This week in Islam

kimmy

11 minutes ago, Goddess said:

I don't recall that.  I wasn't allowed to have an interest in politics for most of my life. I'm coming late to the game, so I appreciate everyone's patience with me here.

I meant to say Stephen Harper actually, my mistake.

Stephen Harper’s simplistic single-minded approach to terror

For the sake of political gamesmanship Prime Minister Stephen Harper sneers at the notion of trying to understand how terrorists are made.

We shouldn’t wonder about terrorism’s root causes, he declared, but “condemn it categorically” and deal with the perpetrators “as harshly as possible.”

Story

There is really no way to characterize this as anything other than willful deliberate ignorance.

Edited by eyeball

2 hours ago, Goddess said:

I don't recall that.  I wasn't allowed to have an interest in politics for most of my life. I'm coming late to the game, so I appreciate everyone's patience with me here.

If you can appreciate how your parents desire to keep you ignorant about things going on in the world has affected your ability to understand the world better, you should be able to appreciate how a concerted effort by the authorities to do the same thing could affect an entire population.

Does my understanding about where you're coming from mean I'm with your parents and their attempt to keep you in the dark or shield you from a harsh reality? 

Edited by eyeball

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Does my understanding about where you're coming from mean I'm with your parents and their attempt to keep you in the dark or shield you from a harsh reality?

No.  But you also don't use it to excuse my lack of political knowledge.  You've labelled me "repellent" and "ignorant". Words you haven't used to describe terrorists.

Goddess:  repellent and ignorant

Terrorists: Well, you know they've been treated badly so.....

Edited by Goddess
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Goddess said:

No.  But you also don't use it to excuse my lack of political knowledge.  You've labelled me "repellent" and "ignorant". Words you haven't used to describe terrorists.

It's not just eyeball.  Such is the view of many.

6 hours ago, Goddess said:

The places they come from have certainly been treated badly and what terrorists do is ignorant and repellant. I've said so before I'm saying it now and I'll say it in the future all for the same reason.

We acted in a ignorant repellant manner throughout much of the Muslim world because of our fear of Russia. Two wrongs don't make anything right. There's no excuse for that even if I do understand why people think it's okay or fine to believe otherwise. I wish those who argue that on our sided good luck arguing their cases at the reconciliation hearings.

Edited by eyeball
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Spanish authorities prevent Jihadi attack on Gay Pride Parade.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4625716/ISIS-terror-suspect-arrested-Madrid-Gay-Pride.html

Good thing Islam is the Religion of Peace.

This was a "Related Article" in your link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4624912/ISIS-female-enforcer-crocodile-jaws-teeth-smashed-in.html

A woman working for ISIS known as 'crocodile jaws' has had her teeth shattered in a revenge attack after she bit hundreds of women deemed to be violating modesty laws.

The woman was reportedly ambushed outside her house in the northern Iraqi town of Hawija, Kirkuk as revenge for biting more than 200 women.

She was a 'biter' for ISIS's female vigilante division, tasked with savagely chomping on the hands of other women accused of disobeying the group's moral code.

I know I'm supposed to feel sorry for her, but I don't.

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

They really need to keep their fatwas focused on condemning terrorism, not on progressive efforts by other Muslims.  

• Like 1

“Man who beat wife said he didn’t know it was against law,” read a recent headline in the New Brunswick Telegraph Journal.

The man – Mohamad Rafia, a Syrian refugee – didn’t just beat his wife, he beat her with a hockey stick. For half an hour.

Rafia told a Fredericton court that he didn’t know it was a crime in Canada to beat your wife with a hockey stick for half an hour.

---

“Officials didn’t inform him of the differences in the law in Canada and that more should have been done to educate him,” said the interpreter. “Why didn’t they explain the law?”

The battered wife defended her abusive husband, according to a Fredericton police statement. “Being assaulted by her spouse is culturally accepted (in) the country they are from.”

Not only did these Syrian refugees claim to not know it was a crime for a man to hit his wife with a hockey stick, they also defended the abuse and tried to direct blame onto Canadian officials.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/06/16/the-real-legacy-of-trudeaus-syrian-refugee-program

It appears orientation sessions for fast-tracked Syrian refugees (was Rafia, a privately sponsored refugee, one of them?), did not take place to uh, save time I guess. That's where Canadian law would have been explained; a minor detail of course. :rolleyes:

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/06/20/trudeaus-fast-tracked-refugees-missed-overseas-orientation-session-docs

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/saudi-arabia-investigates-video-of-young-woman-walking-in-miniskirt/ar-BBEEG2c?li=AAggNb9

“Just like we call on people to respect the laws of countries they travel to, people must also respect the laws of this country,” he wrote.

Ummm....what??

Muslims in Montreal want their own housing development and area of the city, where "outsiders" could live, but only if they dress Muslim.

22 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

cite please

Google is your friend.

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/plan-for-muslim-only-suburb-in-montreal-is-discrimination-quebec-premier-says/wcm/7c5614ca-3328-456f-a945-455d07ef995b

He said non-Muslims would be welcome to move into his project of prefabricated homes, but they would have to share the values of their Muslim neighbours.

“You don’t drive drunk on the street. If you want to drink alcohol, you drink it in your house,” he said. Women could choose whether to wear the headscarf but they could not walk around in a halter-top and shorts.

“There must be some modesty in the way you dress. We don’t want women living there going half-naked down the streets. We don’t like that,” he said. 

At least they will allow Western women  to "choose" whether they wear a headscarf.  

Although the "choice" is always similar to a mugging:   "Your money or your life"

Oh yeah, and no more having a beer with your neighbors on a hot Saturday afternoon - you do that in your house, you immoral heathen!

Edited by Goddess

4 minutes ago, Goddess said:

Google is your friend.

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/plan-for-muslim-only-suburb-in-montreal-is-discrimination-quebec-premier-says/wcm/7c5614ca-3328-456f-a945-455d07ef995b

At least they will allow Western women  to "choose" whether they wear a headscarf.  

Although the "choice" is always similar to a mugging:   "Your money or your life"

Oh yeah, and no more having a beer with your neighbors on a hot Saturday afternoon - you do that in your house, you immoral heathen!

They have certainly gone too far in dictating who can wear what.  Your religion does not extend past your door to control what other people can do, whether it offends your sensibilities or not.

2 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

They have certainly gone too far in dictating who can wear what.  Your religion does not extend past your door to control what other people can do, whether it offends your sensibilities or not.

This is just one instance.  There have been many like this in Europe.  

This is why when apologists say Muslims don't want to change our country into an Islamic hellhole, they are full of crap.  

Edited by Goddess

2 minutes ago, Goddess said:

This is just one instance.  There have been many like this in Europe.  

This is why when apologists say Muslims don't want to change our country into an Islamic hellhole, they are full of crap.  

Many Christians would like to impose their values on the rest of us as well.  There are plenty of crazy dogmatic people like this.  At least you didn't make the leap from halter top guy to terrorism...  although, women not allowed to wear halter tops isn't exactly "an Islamic hellhole".  What is it when Christian groups don't like how women dress?  A Christian hellhole?

Is Trinity Western Univ. a "Christian hellhole" because they make their students pledge to dress modestly under the threat of expulsion?

5 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

What is it when Christian groups don't like how women dress?  A Christian hellhole?

Is there a lot of Christian "morality police" going around beating and harrassing women who don't dress they way they want?

Edited by Goddess

3 minutes ago, Goddess said:

Is there a lot of Christian "morality police" going around beating and harrassing women who don't dress they way they want?

Where is this happening in Canada?

6 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

Many Christians would like to impose their values on the rest of us as well.

This country is and has always been a majority Christian country. So if Christians in general wished to impose their morality they could do so. Clearly they do not.

Now, do "some" wish to? Sure. The difference between "us" and "them" is that the majority of Christians in the west are secular minded and kind of lackadaisical about the morality rules of their churches. That is most definitely NOT the case for "them". There are few secularists in the Muslim world. Why? Because Islam contains explicit rules for how societies and governments are to be ordered. And those rules come from God Himself. If you don't believe in those rules then you're probably not an observant Muslim.

6 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

Is Trinity Western Univ. a "Christian hellhole" because they make their students pledge to dress modestly under the threat of expulsion?

You join TWU voluntarily, and you wouldn't do so if you weren't an observant Christian who believed in their rules. There's a vast gulf between that and imposing morality rules on society as a whole.

6 minutes ago, Goddess said:

I don't know.  You're the one who said Christians were running rampant, trying to impose their views on the rest of us.

You implied that Muslims are running around doing this.  Where in Canada are Muslims doing this?