Forum Facilitators

Greg

Yes, I read that thank you, but a facilitator will also have LIMITED moderation controls (closing threads, issuing abuse reports, etc) and all of their actions will need to be approved by either Charles (Moderator) or myself (Form Admin). )

I was wondering if that applied to personal attacks in the status update area. thanks

I didn't mean any offense in pointing it out sorry Scribblet. That's a good question you asked, I'm sure we'll get an answer soon.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MLF came very highly recommended to me and one of the points in its favor was the variety of views and the quality of the administration and their willingness to allow a topic to be fully explored without over moderating, even when the discussion becomes a bit heated…that’s politics. I have seen nothing here that contradicts the recommendation. From my brief time here, it seems that the conservatives on this forum are a bit thin skinned but possibly that is because of the topics that I am involved with.
I've been here a long time and I think your general view is correct. At times, it seems Right-wingers dominate the place, and then it seems Left-wingers do. Who ever feels to be in minority tends to have a thin skin.

The name-calling and insults also seem to wax and wane. In the past, when things got out of hand, Greg would show up and ban a few people, almost at random.

-----

On a vaguely related topic, I think Greg should disable the Status update feature on the main page. Like the post-voting feature that was eventaully disabled, I think the Status update is an invitation for flame wars.

Edited by August1991

....On a vaguely related topic, I think Greg should disable the Status update feature on the main page. Like the post-voting feature that was eventaully disabled, I think the Status update is an invitation for flame wars.

I agree....it is just another opportunity for mischief. I say...fight it out in a real thread! ;)

I don't really want to get into it here...but the 9/11 mosque thread is more than illuminating.

a troll a stalker and she a bit of a dim bulb IMO...

and a drama queen...what was up with that farewell crap awhile back when she claimed to be leaving the forum for good did she expect everyone would be so upset they'd be begging her to stay? "boohoo, aw please don't leave us boo hoo?...she was trolling for sympathy, she an attention whore...all I was thinking was "don't let the doorknob hit ya on the way out"

Attention Whore-Someone who craves attention and is not above soliciting it via deliberately meaningless or provocative tactics.

Guest American Woman

Let the record show that I defended your behavior on here. Whether or not I care for your style is beside the point.

Exactly. Which makes my wonder why it was brought up. My style here is not at issue. For the record, I've never been so much as warned by either Greg or Charles. If there's a problem with my posts, I leave it to them to deal with.

On a vaguely related topic, I think Greg should disable the Status update feature on the main page. Like the post-voting feature that was eventaully disabled, I think the Status update is an invitation for flame wars.

I agree. That's definitely the direction it seems to have taken in spite of Greg's statement that it's not to be used that way.

Ironic that you're posting this way as you criticize me. And just another example of what I was referring to earlier.

and a drama queen...what was up with that farewell crap awhile back when she claimed to be leaving the forum for good did she expect everyone would be so upset they'd be begging her to stay? "boohoo, aw please don't leave us boo hoo?...she was trolling for sympathy, she an attention whore...all I was thinking was "don't let the doorknob hit ya on the way out"

For the record, and this explanation isn't for your benefit but "for the record," I had every intention of leaving. This board was a pleasure to come to when I signed up for it. There was actual discussion that revolved around, speaking for myself, my actual views. No one was speaking for me, claiming I didn't believe what I don't believe, admonishing me for 'not admitting' what I don't believe accusing me of trolling, bigotry, hating Canada, and on and on it goes.

I had every intention of leaving as I felt it was becoming more a waste of time than a productive use of my time. The personal attacks and inability of posters to address what's said was a source of frustration rather than food for thought. I used to learn a lot from this forum, it gave me a lot to think about, but now half the time I feel as if I'm on a grade school playground.

Evidently I'm not the only one to have felt this way as people contacted me and told me I should just take a break from it for awhile as they, too, have had to do. I did stay away completely for awhile and haven't been a 'regular contributor' since as things haven't changed. This thread, even as it's about posters actually having a level of control over other posters, is a prime example.

Edited by American Woman

I've been here a long time and I think your general view is correct. At times, it seems Right-wingers dominate the place, and then it seems Left-wingers do. Who ever feels to be in minority tends to have a thin skin.

The name-calling and insults also seem to wax and wane. In the past, when things got out of hand, Greg would show up and ban a few people, almost at random.

-----

Thank you for a bit of history that cofirms what I was told; I agree about the status update.

Attention Whore-Someone who craves attention and is not above soliciting it via deliberately meaningless or provocative tactics.

Talking about an individual poster like this is completely uncalled for, unnecessary, against forum rules and not what this thread is about, if you don't like someone, put them on ignore. I have two on ignore, it works. You can always click and read if you really want to.

I agree that the level of discourse on here is sinking, it certainly isn't what it started out to be and I've been here since 2003. Neither do I consider objecting to personal attacks as being 'thin skinned', calling someone a moron, dimbulb, halfwit or STFU etc. etc. should be cause for a warning, or a banning if it's repeated.

Exactly. Which makes my wonder why it was brought up. My style here is not at issue. For the record, I've never been so much as warned by either Greg or Charles. If there's a problem with my posts, I leave it to them to deal with.

Good point. I concur that my opinion was not asked for, and that this thread wasn't the right place to post my stylistic critiques. My apologies.

I nominate Michael Hardner. Michael if you read this I would hope that you would have the time to donate to the forums. You are consistently an even headed fellow which I feel MLW would be lucky to have you as part of their team.

Michael Hardner has an interest and he seems to have good moderate judgement...I nominate him also...would not dare to nominate myself seeing I am an uncontroalable mishchievious type at times..Mike is consistant.

Talking about an individual poster like this is completely uncalled for, unnecessary, against forum rules and not what this thread is about, if you don't like someone, put them on ignore. I have two on ignore, it works. You can always click and read if you really want to.

I agree that the level of discourse on here is sinking, it certainly isn't what it started out to be and I've been here since 2003. Neither do I consider objecting to personal attacks as being 'thin skinned', calling someone a moron, dimbulb, halfwit or STFU etc. etc. should be cause for a warning, or a banning if it's repeated.

I agree it does nothing to foster constructive debate and conversation. Sometimes you'll agree with people pov and sometimes you won't. That doesn't mean any of you is wrong just different. it certainly doesn't give anyone the right to start name calling. Afaik we're all adults on this board sometimes it's hard to tell mind you. I'm sure I'm not alone on this.

This is probably why the mod team decided to expand so the ycan get some more help. To try to keep the integrity of the board.

I have to be amused when people criticize those who occasionally resort to name-calling and using words like moron, dimbulb, halfwit; at least they are not hiding behind clichés or innuendos. Some posters cloak their insults through what they think is subtly but most people see through that approach. The advantages are numerous though, it is not against the rules, the moderators cannot warn or ban for this cleverly disguised method of insulting a poster. Some moderators do wise up to this method especially when these posters are always the one crying wolf. :)

Ahmmm, would anyone care to nominate Oleg as facilitator? :-)

:lol: :lol:

I don't read a lot of Oleg actually so don't know if he tends to use personal attacks or not, thinly veiled or otherwise tries to get underhanded digs in or not ;) who knows maybe he would be okay.

Edited by scribblet

Hold on a second! I didn't get her continual circling back to claims that an Islamic cultural center two city blocks away from WTC was a "ground zero mosque" or that it was somehow sacred and hallowed ground because the Burlington Coat Factory building there got clipped by the wing of one of the planes....it sounded like an argument built on a foundation of emotion rather than logic.....which is exactly what the promulgators of this new theology - like Pamela Geller intended! Those are the people who deserve flames, not people who for, whatever reasons, believe their arguments.

I don't know specifically what is making her so angry now that wasn't here six years ago; I don't pay too close attention to everything that others write, but I thought she was on my left when I started here, and then, especially with stuff like "Ground Zero Mosque", I find her far to the right. But, whatever it's about, I hope that she decides to stay active here considering the time invested so far. For my part, I have to disappear from time to time because I start feeling like the same arguments keep circling back over and over again; and sometimes I need time to think over and re-evaluate my own beliefs.

...I don't know specifically what is making her so angry now that wasn't here six years ago; I don't pay too close attention to everything that others write, but I thought she was on my left when I started here, and then, especially with stuff like "Ground Zero Mosque", I find her far to the right.

...or maybe you have learned that people do not fit neatly into such polarized classifications at all.

I don't know specifically what is making her so angry now that wasn't here six years ago; I don't pay too close attention to everything that others write, but I thought she was on my left when I started here, and then, especially with stuff like "Ground Zero Mosque", I find her far to the right. But, whatever it's about, I hope that she decides to stay active here considering the time invested so far. For my part, I have to disappear from time to time because I start feeling like the same arguments keep circling back over and over again; and sometimes I need time to think over and re-evaluate my own beliefs.

You're experiencing the Patriotic Mirror effect: it's what happens when Americans counter that peculiar flavour of Canadian nationalism that defines itself with anti-Americanism.

Of course, any American - Republican or Democrat - will defend their nation at that point.

m

You're experiencing the Patriotic Mirror effect: it's what happens when Americans counter that peculiar flavour of Canadian nationalism that defines itself with anti-Americanism.

Of course, any American - Republican or Democrat - will defend their nation at that point.

m

Not all Americans, I can introduce you to many who recognize why our country is criticized and, in many cases, we are likely to concur. Not all Americans are of the mind-set that America can do no wrong or the old adage American, love it or leave it or the Bushism, you are either with us or against us.

Is there any other flavor?

Yep...and it's more fun than a bathtub full of otters!

Guest American Woman

...or maybe you have learned that people do not fit neatly into such polarized classifications at all.

Exactly.

Furthermore, I explained everything WIP "doesn't understand" about my position over and over again. Furthermore, my position has nothing to do with "nationalism" as MH is suggesting nor am I an American who thinks the U.S. can do no wrong, Bitsy. It's all a prime example of the frustration and responses not pertaining to what's actually said/thought that I've been referring to.

At any rate, I did want to put my two cents worth in about the actual topic of this thread and the idea of posters having any control over other posters before the topic became inactive and I think this thread itself illustrates my concern(s).

Edited by American Woman

I'd put my vote behind M. Hardner. He has shown more class than I could ever portray.

My votes would be GostHacked, Michael M, Bloodyminded, Black Dog and Scribblett.

I would suggest one of the following: (in no particular order)

American Woman

Kimmy

Michael Hardner

GostHacked

Jbg

Smallc

August

Also, in my opinion, there's no way in hell bloodyminded or Black Dog should be forum facilitators.

I thint that far more than one is needed since most of the above work full-time. I'd be willing to do it with a crew of about ten, and would add Bloodyminded and KeepitSImple to the list, i.e. one form the left, one from the right.