This week in Islam

kimmy

Fortunately this guy was stopped

A Syrian man who is a refugee was arrested Wednesday on terrorism charges in connection with a plan to attack a church in Pittsburgh, according to authorities.

Mustafa Mousab Alowemer, 21, was arrested based on a federal complaint charging him with one count of attempting to provide material support and resources to the self-described Islamic State, also known as ISIS, according to the U.S. Justice Department. He’s also charged with two counts of distributing information relating to an explosive, destructive device or weapon of mass destruction in relation to a plan to attack the Legacy International Worship Center on the city’s north side.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/syrian-refugee-arrested-planning-attack-church_n_5d0aada8e4b0f7b7442b8077

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

I don't agree that you can simply draw a line between Islam and the choices made by authorities imposing Sharia law, whether government or clerics.  They are the representatives and interpreters of Islam for billions of people world wide, Muslim and non-Muslim.  If death for apostasy or homosexuality is "not" Islamic, then Muslims should object vehemently to it being included as part of Sharia wherever it is.  Do they?  If they do not, or if they excuse its "wrongness" because Islam is perfect and Sharia administered by people is not, then they too misrepresent Islam.  If these things are Islamic and accurately represented in Sharia, then those who believe Islam promotes brutal punishment are not wrong.

Either Sharia represents Islam accurately or it does not.  If it does not, then Muslims should not be following it, imo.

I understand that it's not really Islam's concern if we non-Muslims don't "get it".  And that may have worked if Muslims were not dispersing around the world in the shadow of extremist attacks in Western countries.  I know there are efforts around the world to change the perception of Islam as stuck in the 14th century, remaining backward and ignorant.  If that is to be successful, if Muslims want to change that perception, they and their leaders will have to do more than say "Islam is perfect, Sharia law isn't but we support it because the Quran and Hadiths say stuff."  Without that extra effort, too many Muslim people in Western countries will feel the pain of hatred and persecution that they do not deserve, imo.

Drawing the line is easier than not drawing the line IF one studies Islam. The Quran and the Hadith and the Sunnah and history need to be studied carefully. If you haven't studied them it's understandable you don't see the line, but it isn't understandable you want to decide what befits the law and what doesn't. 

The Muslim world is full of Muslims who oppose the sharia law as prescribed by their governments. But this by most part is not because they want to do away with Sharia and use your laws instead. No. They just want to do away with things they believe do not belong to Islam. And in those countries they have other laws in use but just Sharia. So before you criticise a specific country's law and call it Sharia you have to check what else it consists of. 

Governments and clerics do not interpret "Islam". There is nothing to interpret. Muslims follow the Quran and the prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wa sallam). There are not many ways to interpret the Quran, though many say so. The interpretation is either right or wrong. It is an individual Muslim's duty to find the information they need or to try their best. So if a Muslim is wrongly guided because of a cleric, he is responsible for it himself as there are many highly respected Islamic scholars in the world. The main idea is that if a teaching - no matter who it comes from - is controversial to the Qur'an or the Prophet's (sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) teachings, which are available for all to read, it is to be rejected. 

In Islam religion cannot be forced on anyone. The Muslims who believe know that what they follow is the only right religion and know that there can be no fault in it. But it is not up to them to make people believe so. If all the people in the world knew what Islam is, everyone would be Muslim. But that is not the way it is, nor is it the way it will ever be - as Allah tells us this in the Quran. The Muslims will always be persecuted.

6 hours ago, Marocc said:

In Islam religion cannot be forced on anyone. 

Dear Persians...

"You should convert to Islam and then you will be safe, for if you don't, you should know that I have come to you with an army of men that love death as you love life."

---Abu Bakr via messenger

Edited by DogOnPorch

3 hours ago, GostHacked said:

This is how I see it.  It's all proxy wars between superpowers and has been for decades.  Yes Iran does sponsor terror, and so do the 'allies' the west supports. But it's never balanced to say that 'yes our guys are just as bad and we should stop supporting them'.

The problem really is western intransigence. So long as the politics of admitting wrong are pure Kryptonite to anyone or thing that approaches it these proxy wars will last indefinitely.  

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

The problem really is western intransigence. So long as the politics of admitting wrong are pure Kryptonite to anyone or thing that approaches it these proxy wars will last indefinitely.  

We see that with this recent drone incident. The US / Saudi Arabia is doing what they can to provoke a war with Iran.  Except no one is buying it this time that this is Iran's fault.

We saw it before where the US flies a drone into Iran, they hack it , steal it, and then the US under Obama begged for it back.

Edited by GostHacked

5 hours ago, eyeball said:

The problem really is western intransigence.

I know you like to blame on "the West" for many of the world's problems, but China and Russia are not the west. No amount of apologizing, accepting blame or being nice will make them stand down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Marocc said:

The main issue in the Middle East is the cold war between Iran and Saudi Arabia.

Yes I know, and those countries represent the divide between superpowers. And that is why there will never be peace in the ME.

Only the peace of the grave...

Edited by OftenWrong

6 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1) You appear to be one of those leftists in denial.  The title of the thread is "This week in Islam".

There was a Muslim in Starbucks in Red Deer today.  He got a latte.

2 hours ago, bcsapper said:

There was a Muslim in Starbucks in Red Deer today.  He got a latte.

If any other religion was responsible for over 200 deaths in a single week, the media would have kittens.

But one can feel the MEH...

:D

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

Brutal scum skims is an anagram for Starbucks Muslim.

Red Deer Latte is an anagram for Retard Delete.

Brutal scum skims retard delete.

I prefer Sudoku, but whatever turns your crank...

13 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

If any other religion was responsible for over 200 deaths in a single week, the media would have kittens.

But one can feel the MEH...

:D

I was just trying Michael's idea, but it really doesn't soar.  And it made him go all anagrammatic. I hope he gets better.

1 minute ago, OftenWrong said:

There will be peace in Korangal Valley when the locals are underground.

There was one firebase in that valley that was pretty much under fire 24/7. There was a good documentary on the place...

12 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Hey, my hometown made the news.

Counter extremism? We ain't got no counter extremism. We don't need no counter extremism. I don't have to show you any stinkin' counter extremism!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jun/20/six-pull-out-bradford-literature-festival-counter-extremism-funding

This is what I don't understand.  MUslims insist that they do not have to do anything about the extremism in Islam, Leftists agree with and support them in that view AND they also don't want anyone else doing anything about Islamic extremism.  Go figure.

They're boycotting because they believe the counter-terrorism initiative of the government focuses exclusively on Muslims, as if no other group could have radicals or indulge in terror.  Meanwhile alt-right groups continue to increase and terror attacks against minorities become more common.  Six Muslims withdrew, the rest did not.

But trust a "critic of Islam" to criticize and condemn "Muslims and Leftists" because they "don't want to do anything about terrorism" based on the actions of six people.

I don't know if these six people are correct in their assessment of the government's actions, but it might have been a legitimate discussion in a broader discussion of how to best address radicalization. 

Instead, someone who styles themselves a "critic of Islam" uses it to claim Muslims (and leftists) don't care about terrorism, completely ignoring the Muslims (and leftists) who condemn terrorism and who actively work to ensure young people do not become radicalized.  You also ignore Muslims who work with law enforcement to identify suspects and activities in their communities. 

Nope, here's an opportunity to demonize Muslims and you are all over it like white on rice.

#alt-rightusefulidiot

2 minutes ago, dialamah said:

But trust a "critic of Islam" to criticize and condemn "Muslims and Leftists" because they "don't want to do anything about terrorism" based on the actions of six people.

Nope.  Based on much more than the actions of 6 people.  This is just another example.

You're one of the ones who has consistently bleated that Muslims bear absolutely no responsibility to counter terrorism in their midst and anyone who thinks they should be dealing with it is an Islamophobe.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goddess said:

Nope.  Based on much more than the actions of 6 people.  This is just another example.

You're one of the ones who has consistently bleated that Muslims bear absolutely no responsibility to counter terrorism in their midst and anyone who thinks they should be dealing with it is an Islamophobe.

The function of the Infidel Apologist is to white-wash Islam in hopes of being accepted by the Umma as a friend and ally. They won't be...

I note that you're being called alt-right. Were you spotted putting wax on your Tiger tank or flying a Confederate flag from your front stoop? Or, horrors...teach your dog to mimic Donald Trump???

:lol:

12 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

I note that you're being called alt-right.

Yes.  Even though nobody in real life thinks I'm alt-right and I test mostly Left on quizzes.  My disagreement of Islam being the Religion of Peace makes me an extremist alt-right who should be watched by the police.  

Edited by Goddess
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Goddess said:

Yes.  Even though nobody in real life thinks I'm alt-right and I test mostly Left on quizzes.  My disagreement of Islam being the Religion of Peace makes me an extremist alt-right.

My dear lady, you're alt-right in the same sense my dog is a major league baseball player.

All these non-Muslim folks that support Islam over freedom are in for a surprise when they finally get this primitive death cult in charge of their lives as they desire.

2 hours ago, Goddess said:

You have me confused with a figment of your overheated imaginings. 

I am actually the person who, when someone says "Why aren't Muslims protesting/doing something about terrorism", says "They are" and then posts examples, of which there are thousands to choose, if you cared to look.   

My knowing that billions of Muslims condemn terrorism; that many of them combat it and giving you examples of that isn't what makes you Islamophobic.  It's that you reject any "good" done by Muslims as "not enough" and continue to demonize them any chance you get.