity for a lot of folk working from home at this point.  

What's probably going to be more impactful these days and beyond is that a lot of people got a taste of not commuting and how much of a lifestyle improvement that was, and demand higher pay or take different jobs closer to home - as long as the labour market remains tight that is.  

I, more or less, work from the office most days, but can work from home when required. 

But I actually have an office at work, I don't have people walking by seeing everything I do. For those that work in open concept environments, I would not want to be required to go back to that. 

It's the open concept environments that hamper good productivity. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/30/2015 at 9:03 AM, guyser said:

Oh my !   I hope all newcomers settle in those "best places to live" and make them even better.

• 2 months later...
On 5/2/2023 at 7:36 AM, Nationalist said:

And when I retire, I'll take it all and move somewhere nice. A place where normal folks can still manage to ride bikes without the need for special lanes.

You know what? I admire those cycle lanes and trails, esp. outside the big city. A friend of mine has really taken to them in Burlington. Ontario and Quebec seem to have done a great job there. By contrast you take your life in your hands cycling in outback Canada. 

2 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

You know what? I admire those cycle lanes and trails, esp. outside the big city. A friend of mine has really taken to them in Burlington. Ontario and Quebec seem to have done a great job there. By contrast you take your life in your hands cycling in outback Canada. 

Toronto is outback? Bye.

8 hours ago, Nationalist said:

Toronto is outback? Bye.

No, sorry, I live in the outback. Cycle lanes are great innovations and I would love to enjoy them in the countryside near big cities. Where I live we don’t have them at all which makes longer trips tough. I don’t think fast cars and bicycles mix well.

8 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

If you think Riyadh, Saudi Arabia at #92 is a better place to live than Toronto, go enjoy the sunshine, I guess. 

I don’t think that at all but I also don’t think Toronto can be compared to Vienna, say, a truly beautiful city where housing is still affordable for ordinary people. In a Canadian context, I’d rather live in Halifax, Ottawa, Calgary or Victoria than Toronto and they are all ranked higher. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

1 minute ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

No, I live in the outback. Cycle lanes are great innovations and I would love to enjoy them in the countryside near big cities. Where I live we don’t have the at all which makes longer trips tough. I don’t think fast cars and bicycles mix well.

Have you seen the mess those bike lanes have created?

16 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

On this list Toronto at 95’th just about beats Cape Town and is lower than many Canadian cities:

https://www.numbeo.com/quality-of-life/rankings.jsp

surprised to see Sacramento at #58. Not a terrible place but rather unremarkable. Edmonton at #67 is interesting. will be seeing that place in August 2024. Been to Victoria and Vancouver and found them to be interesting places but only spent a total of 8 hours in both. 

Obviously no one from Calgary or Vancouver got to vote. Toronto is okay but no mountains, no ocean, no chinooks in winter, no wildlife wandering downtown, no destination places an hour or two away.
Also obvious cost of housing wasn't significant in their list. You need to win the lottery to live in most of those places.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I went out at night in Parkdale a Saturday night two weeks ago.  Kids playing ball in front of the house at 9 PM in the dark... parents in the window doing dishes looking up occasionally... women walking alone...

Don't believe MSM...

Early morning robbery in Parkdale sends man to hospital with stab wounds

There was a stabbing in Parkdale just recently.

I remember, I have a memory.