Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson's comments.

WWWTT

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed - it's not all fake. But fakeness is a kind of taint... if something is even a little fake then it's not 100% genuine right ?

Not necessarily.....A&E has an excellent "reality" crime program called "The First 48 ", but the producers have to alter names to protect real people, just like Jack Webb's Dragnet decades ago.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Agreed - it's not all fake. But fakeness is a kind of taint... if something is even a little fake then it's not 100% genuine right ?

It gets even more interesting:

"Phil is not backing down an inch. He sees himself more as a preacher than a TV star, and so do 'Duck Dynasty's' viewers."

"DUCK DYNASTY" star Phil Robertson hates the way producers manipulated the wildly popular reality show and vows that he's done with it for good!

Phil blasts producers as lying, two-faced scoundrels for trying to present the clan in a false light.

Furthermore, sources say he knew exactly what he was doing when he condemned gays in a fiery magazine interview ...

Ducks Unlimited has actually benefited from Duck Dynasty, raising membership and awareness of their programs.

Phil doesn't care ...

But Phil, already filthy rich from the invention of the Louisiana bayou clan's popular duck call and other business interests, could not care less about the money or the series.

Phil doesn't care ...

But Phil, already filthy rich from the invention of the Louisiana bayou clan's popular duck call and other business interests, could not care less about the money or the series.

Not your call.....even when stating the obvious.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

It gets even more interesting:

"Phil is not backing down an inch. He sees himself more as a preacher than a TV star, and so do 'Duck Dynasty's' viewers."

"DUCK DYNASTY" star Phil Robertson hates the way producers manipulated the wildly popular reality show and vows that he's done with it for good!

Phil blasts producers as lying, two-faced scoundrels for trying to present the clan in a false light.

Furthermore, sources say he knew exactly what he was doing when he condemned gays in a fiery magazine interview ...

That would be hilarious if it wasn't so serious a post by you. You reference/quote the National Enquirer and aren't embarrassed. Well, "I'm embarrassed for you, Marty!"

Trolling is the consequence of a lazy mind.

I think they're conservatives and their beliefs are real, they're just playing a caricature stereotype of a southern redneck for show. You can be a clean cut MBA with nice hair and at the same time believe that homosexuality is a sin.

That's why I said I wouldn't like this stereotype of my ideology being perpetuated like that if I were conservative.

It's like a 1900's freak show.

Can you elaborate on why conservatives would be embarrassed by the Robertson family? Aside from dubious grooming habits, I'm not actually aware of anything about the Robertsons that would reflect poorly on people who share their views.

I've never watched the show. Have you?

-k

Nobody is saying the business and hunting are fake. The characters are almost certainly fake and so are the situations on the show.

Yes, the situations that occur on the show are contrived. That much was covered in the GQ interview. And we've already discussed that they don't wear camo 24/7.

So what, exactly, are you guys saying IS fake?

You don't think Phil Robertson is actually a born-again Christian? You don't think Phil Robertson actually shares a view of homosexuality that is held by somewhere over 100 million other Americans? Why? Why would that be hard to believe? You couldn't swing a possum in rural Louisiana without hitting a born-again Christian who thinks homosexuality is a sin. Seems an odd think to doubt.

Further to that, there's now apparently video footage of Phil Robertson dating to before the TV show, in which he tells men they ought to marry women who are 15 or 16, because if you wait until she's 20 she's just going to be picking your wallet. So if anything, it sounds the Phil that's on TV is probably, if anything, toned down compared to real life.

-k

Guest Derek L

Can you elaborate on why conservatives would be embarrassed by the Robertson family? Aside from dubious grooming habits, I'm not actually aware of anything about the Robertsons that would reflect poorly on people who share their views.

-k

I’ve watched a couple of episodes during a marathon a few weeks ago, aside from the ZZ Top attire (and perhaps eating squirrels) I didn’t see anything offensive……the “reality genre” is not really my bag, but didn’t see anything wrong with the show per-say………
But I will say this, the hunting scenes are quite obviously staged, in particular Uncle Si hunting wild Turkey with a banjo…….unless of course turkeys in their (red)neck of the woods are retarded and quite likely deaf…..
Overall, in my view, they’re harmless…….

I’ve watched a couple of episodes during a marathon a few weeks ago, aside from the ZZ Top attire (and perhaps eating squirrels) I didn’t see anything offensive……the “reality genre” is not really my bag, but didn’t see anything wrong with the show per-say………
But I will say this, the hunting scenes are quite obviously staged, in particular Uncle Si hunting wild Turkey with a banjo…….unless of course turkeys in their (red)neck of the woods are retarded and quite likely deaf…..
Overall, in my view, they’re harmless…….

My favourite episode is the donut eating contest.

I'm perplexed. BC_Chick clearly DOESN'T think the leftist trope is any better and said so right off... am I missing something here or are you just playing with me ?

You're a patient man.

-k

I've seen clips on YouTube.

And I never said I'd be embarrassed, I just wouldn't be happy about the stereotype being perpetuated.

It's the same idea as having a caricature black person/latino/etc. that exaggerates certain negative qualities that are usually associated with a particular sub-culture.

I am surprised there isn't more accusations of "Liberal Media" being hurled at A&E about this, to be honest.

...It's the same idea as having a caricature black person/latino/etc. that exaggerates certain negative qualities that are usually associated with a particular sub-culture.

But again, this presumes that there is a universal dislike for such exaggeration(s) by a particular sub-culture, when this is clearly not always the case. "Redneck culture" is widely celebrated in American media and has been for many decades. The attributes of other "sub-cultures" are also embraced and depicted without widespread embarrassment or unhappiness, and in many cases such stereotypes are purposely exaggerated to achieve mainstream understanding and acceptance by the larger population.

But again, this presumes that there is a universal dislike for such exaggeration(s) by a particular sub-culture, when this is clearly not always the case. "Redneck culture" is widely celebrated in American media and has been for many decades. The attributes of other "sub-cultures" are also embraced and depicted without widespread embarrassment or unhappiness, and in many cases such stereotypes are purposely exaggerated to achieve mainstream understanding and acceptance by the larger population.

Quite true. Not only that, but it's rich to hear such feigned concern from the certain ilk of the forum, that otherwise mock and ridicule the same group of people any other time. Not only that, but they routinely use the term "redneck" as an invective.

I've seen clips on YouTube.

And I never said I'd be embarrassed, I just wouldn't be happy about the stereotype being perpetuated.

It's the same idea as having a caricature black person/latino/etc. that exaggerates certain negative qualities that are usually associated with a particular sub-culture.

I am surprised there isn't more accusations of "Liberal Media" being hurled at A&E about this, to be honest.

To add to Dick's comments above, I would say that this sort of program can help to humanize people.

I don't know that the Robertson family (prior to this controversy, at least) ever attempted to represent conservatives. They're obviously big fans of the right to own guns, and they're obviously big into prayer... but I don't know that anything about the program is in particular a platform for conservative ideology. So I don't see why the program would be embarrassing to conservatives. I think the speakers list at the Value Voters Summit should be far more embarrassing to conservatives than a rural family on a TV show.

-k

The certain ilk? Are you the uncertain ilk? I'd say so, judging from your stand on global warming, where you say it's real and then claim it's fake. :lol:

He's talking about the 95% of us 'ilk' who are to the left of 'praise-the-lord-and-pass-the-amunition-unless-you're-gay-or-black'.

You couldn't swing a possum in rural Louisiana without hitting a born-again Christian who thinks homosexuality is a sin. Seems an odd think to doubt.

-k

It's not merely thinking homosexuality is a sin. He said, in no uncertain terms, that homosexuality leads to bestiality and other things. That's why his comments were so insulting. It's exactly like the idiots that claim homosexuality leads to pedophilia. There's no religious basis for it and there certainly isn't any empirical evidence for it. Edited by cybercoma