Forum Facilitators

Greg

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a stupid thread. Why don't you all get together and him a big hugfest.

I would hardly call a thread, started by the board owner, informing us of the need for Forum Facilitator and what it entails as a "stupid" thread. But that's just me.

Edited by Mr.Canada

and that's nearly as bad as scotties list...

the point is to choose someone who is neutral/benign not your personal internet love fantasy or someone who shares your political tilt...

No, Wyly, you misunderstand the job. It isn't to be neutral in your political outlook, and it isn't to be extremely knowledgeable about world or political events. What you need is to have a history of posting without insulting people, and even avoiding insulting people. You might disagree with someone like, say, August, but he posts on topic and without trying to be insulting and disrespectful to other posters. I'm not saying anyone on the list I posted hasn't ever insulted anyone, just that they seem to try to avoid it more than others I could think of.

• Forum Admin

I just hope to avoid a repeat of another forum where a mod was chosen from the ranks and then went berserk with power and proceeded to eliminate/ban debate opponents...

That simply cannot happen in this situation.

Remember, a Facilitator is NOT a moderator - they're more of a good-will ambassador. Their role is to guide and encourage forum participants to act and post with respect, not disciplining of participants.

There is a huge difference between these two roles.

That simply cannot happen in this situation.

Remember, a Facilitator is NOT a moderator - they're more of a good-will ambassador. Their role is to guide and encourage forum participants to act and post with respect, not disciplining of participants.

There is a huge difference between these two roles.

Is the plan to transition the facilitator to a moderator role in the future? Using the facilitator role as a stepping stone.

and that's nearly as bad as scotties list...

the point is to choose someone who is neutral/benign not your personal internet love fantasy or someone who shares your political tilt...

Well, certainly not a 'love fantasy' - see that's where you guys go so far over the top you lose credibility.

I disagree about bloodyminded, too many insults and biases, I don't see Hardner as unbiased either - is there anyone one here who could really be objective and set an example to other posters, because moderators of any type, should set an example - in good behaviour that is.

Actually, what about Rue....

Well, certainly not a 'love fantasy' - see that's where you guys go so far over the top you lose credibility.

I disagree about bloodyminded, too many insults and biases, I don't see Hardner as unbiased either - is there anyone one here who could really be objective and set an example to other posters, because moderators of any type, should set an example - in good behaviour that is.

I've seen more than a few here acting foolish with kimmy but not with other fems of the forum like betsy or AW...

I haven't seen bloody-m's insults but I haven't been targeted so you could be right...

I'd be okay with Michael or smallc, I've had minor altercations with both but over the time I've been on the forum they've behaved well overall...kimmys ok but isn't around very much being a young puppy she must have a real life to live...

How about me, I try to be unbiased and a-political. I do not even vote. I hate them all equally.

So, think that I would be a good candidate, to help clean up this one-horse town.

By the way, at what is the rate of compensation?

• Forum Admin

Is the plan to transition the facilitator to a moderator role in the future? Using the facilitator role as a stepping stone.

It's always an option, but it's not a prerequisite to becoming a moderator.

Remember, a facilitator can participate in the day to day discussions, moderators can not. A facilitator's formal role is just to encourage reasonable debate; both through leading example and by publicly encouraging participants to keep on topic and to treat each other with respect.

Facilitators are there to help facilitate reasonable and respectful discussions.

Yeah, and sometimes bloody insults people. Mind you, it's pretty much always because they deserved it.

While I'm inclined to agree (:)), I don't really consider it useful forum behaviour. I think it's a weakness. Mea culpa.

Anyway, even if I were as restrained on this point as Michael Hardner...like Wyly says, I'm always away from here for a week or so at a time.

It's always an option, but it's not a prerequisite to becoming a moderator.

Remember, a facilitator can participate in the day to day discussions, moderators can not. A facilitator's formal role is just to encourage reasonable debate; both through leading example and by publicly encouraging participants to keep on topic and to treat each other with respect.

Facilitators are there to help facilitate reasonable and respectful discussions.

I would actually suspect that the mods would have other "clean" accounts that they would post in the discussions with. Just blend in like a normal member so they can post. Like a shadow account. Of coarse I don't expect you to confirm or deny this, it's just a hunch I have from time to time.

As it may get boring to just watch the discussion without becoming part of it.

The facilitator is a good idea in that respect though so they can sort of keep order because let's face it you two guys are just that... two and cannot be on all the time and see everything in real time. Whereas the facilitator position gives you some flexibility and another set of eyes.

Good idea about having another account, it would be best for the facilitator to at least be perceived as being neutral.

I don't read all the posts on here so if facilitating means having to read all that blather and nonsense - hmmmm :lol: :lol:

Let's be frank - Hardner has been angling for this job since he got here with his Mr. Nice Guy act and his damned reasonableness and facilitatory behaviour and stuff. However, he's been known to take a shot or two.

If we are looking for a ringer we don't have one. But Hardner is the best of the lot for what the job entails - he has a measure of self restraint on most occasions. (Honourable mention to GhostHacked)

As for the rest, well the place would quickly becoming BORING if we had to put the restraints on BM, Kimmy and TB et al.

Let's be frank - Hardner has been angling for this job since he got here with his Mr. Nice Guy act and his damned reasonableness and facilitatory behaviour and stuff. However, he's been known to take a shot or two.

If we are looking for a ringer we don't have one. But Hardner is the best of the lot for what the job entails - he has a measure of self restraint on most occasions. (Honourable mention to GhostHacked)

As for the rest, well the place would quickly becoming BORING if we had to put the restraints on BM, Kimmy and TB et al.

:lol:

Several of the names mentioned have themselves indulged in ad hominem postings. Hopefully that's ground for ineligibility. We need facilitators who will be credible at their jobs as facilitators.

I think Michael Hardner, Jack Weber and Jonsa will make great facilitators.

Rue, August, Scribblett, Keepitsimple and Bloodyminded also come to mind.

I would also recommend Jeferiah however I don't think he comes that often anymore.

Edited by betsy

I nominate Michael Hardner. Michael if you read this I would hope that you would have the time to donate to the forums. You are consistently an even headed fellow which I feel MLW would be lucky to have you as part of their team.

This is the smartest thing you have ever posted!

I don't think there could be a better choice for the position than Michael Hardner, if he's willing to take it on.

-k