Hey let's talk about the Leafs

Boges

Interesting format change for today's all-star game. Instead of two teams playing 3 periods of hockey, it will be four teams playing a mini-tournament.

Each of the four divisions fields a team, and the first two periods of the all-star game will be a game between two divisions. I gather Atlantic plays Metropolitan in the first period, and Pacific plays Central in the second period. The third period will pit the winner of the first two games against each other. The members of the winning team will apparently get substantial cash lootz, so they should be pretty motivated.

-k

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope there's at least a little defence played. And gasp, maybe even a little body contact!

Body contact is frowned upon by the players themselves in the allstar game.

It has been interesting to see how coaches have adapted to the 3 on 3 overtime already. More games are going to shootouts now, early in the season most were decided quickly in overtime. Now we see the strategy of not attacking all the time, teams rag the puck to allow fresh players out on the ice- and they are not always offensive players. on the ice during overtime now

John Scott is the only reason to watch the game... but still not enough for me to actually watch it.

The NHL has shown itself to be petty and disorganized in how they have attempted to remove Scott from the game. Bettman should resign.

John Scott is the only reason to watch the game... but still not enough for me to actually watch it.

The NHL has shown itself to be petty and disorganized in how they have attempted to remove Scott from the game. Bettman should resign.

Bettman just got an extension.

The NHL got a win out of this John Scott thing. Feel good story for sure.

Agreed. I really liked the mini-tournament format. There still wasn't much physical play, but the teams were clearly serious about winning, and I think the last thing anybody expected was to see a defensive struggle break out at the all-star game. I think this was by far the most entertaining all-star game I've ever seen.

And the John Scott story was ... heartwarming. That second goal was a true sniper shot. If that's the last we see of him on NHL ice, what a way for him to go out. Aside from 2 goals, he also threw the biggest hit of the game, and had a "fight" with Patrick Kane as well. It was all just tremendously crowd pleasing... it couldn't have turned out better if they planned it. The players obviously rallied around him, and it probably gave Team Pacific extra motivation.

And considering he's now earning an AHL salary and has twins on the way, I'm sure the prize money will really come in handy too.

-k

I'm sure at John Scott's age, he has a 1-way contract... I think 2-way contracts are reserved for players who are on a minor league team's roster... he's in the big leagues! He makes more money in a year than most people earn in a decade. Don't feel too sorry for him

I'm sure at John Scott's age, he has a 1-way contract... I think 2-way contracts are reserved for players who are on a minor league team's roster... he's in the big leagues! He makes more money in a year than most people earn in a decade. Don't feel too sorry for him

People are comparing the John Scott story to Rudy. If Rudy was 6'8 and made it to the Pros I guess. :blink:

A movie is already being pitched I'm sure.

People are comparing the John Scott story to Rudy. If Rudy was 6'8 and made it to the Pros I guess. :blink:

A movie is already being pitched I'm sure.

Well... yeah... did Rudy make $780,000 while being so inspirational? I'm sure John Scott has a very inspirational story making it to the big leagues despite the NHL moving away from goons... but he's had several years of making hundreds of thousands of dollars... if he struggles to raise his newborn child now, then he needed an accountant the last 10 years!

He makes the league minimum of $575k on a one way deal. That is $57K per year on your decade. Many teams have several players who are on 2 ways and earn about 10% to 20% of the minimum NHL when playing in the minors.

And John Scott is not in the big leagues now.

John Scott apparently has an engineering degree from Michigan Tech... so he's probably a pretty smart guy, and could go get a real job when he's done hockey.

I don't even care. This has been the best underdog story in sports in a long time, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

-k

The best part of his story is the support of the other players at the All Star Game. They appeared to genuinely have fun with him.

It is unlikely he will play pro hockey after this season, there is nowhere to go that will pay him much more than he could get with a real job.

His story is similar to George Parros, who played more years and better years in the NHL, and was also an enforcer type. Both played four years in US universities, which is often a hockey career path for those a bit less talented or late to mature as players. Parros got a degree in economics from Princeton, a place that cuts no slack for 'student athletes'. He is a very smart guy.

Did you see this goal last night from McDavid? Absolutely sick. Welcome back McJesus.

I thought he might be a little timid about going hard to the net after the injury, but I guess not. His speed and hands are incredible. He was supposed to be rusty for a few weeks before playing like that.

I mean, I like them....but "new"?

Different. Shanahan seems to want to celebrate Leafs heritage.

When you think about the Leafs were actually good with that logo. 3/4 of the time they had the current Ballard logo they've been awful.

Edited by Boges

Different. Shanahan seems to want to celebrate Leafs heritage.

When you think about the Leafs were actually good with that logo. 3/4 of the time they had the current Ballard logo they've been awful.

The last time the Leafs were in the finals there were only 6 teams in the league. I doubt the logo has had much to do with those results. We're also quickly running out of people who can remember watching them wear the original. I think management is just shaking up the look again, to drive jersey sales.

Edited by Guest

The last time the Leafs were in the finals there were only 6 teams in the league. I doubt the logo has had much to do with those results. We're also quickly running out of people who can remember watching them wear the original. I think management is just shaking up the look again, to drive jersey sales.

Of course they are. It's part of a culture change.

Though this team is a bottom fever, it seems they are finally on the right track management wise.

Ownership finally realized that being mediocre is a self perpetuating cycle and the team needs to be rebuilt.

Culture change? Every team in the league does new jerseys or new logos or both fairly often, the motive is to make money. It has no influence on mediocrity. Actually, I think the Leafs, Oilers and a couple other Canadian teams would be delighted to improve their game to 'medioccre'.