Atlanta Thrashers coming to Winnipeg?

The NHL doesn't want another team in Southern Ontario.

What the NHL owners want - and remember that the NHL is not empty promises from Gary Bettman, it is an assembly of businessment with profit on their minds- is money, more money.

Where in the world can they get a $200-$300 million expansion fee?. Not Winnipeg, not Quebec, nowhere except Southern Ontario, which is the only underserved NHL market in North America,

Why on earth would the NHL agree to transfer a failing team into another marginal market and nobody gets any cash? That is why Balsillie failed, twice: he could pick up a team for relatively cheap, transfer the frqanchise for free into a real market, and avoid an expansion fee altogether, and not just a normal fee.

The next Canadian team will be in Southern Ontario, and it will come when somebody ponies up the big bucks.

Winnipeg has more than 3 times as many people as Saskatoon.

so what?

The economy in Saskatoon is vibrant, varied and more likely to make money for investors.

What the NHL owners want - and remember that the NHL is not empty promises from Gary Bettman, it is an assembly of businessment with profit on their minds- is money, more money.

Where in the world can they get a $200-$300 million expansion fee?. Not Winnipeg, not Quebec, nowhere except Southern Ontario, which is the only underserved NHL market in North America,

Why on earth would the NHL agree to transfer a failing team into another marginal market and nobody gets any cash? That is why Balsillie failed, twice: he could pick up a team for relatively cheap, transfer the frqanchise for free into a real market, and avoid an expansion fee altogether, and not just a normal fee.

The next Canadian team will be in Southern Ontario, and it will come when somebody ponies up the big bucks.

They won't put a team in Southern Ontario for a while, Winnipeg is ahead of Southern Ontario.

Hamilton wouldn't be new fans, it would just be stealing fans from other teams. That is why they don't want a team their.

Why do you think Phoenix isn't in Hamilton right now.

The NHL want to expand into NEW MARKETS such as Winnipeg, they want new revenue. Your right, it's all about money.

so what?

The economy in Saskatoon is vibrant, varied and more likely to make money for investors.

As is Winnipeg's. Manitoba's growth will be slower this year, at the same rate as Alberta's but it should pick up after that. We have been at or near the top in economic growth for several years.

From 2007 and 2008:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2008/01/21/wpg-economy.html

2009:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/city-shone-in-recessionary-09-world-82876617.html

And from last month for this year:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/winnipeg-economy-ranked-8-out-of-25-78300722.html

Edited by Smallc

They won't put a team in Southern Ontario for a while, Winnipeg is ahead of Southern Ontario

The you can name the person who has offered to pay a monster expansion fee to start a new team in Winnipeg.

You are not getting a transfer team. If you were, you'd have had your choice of at least six already.

Why do you think Phoenix isn't in Hamilton right now.

I already explained that, see above. The question you should ask yourself is why isn't Phoenix anywhere other than Phoenix? Answer: there is nowhere left to go, except Southern Ontario which can very, very easily take an expansion team with somebody willing to pay big dollars that go straight into owners pockets. Same for all the other failed franchises littering the map of America. By the way, the revenue from expansion ios not part of the CBA, they get to keep the cash.
The NHL want to expand into NEW MARKETS such as Winnipeg, they want new revenue
The last thing they need is another team on life support, they have way too many of those already. You are also a small and failed market, not a new market. Their only possible course of new revenue is from expansion teams.
As is Winnipeg's
I wish you the very best of luck with getting an NHL team back in Winnipeg. But.... if you put down money on season tickets, make sure it is held in trust by somebody reputable.

The you can name the person who has offered to pay a monster expansion fee to start a new team in Winnipeg.

Wouldn't be an expansion team.

And if anyone was to buy and bring a team to Winipeg it would be David Thomson who is 24th richest man in the world and is part owner of the MTS center.

The last thing they need is another team on life support, they have way too many of those already. You are also a small and failed market, not a new market. Their only possible course of new revenue is from expansion teams.

What make you say a team would fail here.

Minnesota is on their second team and they are doing well.

This isn't 1996 anymore, its 2010, Winnipeg doesn't have the same economy as back then.

I wish you the very best of luck with getting an NHL team back in Winnipeg. But.... if you put down money on season tickets, make sure it is held in trust by somebody reputable.

I'm not saying we are getting a team anytime soon, but we will get a team before Hamilton.

Wouldn't be an expansion team.

It won't be a transfer either.

Minnesota is on their second team and they are doing well.

and the Twin Cities are twice the size of winnipeg,a hotbed of hockey in USA, and they still failed once.
it would be David Thomson who is 24th richest man in the world and is part owner of the MTS center.

he is rich , not stupid. And... it is not his decsion to just get to transfer a teram if and when he pleases. Ask Jim Balsillie about this reality.

The rumours are fast and furious though. As I have it now, the Thrashers deal didn't happen, but there still might be a Coyotes deal in the works involving Chipman, Thomson and the Richardson family. I've also heard the Islanders are building a new arena and are looking for a place to play for two years, but that one seems far-fetched.

Someone also told me the Manitoba Moose have suspended season ticket sales for next year. They do seem to have removed the ability to buy them directly from the website.

I'll believe it when I see it, but it's clear that some people are so consumed with their hatred of transfer payments, they will willingly blind themselves to reality. :)

The rumours are fast and furious though. As I have it now, the Thrashers deal didn't happen, but there still might be a Coyotes deal in the works involving Chipman, Thomson and the Richardson family. I've also heard the Islanders are building a new arena and are looking for a place to play for two years, but that one seems far-fetched.

Someone also told me the Manitoba Moose have suspended season ticket sales for next year. They do seem to have removed the ability to buy them directly from the website.

I'll believe it when I see it, but it's clear that some people are so consumed with their hatred of transfer payments, they will willingly blind themselves to reality. :)

The Richardson family has dumped over 100 million dollars with their adventure in Saskatchewan crushing canola. They wouldn't be big players if they even were in on that deal. Don't expect the coyotes to move after a long period of time after that kerfuffle in the desert. The NHL board of governors has clearly stated they are not done with phoenix yet.

The Moose are unrelated to any NHL deal, they are not even affiliated with the Coyotes.

Islanders are not going anywhere, they have been for sale for years and no buyers. The NHL won't let them move either.

The Coyotes are certainly for sale, but sale and relocation are two completely different things. The NHL will aprrove a sale, they won't approve a transfer to Winnipeg.

The Moose are unrelated to any NHL deal, they are not even affiliated with the Coyotes.

Don't be ridiculous. If Wpg gets an NHL team, the Moose are gone. If it's true they've suspended season ticket sales (and I couldn't care less enough to investigate further--sorry), that would be a sure sign something is up.

Islanders are not going anywhere, they have been for sale for years and no buyers. The NHL won't let them move either.

I didn't say they were leaving. The story is that they need to build a new arena, sufficient land is tough to assemble in New York, so they're rebuilding on the existing site. Therefore, they need a place to play during construction. It would seem to me, though, that there's gotta be an unused arena closer to their fans. Maybe not.

Don't be ridiculous. If Wpg gets an NHL team, the Moose are gone. If it's true they've suspended season ticket sales (and I couldn't care less enough to investigate further--sorry), that would be a sure sign something is up.

I didn't say they were leaving. The story is that they need to build a new arena, sufficient land is tough to assemble in New York, so they're rebuilding on the existing site. Therefore, they need a place to play during construction. It would seem to me, though, that there's gotta be an unused arena closer to their fans. Maybe not.

The only ridiculous sytatement is your wee qualifier is the "If Wpg gets an NHL team, the Moose are gone".

If pigs could fly.... you are the one wanting to link the Moose with the Coyotes or the NHL. There is no connection, and Winnipeg is not getting an NHL team either.

Yes, it would be perfectly and completely logical to base your NHL team for two years 2,000 miles from your fan base.

Uh...I'm the one who said the Islander rumour was illogical first. I also agree that Winnipeg isn't getting an NHL team soon, and I hope I'm right because I can't stand the NHL.

But if it did happen, the Moose would be gone. That's because the only person in negotiations with the NHL who could possibly bring an NHL team to Winnipeg is the owner of the Moose. That's how it's related---not in my mind, that's in reality.

• 1 month later...

Continued damn. Oh well. At least I don't live in Glendale, where there appears to be no one left interested in buying the team but the city council is voting today whether to cover the $20M+ losses for next season to keep the Coyotes. They seem to be between a rock and a hard place, but (as I like cliches) I don't see why they would throw good money after bad.

That appears to leave Thomson and Winnipeg and the undersize MTS Centre as the only option. The NHL has already prepared a schedule that includes Winnipeg.

The only question is how much government money will be spent to bring the Jets back. They say there won't be any, but the corporate welfarists always find a way to the trough.

Edited by BubberMiley

I still hope me and fellowtraveller are right, but unfortunately I think he's always wrong.

ha ha fellowtraveller, looks like Phoenix might be coming to Winnipeg, you still gonna say Winnipeg won't be getting a transfer team.

I told you the NHL isn't looking at Southern Ontario to put another team.

It isn't stupid to bring a team to Winnipeg, we are new fans that the NHL needs.

You guys need a little time to apologize, edit your posts and/or pry your feet out of your mouths?

Glendale Arizona city council has agreed unanimously to pay any losses the NHL might incur owning the Coyotes, up to $25 million. That means they stay.

I'll explain why if you ask nicely.

In the meantime, renew those Moose season tickets.

told you the NHL isn't looking at Southern Ontario to put another team.

You are dead wrong about that, they will eventually seek a NEW franchise there, somebody will pay the NHL between $200 and $300 million for a NEWS franchise. That is why the NHL won't allow any TRANSFER to SW Ontario, they would then forego a monster chunk of cash. It is also why they rejected Balsillie twice, he wasn't going to pay $200 million for a failed team, then also pay $200 million in transer fees. Edited by fellowtraveller

Glendale Arizona city council has agreed unanimously to pay any losses the NHL might incur owning the Coyotes, up to $25 million. That means they stay.

I'll explain why if you ask nicely.

Well, considering your expansive knowledge of the situation didn't even include Thomson's existence, I'm asking you very, very nicely to explain why they will stay.

I'm just thanking my lucky stars that they are staying (for now) in Glendale. I was disgusted by the whole scene in 1996 of little kids being encouraged to empty their piggy banks to keep the Jets. And I hate how big-league sports hold communities hostage for millions of dollars.

Edited by BubberMiley

well that isn't very smart of Glendale.

In the midsts of a recession spend $25 million dollars to keep a failing team that most people don't care about in the city.

Once this recession kicks into full gear and America forgoes a currency crisis I'm sure nobody will be spending money on hockey in phoenix and the team will come to Winnipeg.

You guys need a little time to apologize, edit your posts and/or pry your feet out of your mouths?

I don't need to apologize, I haven't been proven wrong, Winnipeg looks like it is the next city in line to get a team.

I don't need to apologize, I haven't been proven wrong, Winnipeg looks like it is the next city in line to get a team.

Cut him some slack. He's just embarrassed that he didn't know Thomson and Chipman are prospective owners, and that he based his whole argument on that lack of knowledge.