Hey let's talk about the Leafs

Boges

Like em or hate em.

They're Canada's team. And as of November 4th they're tied with Pittsburgh for tops in the Leage.

They have 2 of the top 5 offensive players in the league and as of last night with Ben Scriven's amazing performance, they have 3 Quality Goaltenders.

Are the Leafs for real?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Leafs look great this year. Brian Burke has done a great job trading and drafting over the last couple of years. They have a pretty solid team, with a lot of younger talented players. I think thy're still a number 1 centre away from being a legitimate cup contender though.

Like em or hate em.

They're Canada's team.

They really aren't.

And as of November 4th they're tied with Pittsburgh for tops in the Leage.

They have 2 of the top 5 offensive players in the league and as of last night with Ben Scriven's amazing performance, they have 3 Quality Goaltenders.

Are the Leafs for real?

I'd say no. Both Lupul and Kessel are known for disappearing for long stretches and the goaltending outlook is less than inspiring. Still, they are a solid team with good depth, but they don't seem to have the kind of royal jelly needed to be a real contender. Oh, they'll make the playoffs and I guess that's something, but it's too early to plan the parade.

Now how about them Oilers? B)

I'd say no. Both Lupul and Kessel are known for disappearing for long stretches and the goaltending outlook is less than inspiring. Still, they are a solid team with good depth, but they don't seem to have the kind of royal jelly needed to be a real contender. Oh, they'll make the playoffs and I guess that's something, but it's too early to plan the parade.

Now how about them Oilers? B)

They just started a rookie goalie and got 38 saves out of him. Gustavson has been fine and there's no reason the believe Reimer has lost anything from last year when he comes back from his injury.

They have a problem now because they have to many decent goalies.

Even if Lupul or Kessel disappear you got MaCarthur, Graboski, Lombardi and this new kid Crab that are all producing their fare share of offense.

They just started a rookie goalie and got 38 saves out of him. Gustavson has been fine and there's no reason the believe Reimer has lost anything from last year when he comes back from his injury.

They have a problem now because they have to many decent goalies.

Gustavsson has a .886 SVP, which is frankly lousy. Reimer is league average, which can be good enough, but I don't think "good enough" wins many titles.

Even if Lupul or Kessel disappear you got MaCarthur, Graboski, Lombardi and this new kid Crab that are all producing their fare share of offense.

Lupul and Kessel have produced 40% of the Leafs goals this season. That's just not sustainable, nor does it speak to any great offensive depth. the Leafs look like a team that could easily drop six in a row if they hit a rough patch of injuries or slumps. If Phaneuf gets hurt or backslides, they are royally

screwed.

Don't get me wrong: I'd like to see the Leafs make the playoffs, and this fast start will help them get there, I just don't see a championship calibre squad there.

Gustavsson has a .886 SVP, which is frankly lousy. Reimer is league average, which can be good enough, but I don't think "good enough" wins many titles.

Lupul and Kessel have produced 40% of the Leafs goals this season. That's just not sustainable, nor does it speak to any great offensive depth. the Leafs look like a team that could easily drop six in a row if they hit a rough patch of injuries or slumps. If Phaneuf gets hurt or backslides, they are royally

screwed.

Don't get me wrong: I'd like to see the Leafs make the playoffs, and this fast start will help them get there, I just don't see a championship calibre squad there.

Lot's of ifs in that post.

Can't predict any of it. Kessel has historically been good with a quality center.

Even a Skeptic has to admit that that Burke has made some really good moves.

Wilson acknowledged they can't move at this clip all season and he wants to load up on as many points as the team can before they hit a rough patch.

I never said the Leafs were a lock for the Cup but they're relevant now.

screwed.

Pretty much any team that loses it's best defenseman to an injury is going to be screwed until they get back. Also, they do have offensive depth. Connolly, and McCarthur are both 20 goal scorers, and Grabovski is a 30 goal scorer. You're right though, they'll make the playoffs, but they're not a cup contenter yet.

Lot's of ifs in that post.

Can't predict any of it. Kessel has historically been good with a quality center.

Well, no kidding, but it's easy to look at, say, Kessels 22.7 shooting percentage and see that there's bound to be some regression.

Even a Skeptic has to admit that that Burke has made some really good moves.

Wilson acknowledged they can't move at this clip all season and he wants to load up on as many points as the team can before they hit a rough patch.

I hate Burke and Wilson (okay: I hate the Leafs), but I'll concede the point.

I never said the Leafs were a lock for the Cup but they're relevant now.

Indeed. They're no Oilers, though. :P

Well, no kidding, but it's easy to look at, say, Kessels 22.7 shooting percentage and see that there's bound to be some regression.

I hate Burke and Wilson (okay: I hate the Leafs), but I'll concede the point.

Indeed. They're no Oilers, though. :P

The Oilers are starting a goalie that played for the Jets the last time they were in Winnipeg.

I like the Oilers, I'd cheer for them second to any Canadian team.

Shows how sucking for years can help a team out.

The Oilers are starting a goalie that played for the Jets the last time they were in Winnipeg.

Not only that he's playing out of his damn mind. Maybe doing time in Arizona was just the ticket.

I wish I could say the same about the leafs, but I have a lot of reasons for disliking the team. Their fans are usually pretty great, though, especially the blue collar guys who have been lifelong fans but have never seen a home game in person because of the ticket prices and demand.

In fairness, the Oiers only really sucked for two years. Pittsburgh blew chunks for a solid five years straight.

Personally, I think the league should ditch the current lottery format and give teams that finish just out of the playoffs a better shot at the lottery to ensure teams have an incentive to compete.

Exactly. I wish the Leafs would have sucked just a little more a few years ago. They could have drafted at number 4 instead of number 5 and gotten Matt Duchene.

Like em or hate em.

They're Canada's team. And as of November 4th they're tied with Pittsburgh for tops in the Leage.

Are the Leafs for real?

They are playing a nice motion style, good short passing to guys in open lanes, it looks really good so far. But then... other seasons have looked 'good so far' only to have the 'Leafs fall in November.' There is a certain kind logic to that old joke. See how they do through til January and weather some injury periods.

Then the old Kessel factor. If he can keep it up and not have to be a guy that needs 'a special centreman,' to be consistent, he'll give them a chance. Still waiting on Lupul and a few other guys, but at least they have some depth with guys that know the system.

The big concern is the brutal special teams. I wince when they take a penalty and don't get too excited when they go on the powerplay.

Still, I wish Rick Nash were a Leaf. :D

I'll watch them again when they're in the finals.

You might want to leabe instructions/funds in your will for your great grandchildren in that regard. They could PVR the series and forward it to your celestial home.

Yes, both goalies are playing well. Kahbibulin is no James Reimer, but he does have a Cup, a world championship, a couple of Olympic medals and four alstar appearances.

The Oilers have turned their game on its head, they are not winning on golatending so much as great team defense and much improved special teams.

Still waiting on Lupul
Don't hold your breath. Lupul has looked this good on a few teams already in his short career.
They're Canada's team.
No, they are not. It is this type of bland arrogance that causes so much of Canada to actively loathe the Leafs and wish them ill.

'Canadas team' appears once per year at the World Championships, once per year at the World Juniors and once every four years at the Olympics. And I cannot rememeber the last time it had a Leaf on any of those teams.

The Oilers have turned their game on its head, they are not winning on golatending so much as great team defense and much improved special teams.

It's all on coaching and depth IMO. Renney is killing the line matchups (the Oilers have had a favourable home/road schedule), making sure the kids are getting their starts in the o-zone, while the Horcoff-Smyth line doe sthe heavy lifting. The D has been a strong suit with Smid and Gilbert looking like a legit shutdown pairing and Potter coming out of nowhere. And they're doing it without their best defender and one of their top wingers. Strange, wonderful stuff.

No, they are not. It is this type of bland arrogance that causes so much of Canada to actively loathe the Leafs and wish them ill.

'Canadas team' appears once per year at the World Championships, once per year at the World Juniors and once every four years at the Olympics. And I cannot rememeber the last time it had a Leaf on any of those teams.

In many cases they are.

Ask an NHL owner, he'll set you straight.

Love em or hate em, people in all the other cities buy tickets when the Leafs come to town.

They are fun to watch so that is good. And almost better is watching the Oilers play after on the late game Saturday night.

Edited by guyser

Love em or hate em, people in all the other cities buy tickets when the Leafs come to town.

I feel sorry for them, 44 years since they have been in a Cup final, 10 years since the playoffs....... pathetic.

Oh and here is a headline: every Canadian rink sells out every game against every team. The Leafs being in town makes no difference whatsoever to revenue.

The D has been a strong suit with Smid and Gilbert looking like a legit shutdown pairing and Potter coming out of nowhere. And they're doing it without their best defender and one of their top wingers. Strange, wonderful stuff
It goes beyond strange. Their D should be dreadful when looked at objectively. Not many of them would make another NHL team. Potter is a career AHL guy, and Petry and Peckham belong in the AHL for now -they would not make any other NHL team. Barker is a failed prospect, Gilbert might be #4 on any other team, Smid is a solid shutdown 5/6 guy, and Whitney might be top three on a playoff team. Strange days indeed.

I have to admit I though Smyth was a wate of money and a waste of a top 6 forward spot, but I was wrong. He adds so much to the spirit and style.

I don't think Renney really wants Hemsky back just yet.....

Oh and here is a headline: every Canadian rink sells out every game against every team.

Yeah but those teams barns aren't half filled with Leaf fans who basically drown out the home crowd.

I love it when the leafs are in podunk towns like Calgary and the cheers are as loud when the Leafs score as when those awful Flames do. Or even better, hearing Alfredson getting booed every time he touches the puck in his own rink. Priceless.

The big concern is the brutal special teams. I wince when they take a penalty and don't get too excited when they go on the powerplay.

Still, I wish Rick Nash were a Leaf. :D

Definitely. I still can't understand why after 3 seasons Ron Wilson can't seem to coach a half-decent penalty kill. They've slightly improved, but it's still pretty bad.

When Columbus extended Rick Nash, that really bugged me. He was a top target of Brian Burke's, and I'm pretty sure he would have signed with the Leafs, cause they were gonna pay him.

I feel sorry for them, 44 years since they have been in a Cup final, 10 years since the playoffs....... pathetic.

2003-2004 is not ten yrs ago. Close !

Aw dont feel bad, winning the Stanley Cup , and all sportschampionships (but especially the NHL)is a long hard journey whereby everything has to go your way. Every duck has to fall right, every star has to align. That they havent been there for eons sucks but hey, just ask Phoenix BuffaloVancouverFlorida how bad it is.

Or just ask the Cubs.

Look at Ottawa and where they were a few yrs ago.

it aint easy.

Oh and here is a headline: every Canadian rink sells out every game against every team. The Leafs being in town makes no difference whatsoever to revenue.

CDN yes, but I didnt put any parametre on that.

But other cities enjoy the increase.

Edited by guyser

I think they are a rebuilding team with an outside chance to make the playoffs for the first time in years. Burke is a good GM and theyre definately going in the right direction. But even talking about them being a "cup contender" is silly at this point. They need a second line, and a few more good defensemen first.

I think they are a rebuilding team with an outside chance to make the playoffs for the first time in years. Burke is a good GM and theyre definately going in the right direction. But even talking about them being a "cup contender" is silly at this point. They need a second line, and a few more good defensemen first.

2nd lines been clicking 13 goals, 11 assists in 13 games

thats better than a lot of number 1 lines on some teams

Edited by olp1fan