Hey let's talk about the Leafs

Boges

It's really crazy that they're paying almost 3 times more than nearest highest paid coach in the NHL. He'll make more than a huge majority of the players.

MLSE can afford it.

It's about time the leafs used some of their financial power. Coaches and front office people don't count against the cap. They should go after the best and the brightest in the league, price isn't a concern.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is pretty funny. The pressure to win will start May 21, 2015.

Reports say that the contract is heavily front loaded and has an out clause for Babcock.

Oh my.

Shanny what have you done?

McLellan got $3 million per year for five years in Edmonton. Quenneville is reportedly making $2.75 in Chicago. Every coach in the league will eventually get a fat raise because of Babcock.

No there is no out clause.

Would he have gone to this team if they hadn't paid him this much? It's a good retirement gig... Mega dollars, no pressure to win because the team is useless and an out-clause when the inept management/players become too much to put up with even for that kind of money.

Yes... as usual, Shady is wrong... There is an out-clause.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-mike-babcock-to-coach-maple-leafs/

Would he have gone to this team if they hadn't paid him this much? It's a good retirement gig... Mega dollars, no pressure to win because the team is useless and an out-clause when the inept management/players become too much to put up with even for that kind of money.

Yes as usual I was wrong, like when I said months ago that the Leafs would sign Babcock! Lol.

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&andor_type=&sid=9a3183f60d24decadc54b217cdeed420&search_app_filters[forums][sortKey]=date&cType=topic&cId=19732&search_app_filters[forums][sortKey]=date&search_term=babcock&search_app=forums&st=25

This very thread - January 7th is the day when Squid and Shady opine on this subject - neither quite definitively - with Squid saying Babcock likely won't end up in Toronto and Shady saying the opposite.

Can somebody explain to me why our new Leafs Jesus is better than that one a few years ago - that came from the Ducks ? They both won one cup didn't they ?

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&andor_type=&sid=9a3183f60d24decadc54b217cdeed420&search_app_filters[forums][sortKey]=date&cType=topic&cId=19732&search_app_filters[forums][sortKey]=date&search_term=babcock&search_app=forums&st=25

This very thread - January 7th is the day when Squid and Shady opine on this subject - neither quite definitively - with Squid saying Babcock likely won't end up in Toronto and Shady saying the opposite.

Can somebody explain to me why our new Leafs Jesus is better than that one a few years ago - that came from the Ducks ? They both won one cup didn't they ?

I wouldn't say it's just Babcock, it's him and Shanahan, and Mark Hunter.

And the contract is front end loaded.

The last CBA restricted teams ability to do that with players contracts, guess it doesn't apply to coaches...

It won't be management or the players that drive Babcock or anybody else out. It is the media and fans. And it will start right now, not in two years. There is no time off in Leaf Nation. The pressure will be relentless.

• 1 month later...

So far I really like what the Leafs have done in the draft. Picking Marner was a no-brainer, but then turning their other late first round pick into 2 seconds and 2 thirds is awesome. They said they wanted to try and get Tim Hunter as many picks as possible. Hunter's a great talent evaluator with a tremendous record. Him and Kyle Dubas, Shannahan and Babcock mark a significant upgrade over the front office staff they've had since probably Cliff Fletcher in the early 90s when they were cup contenders.

Marner, Dermont, Bracco and Nielsen, are all great picks. Leafs fans should be proud of management. If they can manage to get some good prospetcs for Kessel they may have a real nice turn around.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and remember that you heard it here first. Looking back on this draft 5, 10, 15 years down the road I bet that Nikita Korostelev, who the leafs picked with their last pick in the 7th round, will be known as the biggest steal of this draft.
I'm really proud of the Jets getting Kyle Connor, Jack Roslovic and Jansen Harkins. We came out with a Connor and a Jack just not as highly ranked.
What also excited me is that the Boston Boooins made some terrible trades giving up Dougie Hamilton and Milan Lucic for what may be the worst 3 picks of the first round at least that high up. the bruins should be awesomely terrible next year. So I'm happy.

Edited by PrimeNumber

Yeah leafs are entering full rebuild. Next to go should be Phanuef. If they can get more picks and prospects for him they should have a pretty stocked cupboard for anywhere from 2-4 years down the road. Essentially they should be finishing in the bottom 5 in the league next season and that draft is already shaping up to not be as deep as the 2015 draft but to have a lot higher talent in the top 10, some potential franchise players in the top 5.
It's going to be a long road for the most impatient fans in the world but if they can endure another 2, 3 possibly even 4 more years of mediocrity the leafs will emerge with a very good team.

Leafs got hosed, but they were never going to get value on the trade because that's just how these things work these days. This also means Phaneuf is here to stay: no one is taking him without the leafs eating salary and they're already maxed out there.

Meanwhile, Kessel is going to pot at least 40 goals next year. :lol:

Leafs got hosed, but they were never going to get value on the trade because that's just how these things work these days. This also means Phaneuf is here to stay: no one is taking him without the leafs eating salary and they're already maxed out there.

He's going to pot 40 goals cause he'll be playing with Crosby. But they didn't get hosed at all. You can't judge a trade involving good prospects until at least a couple of years later to see how they turned out. They'll also have 2 first round picks again next year. Leaf haters always gonna hate, no matter what. It's just typical.

Yeah leafs are entering full rebuild. Next to go should be Phanuef. If they can get more picks and prospects for him they should have a pretty stocked cupboard for anywhere from 2-4 years down the road. Essentially they should be finishing in the bottom 5 in the league next season and that draft is already shaping up to not be as deep as the 2015 draft but to have a lot higher talent in the top 10, some potential franchise players in the top 5.

It's going to be a long road for the most impatient fans in the world but if they can endure another 2, 3 possibly even 4 more years of mediocrity the leafs will emerge with a very good team.

Exactly. For some reason people think they should have gotten an equally good player at the same stage of their career. But what good does that do for a rebuild when the time frame is at least a few years from now? Answer: Nothing. It's also why all their free agent signs yesterday were for only 1 year deals.

This is bang on. Kessel will pot 40 because the Pens are reasonably sound defensively so he will only be required to float and score. Guys like Kessel are only effective on complete teams. Pat Kane would have had a similar fate if he was a Leaf instead of a Hawk.

He's going to pot 40 goals cause he'll be playing with Crosby. But they didn't get hosed at all. You can't judge a trade involving good prospects until at least a couple of years later to see how they turned out. They'll also have 2 first round picks again next year. Leaf haters always gonna hate, no matter what. It's just typical.

Kapanen is the only prospect that looks to be worth a damn.

Exactly. For some reason people think they should have gotten an equally good player at the same stage of their career.

FTR, the Leafs were never going to get good value for Kessel. You never do when you trade a player of that calibre for magic beans. Believe me, I'm an Oilers fan: no one knows this better than us.

You can't judge a trade involving good prospects until at least a couple of years later to see how they turned out.

So you concede that your analysis that the Jets got hosed in the blockbuster with Buffalo was ridiculous because much of what the Jets got were draft picks and prospects?

So you concede that your analysis that the Jets got hosed in the blockbuster with Buffalo was ridiculous because much of what the Jets got were draft picks and prospects?

Yes, but there's differences between quality of prospects. Not all prospects are the same.

Kapanen is the only prospect that looks to be worth a damn.

FTR, the Leafs were never going to get good value for Kessel. You never do when you trade a player of that calibre for magic beans. Believe me, I'm an Oilers fan: no one knows this better than us.

That's the thing with prospects though, you don't know how they're going to turn out. The others may not be worth a damn, or they might. They certainly played well for Canada during the World Junior Championships. I agree though, they didn't get absolute full value for Kessel.