Atlanta Thrashers coming to Winnipeg?

Again. Nothing has changed except the cost of operating a team.

And the arena. And the population of Winnipeg. And the population of the Manitoba. And the Manitoba economy. But, you know, that's about it.

Let's see how things are going in a few years when the salary cap is $80 million and rising, two tickets to watch a meaningless Nashville vs Jets snoozefest in February are $300, and a plastic cup of flat Molsons is $12.

Winnipeg will struggle again to support an NHL team because their market is too small and the economy too weak. Again. Nothing has changed except the cost of operating a team.

Except the dollar. And the local economic outlook. And fan enthusiasm for the product. Other than that, though, it's exactly the same as 1991. :lol:

Edited by Black Dog

Let's see how things are going in a few years when the salary cap is $80 million and rising, two tickets to watch a meaningless Nashville vs Jets snoozefest in February are $300, and a plastic cup of flat Molsons is $12.

Winnipeg will struggle again to support an NHL team because their market is too small and the economy too weak. Again. Nothing has changed except the cost of operating a team.

Still waiting for you to say that you were wrong.

CTV has said that the team will be called the Jets :) never said whether it will be Winnipeg or Manitoba. Official announcement at the draft today.

Let's not get too euphoric just yet. You guys remind me of a couple that gets married, completely in love, and then is divorced a few years later. Let's see how attendance is when the Jets aren't the new toy in town, and in last place at some point.

Let's see how attendance is when the Jets aren't the new toy in town, and in last place at some point.

They locked in the season ticket holders for between three and five years. Almost 20,000 more signed up for the season tickets waiting list in the first two hours, but they refunded 12,000 of them and capped it at 8,000 because they figured charging $100 a year to someone who is number 17,000 on the list would be unfair.

It's going to be sold out for years and years to come.

Hockey is very popular in Canada these days. Quebec is next. Southern Ontario could probably support two more teams (Hamilton and Barrie?).

I was worried that there would be insufficient support and they would be coming to the government for money to cover their losses, but I'm not worried anymore.

I was worried that there would be insufficient support and they would be coming to the government for money to cover their losses, but I'm not worried anymore.

For the Winnipegers, it is a raison d'etre.

I just want to know if that little girl who donated her coin jar to try and stop the Jets from leaving in the first place, gets her money back? or at least a season ticket

Let's not get too euphoric just yet. You guys remind me of a couple that gets married, completely in love, and then is divorced a few years later. Let's see how attendance is when the Jets aren't the new toy in town, and in last place at some point.

I think you can almost guarantee the Jets at their worst will draw better than the Thrashers, Florida, Columbus, or (lol) Phoenix at their best.

• 6 months later...

She's allowed her opinion, and it's not all that far-fetched. The new jet on their was not designed just as a random jet...

It is an F-18

It is on a background very similar to the RCAF roundel.

Why was it designed this way? Probably to tap in to some sort of pride felt by people for the military. The logo designers want to cash in on this...

Is it a military conspiracy? No, I don't believe so. But some think it is another sign of Canada's increased militarism. And they are probably correct... and they are also allowed to be concerned with this shift in attitude.

She's allowed her opinion, and it's not all that far-fetched. The new jet on their was not designed just as a random jet...

It is an F-18

It is on a background very similar to the RCAF roundel.

Why was it designed this way? Probably to tap in to some sort of pride felt by people for the military. The logo designers want to cash in on this...

Is it a military conspiracy? No, I don't believe so. But some think it is another sign of Canada's increased militarism. And they are probably correct... and they are also allowed to be concerned with this shift in attitude.

She is an irrelevant twit/kook so I guess she at least has something in common with you, squid.

• Haha 1

Such a blatant insult. Why bother ? It doesn't do anything other than litter the forum.

I guess lukin doesn't actually want to discuss the topic.... not sure what is up with the ridiculous name-calling.

• 7 years later...
On 6/22/2011 at 12:28 PM, fellowtraveller said:

The salary cap is $81.5 million and rising. The Jets have turned a profit every single year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/19/2020 at 12:02 AM, CampMassad said:

I hope COVID 19 does not affect the Jets long term viability.

It looks like, for at least this season with the border closed, The NHL will just have a Canadian division. 

There'll be no fans in Canada. I suspect they'll Bubble up here again. 

Revenues will definitely take a hit but that has to be reflected in all team's CBAs. 

18 minutes ago, Boges said:

It looks like, for at least this season with the border closed, The NHL will just have a Canadian division. 

Revenues will definitely take a hit but that has to be reflected in all team's CBAs. 

@Boges is it true about the Trashers coming though ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2020 at 9:23 AM, Boges said:

I don't think there will be any bubble.