Hey let's talk about the Leafs

Boges

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why Marner is playing this season in the OHL and will play most of next season in the AHL. There's no rush to get him to the NHL. He needs time to develop. I expect him to be on the Lears roster in 2018. Perhaps maybe a bit sooner.

That's why Marner is playing this season in the OHL and will play most of next season in the AHL. There's no rush to get him to the NHL. He needs time to develop. I expect him to be on the Lears roster in 2018. Perhaps maybe a bit sooner.

Yeah, but I'm not talking about him playing in the AHL or NHL, but at a tournament of his peers. He and others on the CDN team have not looked compettive at the highest level in their age group, or very skilled for that matter. Virtanen in particular looks utterly lost, he has become a liability when on the ice.

My expectation is that Marner et al would at least look like contenders at this tournament. They have been pushed around, beat to pucks constantly and essentially handled easily by USA and Sweden, and nearly so by the Swiss.

It looks like they will be going home tomorrow unless they can find some character today. They have sucked at pretty much everything except the area that was most sketchy going in, the goaltending..

On the media level, this is a pending disaster for TSN. They have generally poor content on the network, and the World Juniors is a Big Deal for them. With Canada sucking at this one, it hurts. If Canada gets eliminated tomorrow there will be many TV sets switching to Game of Thrones reruns.

It looks like Marner has a long way to go before he is strong/tough enough for the pros. Though Ottawa had similar problems with Spezza way back when and they managed to turn him around with an embarrassingly long stint in the minors.

Canada could only muster 2 goals against the Swiss, whom USA beat 10-1.

The goalie wasn't the only issue. Lack of discipline was probably their biggest issue. Goaltending certainly wasn't great.

They also had many eligible players already in the NHL. You're not going to have the best juniors every year.

So do other countries... Dylan Larkin for the Red Wings... that Russian kid on Dallas... 2 off the top of my head...

Barkov for the Finns was eligible.

Edited by The_Squid

So do other countries... Dylan Larkin for the Red Wings... that Russian kid on Dallas... 2 off the top of my head...

Yeah but they won easily last year with the current NHLers (Domi, McDavid etc). This is not a crisis moment for Canadian hockey.

Edited by Boges

How bout them Leafs!!!??

I think they should move back to the Western Conference.

If they can beat the Kings tonight break this freakin' team up!!!!

Who's a more interesting team now?

I don't want them to win so much. I want them to draft Matthews. But Babcock is too good of a coach.

• 3 weeks later...

He cross-checked him.... out of frustration perhaps? His actions don't seem like someone attempting to avoid contact.

We can't know for certain, but the video says he should get 20 games.

ETA:

What I want to know is, why didn't the other officials stand up for their teammate and fight Wideman next time he was on the ice???

Also, he clearly wasn't dazed... and had his head up. He slapped his stick on the ice, either out of frustration for the hit he took or to call for a line change. That's not someone who is dazed from a hit. All things point to Bertuzzi-like frustration taken out on the linesman.

Edited by The_Squid

What I want to know is, why didn't the other officials stand up for their teammate and fight Wideman next time he was on the ice???

Stolen from Twitter feed, but still funny.

20 games minimum, the linesman spent the night in hospital and reportedly has a concussion.

Looks to me like Wideman took a step to his left to drill him in the back. The whole opposition bench saw it, watch their reaction.

It is not a certainty that Mathews is still the best or a lock at #1 .... You'd have to take a look at the two Finns, Laine and Pulujarvi

We know whichever one the Leafs pick, they'll be a bust... or they'll trade him for peanuts just before he becomes a good player! :D

another thing about playing in leagues other than the CHL in Canada.... I am not so sure they develop players so well for the grit and grind of NHL life.

No dou

We know whichever one the Leafs pick, they'll be a bust... or they'll trade him for peanuts just before he becomes a good player! :D

I am just assuming that the Oilers will win the #1 pick again.....

bt the Swiss league will help Matthews, but it is not as fierce as a WHL or OHL season.