This week in Islam

kimmy

7 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Almost a daily occurrence now. As the Mayor of London said, get used to it. It's the new normal.

Yep, said so myself - 16 years ago. And neither you nor the Mayor of London have seen anything yet btw, not even close - I've been saying that for several years too.

Why you bozos imagine this stuff requires a rocket science or history degree to see it coming is hilarious.

14 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Yep, said so myself - 16 years ago. And neither you nor the Mayor of London have seen anything yet btw, not even close - I've been saying that for several years too.

Why you bozos imagine this stuff requires a rocket science or history degree to see it coming is hilarious.

That's quite the theory you have that Islamic Terrorism started in 2001.

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

This news didn't seem to have gotten much coverage as this time round it was a white man van driver terrorising muslims at the mosque:

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/london-terror-attack-finsbury-park-13204046?service=responsive

6 hours ago, kactus said:

And following from the terrorist attack against muslims in Finsbury Park the insanity continues.....This time another deranged idiot attacking worshippers at Regents Park mosque:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/21/police-taser-man-suspected-of-attacking-regents-park-mosque-worshippers

He does sound deranged since a shoehorn stolen from within the mosque and used as a weapon doesn't suggest a great deal of planning or intelligent design.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goddess said:

I don't think this kind of thing is justified on either side - for terrorism or revenge.

I feel like the world is being drawn into a war. I hope it's mankind's last religious war. Stupidity.

We've been at war for quite some time. Just not total war...

For example: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-wiltshire-40341913

Perfect target...

I used to be able to walk right-up to that bit o' British Heritage...no guards/security/fences/etc.

28 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

We've been at war for quite some time. Just not total war...

For example: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-wiltshire-40341913

Perfect target...

I used to be able to walk right-up to that bit o' British Heritage...no guards/security/fences/etc.

It's a shame....Stonehenge was a highlight of being in the UK for me.

Edited by Goddess

11 hours ago, DogOnPorch said:

That's quite the theory you have that Islamic Terrorism started in 2001.

That's quite the reading comprehension issue you have if that's what you think I said.

Besides which haven't you suggested it actually started some 1400 years ago?

Just now, eyeball said:

That's quite the reading comprehension issue you have if that's what you think I said.

Besides which haven't you suggested it actually started some 1400 years ago?

Islamic terrorism started with Mohammad. Correct. 

Allah's Apostle said, "I have been sent with the shortest expressions bearing the widest meanings, and I have been made victorious with terror (cast in the hearts of the enemy), and while I was sleeping, the keys of the treasures of the world were brought to me and put in my hand." Abu Huraira added: Allah's Apostle has left the world and now you, people, are bringing out those treasures.

26 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

It's your shtick...that Islam was turned violent by actions of the West. 

No it isn't.  It's that million upon millions of otherwise ordinary people became really pissed off by our actions, some more so than others is all and religion is simply the common organizing force around which many have gathered. It's been pretty effective too - a lot more so than the BS stories being cobbled together within our society - something that's evidenced on a daily basis by the divisiveness that's demonstrated in this forum.

This confusion is the essence of the CIA's use of the term blowback - the inability of the public to place the events unfolding around it in any kind of context, especially a moral one. That this state of affairs is often deliberately taken advantage of by people in authority and who should know better is particularly egregious.   They're the equivalent of the radicalizing Imams you like quoting.  They're basically no different than you in other words.

Blowback

Blowback is a term originating from within the American Intelligence community, denoting the unintended consequences, unwanted side-effects, or suffered repercussions of a covert operation that fall back on those responsible for the aforementioned operations. To the civilians suffering the blowback of covert operations, the effect typically manifests itself as "random" acts of political violence without a discernible, direct cause; because the public—in whose name the intelligence agency acted—are unaware of the effected secret attacks that provoked revenge (counter-attack) against them.[1]

Source

Edited by eyeball

32 minutes ago, eyeball said:

It's that million upon millions of otherwise ordinary people became really pissed off by our actions, some more so than others is all

Does this excuse also apply to ones like the white guys in the UK who recently took revenge on innocent Muslims?

Just now, Goddess said:

Does this excuse understanding also apply to ones like the white guys in the UK who recently took revenge on innocent Muslims?

FIFY.

And yes it does. In case you hadn't noticed yet the world is rapidly filling up with really pissed off people.

I guess I'm just fed up making excuses for you people.

Why you think understanding the cause of something is the same as supporting or making excuses for it is your business. You should either keep it to yourselves or expect to get your noses rubbed in it.

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

I guess I'm just fed up making excuses for you people.

Why you think understanding the cause of something is the same as supporting or making excuses for it is your business. You should either keep it to yourselves or expect to get your noses rubbed in it.

My understanding is that hatred of the West's actions is just one of the motivating factors for terrorism and certainly that excuse has not even been invoked by many terrorists.  They are also motivated by what Islam teaches.  I'm not ignorant.  I just don't think all terrorists are protesting the West's actions.   And I also don't think killing innocent people is a good excuse for it.  Neither is the religion.  I said there is no excuse on either side and you're arguing with me on that.

• Like 1

Some behaviours I don't mind making excuses for - everybody has moments when they're stressed and rude or even completely ignorant to other people.  I get that.

But making excuses for rudeness  is vastly different than making excuses for terrorists killing innocent people or revenge killings.

Edited by Goddess

4 minutes ago, Goddess said:

My understanding is that hatred of the West's actions is just one of the motivating factors for terrorism and certainly that excuse has not even been invoked by many terrorists.  They are also motivated by what Islam teaches.  I'm not ignorant.  I just don't think all terrorists are protesting the West's actions.   And I also don't think killing innocent people is a good excuse for it.  Neither is the religion.  I said there is no excuse on either side and you're arguing with me on that.

My understanding is that our actions are still the main root cause but that understanding has been officially denied and avoided for so long that its been supplanted with your...excuses...instead.

25 minutes ago, Goddess said:

You will have to prove to me that terrorists are in no way motivated by their religion.  Especially when most of them acknowledge that it is.

Most of them are as ignorant as we are - they're as crippled as we are when it comes to putting what's happening into any sort of reasoned evidenced based context.

I'm quite confident the proof you require would come out in an official multi-national investigation (Truth Commission) into the root causes. The main problem is probably the fear of reparations that will be required to fix things hence the deflective denial-based accusations that trying to understand what these are is the same as being with the terrorists.  Recall how Brian Mulroney accused the NDP and by extension NDP supporters as being with the terrorists for this very reason.  Is it safe to assume you agreed with his assessment and denunciation?

"Allahu Akkbar" ring any bells?

It's certainly reminiscent of how great the west is said to be by the faithful.

Edited by eyeball

4 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Recall how Brian Mulroney accused the NDP and by extension NDP supporters as being with the terrorists for this very reason.  Is it safe to assume you agreed with his assessment and denunciation?

I don't recall that.  I wasn't allowed to have an interest in politics for most of my life. I'm coming late to the game, so I appreciate everyone's patience with me here.