Forum Facilitators

Greg

Several of the names mentioned have themselves indulged in ad hominem postings. Hopefully that's ground for ineligibility. We need facilitators who will be credible at their jobs as facilitators.

I think Michael Hardner, Jack Weber and Jonsa will make great facilitators.

Rue, August, Scribblett, Keepitsimple and Bloodyminded also come to mind.

I would also recommend Jeferiah however I don't think he comes that often anymore.

Thanks for the mention, not sure I could do it or have the time for it now. Certainly none of us are neutral, and anyone who is in the habit of tossing off insults and swearing shouldn't be one IMO, I have a low tolerance for that, and for inappropriate thread titles. ;)

Not that anyone's asking but IMO there should be a facilitator assigned to each area, that way they wouldn't have to read everything, every day and there would be others to take over there area when away....

I would emphatically disagree with J. Dobbin being a facilitator, although I don't think Greg has called for nominations or a vote. :lol:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides Michael I think the only other person I'd like to see get the job would be jdobbin. He's another person who is fair and keeps his cool and has a good dose of integrity. I haven't seen him around in a long time though so I don't know if he still comes here or not.

He doesn't come here anymore, and he was a partisan hack.

He doesn't come here anymore, and he was a partisan hack.

I would think that the politics of a Mod or Facilitator would be unimportant. What would be of major importance would be the persons integrity.

Can they make objective decisions devoid of any particular political leanings?

That should be the most important aspect of any mod or facilitator, integrity.

I didn't say he was politically motivated. I said that he was a partisan hack.

Still politically motivated though, but anyone here is are they not, but I think not so much as JD ;)

BTW, would a facilitator's job include dealing with personal attacks and name calling on the status updates ?

BTW, would a facilitator's job include dealing with personal attacks and name calling on the status updates?

lets get to it - out of the blue, with no relation to any actual thread postings, you've now put up 4 status update messages related to the same subject you now indirectly reference; each status message a direct purposeful taunt... each message speaking to the continuing charade you have played out many times previously within the status message area, where you intentionally conflate weather versus climate. Each of these most recent, now 4, status updates stating, "699 manatee deaths attributed to, global warming". You've presumed to champion the false position that... "someone"... has attributed Florida manatee deaths to, 'global warming'. More precisely, you're derisively played off cold weather events within Florida to champion a false premise, one that hasn't been made by anyone, other than yourself.

we both offered a link reference in our status updates - neither link reference, (yours or mine), attributes the manatee deaths to, 'global warming'... each link reference attributes manatee deaths to stress induced by colder than normal water.

to be precise: you attribute 699 manatee deaths in 2010 to, 'global warming; however, your link does not, repeat... does not... attribute each and every one of those manatee deaths to stress (attributed to cold water). Again, to be precise (something you struggle with), this physorg.com reference quotes 'Florida state officials' advising, "between Jan. 1 and Dec. 17, 246 manatees died from so-called cold stress"... and that during the same time period in 2009, only 55 manatees died from the cold. In 2008, only 22 manatees succumbed to chilly temperatures.

just imagine... apparently, manatees are very cold sensitive! Apparently, in 2010, more manatees succumbed to cold water induced stress as compared to (presumably), more typical, death numbers in 2 previous years. Imagine... weather happens. Imagine, denier types like yourself will attempt to take advantage of the deaths of a very special animal, by purposely twisting reports/commentary and placing intentional taunts and false positions in your status updates. Now, within several past MLW climate change related threads we've had significant discussion concerning increased warming across the contiguous U.S. - the posts and increased temperature trend graphics are simply a MLW search away for you - enjoy!

what's your end game, hey scribbler? Are you that desperate to champion the denier cause? Are you that desperate that you create false premises and issue taunting status update messages? Are you that desperate for a response? Did you get the response you were hoping for? Mission accomplished? Well... since you didn't have the nerve to put your taunt directly into a thread, here's my latest status update:

halfwit weather&climate conflating scribbler alert! Neither link, mine (
) or yours (
), says anything about AGW

and here is your latest (now 4th status update on the same iterative back & forth)... where we now read a telling addition... where, for the first time in your (now) 4 status update messages total, you presume to actually include the words, 'global cooling' and correlate increased manatee deaths with what you now idiotically label as "global cooling". Wow - you really went a long way to actually state it, hey scribbler?

Calling names on status updates is against the rules, 699 manatees killed due to prolonged global warming in Florida LOL whoops sorry - global cooling

... and let's be very precise - you were not, as you state in the above quote I'm replying to, "attacked". Were you called a name... I'm not sure... does the phrase, "halfwit weather&climate conflating scribbler alert", constitute calling you a name? Oh my, you precious thing... oh wait... is that a(nother) name? :lol:

Still politically motivated though, but anyone here is are they not, but I think not so much as JD ;)

BTW, would a facilitator's job include dealing with personal attacks and name calling on the status updates ?

Facilitators are here to guide the conversation. They won't be able to ban or suspend people but instead to work together with the mod team. It's all on the first post of this thread.

A troll is someone who copies and posts massive block quotes that bore the hell out of people for the sake of burying a debate. There is only one member who does that consistently. This person never allows others to read something a form their own opinions.

Edited by lukin

Facilitators are here to guide the conversation. They won't be able to ban or suspend people but instead to work together with the mod team. It's all on the first post of this thread.

Yes, I read that thank you, but a facilitator will also have LIMITED moderation controls (closing threads, issuing abuse reports, etc) and all of their actions will need to be approved by either Charles (Moderator) or myself (Form Admin). )

I was wondering if that applied to personal attacks in the status update area. thanks

Edited by scribblet

A troll is someone who copies and posts massive block quotes that bore the hell out of people for the sake of burying a debate. There is only one member who does that consistently. This person never allows others to read something a form their own opinions.

A troll is someone who posts message they don't actually believe in just to provoke a lot of people to respond. That can be inflammatory material, or it can just be a deliberately obtuse posting designed to draw a response. An example would be, say, someone posting Justin Bieber was the greatest pop star of all time - in a forum for adults. Or someone going into a black oriented group and posting how he thinks Black people are ugly. In MLW it's usually people exaggerating their political views or being deliberately insulting or taunting just to make people upset. Saying derisive things about Canada, for example, while identifying yourself as a non-Canadian...

BTW, would a facilitator's job include dealing with personal attacks and name calling on the status updates?

... and let's be very precise - you were not, as you state in the above quote I'm replying to, "attacked". Were you called a name... I'm not sure... does the phrase, "halfwit weather&climate conflating scribbler alert", constitute calling you a name? Oh my, you precious thing... oh wait... is that a(nother) name? :lol:

I was wondering if that applied to personal attacks in the status update area.

scribbler... do you have any examples of your described status update area attack(s)s... you don't need to be too specific as to repeat said transgression; however, I expect you could reply in a generic manner to ascribe said transgression - hey?

A troll is someone who posts message they don't actually believe in just to provoke a lot of people to respond. That can be inflammatory material, or it can just be a deliberately obtuse posting designed to draw a response. An example would be, say, someone posting Justin Bieber was the greatest pop star of all time - in a forum for adults. Or someone going into a black oriented group and posting how he thinks Black people are ugly. In MLW it's usually people exaggerating their political views or being deliberately insulting or taunting just to make people upset. Saying derisive things about Canada, for example, while identifying yourself as a non-Canadian...

that fits scribblet's updates
"Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" or "Message Board Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Forum Troll delights in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war.

I think I have a pretty good idea of what a troll is, and I have not witnessed that behaviour from AM.

You've obviously never had a debate with her. Maybe troll is the wrong word...but the right word is unbecoming.

You've obviously never had a debate with her. Maybe troll is the wrong word...but the right word is unbecoming.

How so ? I don't understand the reaction to AW that I have seen. I don't like her style in all cases, but from what I have seen she does engage in debate. Sometimes it's more about picking apart the wording of her opponents, but if you don't want to use clear English then post your arguments in emoticons.

Admittedly, I've only been on a few threads with her.

Guest American Woman

I don't really want to get into it here...but the 9/11 mosque thread is more than illuminating.

The 911 mosque thread is very illiminating indeed. But not about me -- about way too many posters who couldn´t accept my point of view and had to make it up for me. Some people just can´t respond to what´s actually said, and instead tell people ´what they really mean.´ Very annoying to say the least.

I believe what I believe and if you can´t handle it, that´s your fault. It doesn´t make me a ¨troll¨ and your insistance that it does speaks of you, not me.

As for MH´s comments, right back at you. Can´t say I always care for your style and-or your past actions. I don´t think I need to elaborate.

As for whether or not people would quit posting here if they didn´t like the choice of facilitators, as scribblet brought up, seems to me this site is moving pretty far away from what I signed up for. Too bad, in my view. But it´s been getting bad for awhile, IMO. The thread about the mosque is the perfect example of name calling, accusations, etc. based on views not even shared by the accused- poster(s) being insulted.

Edited by American Woman

As for MH´s comments, right back at you. Can´t say I always care for your style and-or your past actions. I don´t think I need to elaborate.

Let the record show that I defended your behavior on here. Whether or not I care for your style is beside the point. Picking apart the language of those who debate you is a good method, and it works.

Furthermore you and Bush_Cheney do a good job of turning Canadian biases on their ear. I wouldn't let my guard down around you for a second, and that's a good thing.

----

As for whether or not people would quit posting here if they didn´t like the choice of facilitators, as scribblet brought up, seems to me this site is moving pretty far away from what I signed up for. Too bad, in my view. But it´s been getting bad for awhile, IMO. The thread about the mosque is the perfect example of name calling, accusations, etc. based on views not even shared by the accused- poster(s) being insulted.

Totally agree !!

MLF came very highly recommended to me and one of the points in its favor was the variety of views and the quality of the administration and their willingness to allow a topic to be fully explored without over moderating, even when the discussion becomes a bit heated…that’s politics. I have seen nothing here that contradicts the recommendation. From my brief time here, it seems that the conservatives on this forum are a bit thin skinned but possibly that is because of the topics that I am involved with.