Atlanta Thrashers coming to Winnipeg?

OK, here’s the rumour: Wealthy David Thomson of Toronto, the man who most of the shares of the MTS Centre and True North Sports and Entertainment in Winnipeg, has purchased the Atlanta Thrashers of the National Hockey League and will move them to Winnipeg for the 2010-11 season. The Moose will move to Saskatoon. The announcement will be made right after the Olympics. Believe whatever it is you want to believe.

http://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/scott-taylor/

I hope it's true, but far too many times have rumors of a team coming to Winnipeg been wrong.

Edited by maple_leafs182

It's hard to believe that the sale of an NHL team could happen just like that. This rumour says that the sale has already happened. On the other hand, though, there have been rumours in the mainstream press that a handful of southern US teams are hurting. The NHL can't buy all of them. If there's money in Canada to make hockey work, then eventually those teams will have to come back.

Maybe one day Winnipeg will be as nice and clean as saskatoon, and winnipeggers will one day be as classy as Saskatoon people, one day however...

pffft, Saskatoon. Maybe one day, Saskatoon will be a vibrant, diverse city of .75M people. Now, if you would have said Ottawa, Calgary (in some ways), Vancouver, or Toronto....that would be something to work towards.

Winnipeg has beautiful clean parts, just like any other city.

http://www.oc.edu/academics/arts_sciences/music/images/winnipeg.jpg

http://www.labelscar.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/winnipeg-01.jpg

http://www.pu.if.ua/depart/noc/ph/ieee-winnipeg-1.jpg

Edited by Smallc

• 2 weeks later...

Winnipeg won't get a team because it is becoming ever more obvious that the NHL needs to contract, not extablish more teams in more cities that cannot support them.

There is not enough money in Winnipeg to have an NHL team, period.

Last night I went to the Oilers Game(an excellent one too for a change, a friend gave me his ciorpoarte tickets.

They were $235 each, with parking and drink/burger call it $500 for the pair. One game. Season ticket cost, over $20k for the year excluding preseason and playoffs.

I don't believe many people/vbusinesses in Winnipeg could sustain that year after year.

I hate society, fuck the economy. Hockey should be played where hockey matters.

I hate how money rules the world. Slaves to our own creation.

Winnipeg is number 1 or 2 in the AHL for ticket sales, I'm pretty sure we would do better then cities like Phoenix and Atlanta where they practically give tickets away for free.

Winnipeg probably doesn't have enough corporate support but I really don't know. I still think we are next in line to get a team. We are an untapped market as far as the NHL is concerned.

I'm not sure how it works with shared revenue and all that stuff with the NHL.

I don't believe many people/vbusinesses in Winnipeg could sustain that year after year.

The city is bigger and richer than last time we had a team. We have more head offices than Edmonton and the number of head offices is growing. There is a waiting list in the hundreds for MTS centre boxes even now, so more are being added. Other than the fact that it's about 1.5 times larger, it's not like Edmonton is in a much better position. The average NHL ticket price is much lower than $235.

Edited by Smallc

The city is bigger and richer than last time we had a team. We have more head offices than Edmonton and the number of head offices is growing. There is a waiting list in the hundreds for MTS centre boxes even now, so more are being added. Other than the fact that it's about 1.5 times larger, it's not like Edmonton is in a much better position. The average NHL ticket price is much lower than $235.

If your economy is in such good shape, why does Manitoba collect monstrous equalization payment year after year after year after decade?

And have you noticed that not only is Winnipeg richer, the salaries have roughly quadrupled since you last had a team you cannot support?

The NHl must also wonder at the commitment of a city that wants a NHL team so badly that they built a big new arena that is too small for an NHL team.

The NHL won't be back, you better get used to it.

If your economy is in such good shape, why does Manitoba collect monstrous equalization payment year after year after year after decade?

Economics don't have that much to do with it as I've demonstrated. Manitoba has a per capita GDP 5K more than that of Quebec, yet collects more equalization per capita. Our per capita GDP is only about 3K less than both BC and Alberta. Not to mention that equalization makes up 13% less of Manitoba's government revenue than it did a decade ago (many people cite a 40% figure, but it is now at 27%). Our economy is more than $10B larger than it was a just a few years ago. Our growth has outpaced the country for the last few years in terms of economics, and our population is growing at its fastest rate since the beginning of modern population records. This isn't the Manitoba and Winnipeg of 10 years ago.

And have you noticed that not only is Winnipeg richer, the salaries have roughly quadrupled since you last had a team you cannot support?

Yes, but eventually, that's going to become more of a problem for the NHL than for Winnipeg. It is unsustainable.

The NHl must also wonder at the commitment of a city that wants a NHL team so badly that they built a big new arena that is too small for an NHL team.

Actually the arena isn't too small.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/mts-centre-has-nhl-capacity-78501967.html?viewAllComments=y

It would be the smallest in the league, but there are no bad seats in MTS Centre, whereas there are in other arenas. What we are missing is 3000 cheap seats, which isn't necessarily that bad of a thing. With the added luxury boxes, the MTS centre would have no problem getting the revenue. It is after all, outside of hockey, the third busies and one of them most profitable arenas in Canada. It is the 19th busiest entertainment venue on earth.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/mts_centre_19th-busiest_showbiz_venue_in_world38266214.html

Of course, there are many reasons for that, as the article points out, but it does bode well for Winnipeg going forward. The next place in Canada to get a team will either be Quebec City or Winnipeg. There's almost no question of that.

Edited by Smallc

I don't think that will happen for a while.

My link

The NHL is gaining attendance, while the NBA is losing. Interesting to note, the NHL fills its rinks to higher levels of percentage of capacity

My link

Then we have the ratings for the US-Canada Gold medal hockey game. 27.6 million viewers watched the hockey game.

To put the numbers in perspective, Sunday's game drew a higher overnight rating than every World Series game since 2004 (including every game of Yankees/Phillies last year), every NBA Finals telecast since 1998, and every NCAA Men's Basketball Final Four game since at least '98.

Excluding the NFL, the 17.6 overnight for the game is the second-highest of the year for any sporting event, behind only the Texas/Alabama BCS National Championship Game in January (18.2).

My link

My link

My link

18.8 Canadian viewers and 27.6 million American viewers. Wow!

Looks like Bettman's USA experiment is going to continue.

Edited by blueblood

With the added luxury boxes, the MTS centre would have no problem getting the revenue.

I admire you eagerness to fantasize about getting another NHl franchise, after blowing the last one.

But it is not going to happen.

Example: "Economics don't have that much to do with it as I've demonstrated" Money is everything. If you want a vibrant economy in the future, Saskatoon would be a better pick than Winnipeg, but it ain't gonna happen there either.

Actually the arena isn't too small.

Yes, it is, you're about 3000 seats, many luxury boxes, tons of ancillary revenue short of making it.

Remember, $8K to $20K+ per year for a pair of season tickets, year after year after year win lose draw good or bad economy you must sellout the building at premium prices.

The next place in Canada to get a team will either be Quebec City or Winnipeg
You are wrong, Winnipeg is last in the group of three, dead last. The first will be southern Ontario, there is a onetime fatso payoff there for the league, they can get a franchise fee of at least $200 million or more there. Think Winnipeg can pony that up? Think anybody can e3xcept Hamilton and area? The NHL won't pass that payday by, why would they allow anybody to relocate to anywhere for free before cashing in on that one time only gravy train?

Good luck with your dream, but let us get real.

If you want a vibrant economy in the future, Saskatoon would be a better pick than Winnipeg, but it ain't gonna happen there either.

On some planet maybe. Winnipeg has more than 3 times as many people as Saskatoon. Winnipeg also has a much larger corporate culture, and a similar level of population and economic growth. Winnipeg also has several large scale projecst underway that will draw a large number of people and businesses to this city.

Yes, it is, you're about 3000 seats, many luxury boxes, tons of ancillary revenue short of making it.

The luxury boxes will not be a problem very soon.

Remember, $8K to $20K+ per year for a pair of season tickets, year after year after year win lose draw good or bad economy you must sellout the building at premium prices.

And there's no proof that Winnipeg could not now do that. The MTS centre is sold out regularly for non hockey events.

You are wrong, Winnipeg is last in the group of three, dead last. The first will be southern Ontario, there is a onetime fatso payoff there for the league, they can get a franchise fee of at least $200 million or more there. Think Winnipeg can pony that up?

Well, let me put it this way. The MTS Centre is partly owned by the Thompson Family, and the Richardson Family is said to have a keen interest in team moving here. That's a lot of economic capital.

Think anybody can e3xcept Hamilton and area? The NHL won't pass that payday by, why would they allow anybody to relocate to anywhere for free before cashing in on that one time only gravy train?

The NHL said Winnipeg first if anyone at all. I suppose though, you know far more about the situation than they do.

Good luck with your dream, but let us get real.

I don't have a dream. Outside of olympic hockey, you couldn't pay me to watch. I don't like people short changing my city or province based on some 10 year old ideas.

You are wrong, Winnipeg is last in the group of three, dead last. The first will be southern Ontario, there is a onetime fatso payoff there for the league, they can get a franchise fee of at least $200 million or more there. Think Winnipeg can pony that up?

The NHL doesn't want another team in Southern Ontario. There are many teams already in that region.

Putting a Team their would just draw fans away from the other teams like Buffalo.

Winnipeg on the other hand is an untapped market.

These are new fans.

Not many people drive out to Edmonton or Minnesota to watch hockey games.

According to The Canadian Press news agency, Bettman allegedly told Scudder that Hamilton's Copps Coliseum isn't an ideal destination because it's over 30 years old, saying "if the team did return to Canada, it would be Winnipeg," according to the filed document.

The statement went on to say the only way Bettman would allow a second NHL team in southern Ontario was through expansion.

Source CBC

I hate society, fuck the economy. Hockey should be played where hockey matters.

I hate how money rules the world. Slaves to our own creation.

Why are you against unionized workers recieving their fair-share of the NHL revenue pie?