Canada in a nut shell

3 hours ago, Black Dog said:

Bill Maher is a classic liberal in the sense that promoting fascism is a classic liberal move.

Really? Within the U.S. political spectrum I would have to believe a classical liberal like Mahar would fall smack dab in the center along with the self acclaimed moderates. A capitalist, anti-woke, pot smoking, free speech advocate, who votes democrat. What's not to like? He says things that have to be said. I'm a fan.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Black Dog said:

Bill Maher is a classic liberal in the sense that promoting fascism is a classic liberal move.

Well looking around the globe, we continue to see governments change form the left to right or in some case extreme right..just look at whats going to happen here in Canada, change is coming and most that are on the left are not going to like it...shit even some that say they are on the right are not going to like it...but then again change is never liked...

3 hours ago, herbie said:

It is funny because people who think it's relevant forget the problems don't exist where the live and don't know misinformation like quoting air quality from a record forest fire year.
So handy to diss waiting times when many can't afford to go to a doctor,

Bill Maher's an ass, a fake liberal who does not do anything but belittle other liberals and repeat the corn-servative yap about wokeism being the real issue. It's what he's built his whole career on, made easier now that they've reduced Politically Incorrect to one syllable for the ubnwashed masses to gag on.

And you can laugh at his immigration whine when Canada, a country bigger than his with 1/10th the people and intentionally trying to grow its population is 'so much worse'.

How could it be misinformation, is it true or not did those cities have worse air quality or not...And not sure about your province but here in NB we have 4 people die in the waiting room in the last 2 years...No red flags there...our entire health care system is on life support and you still think it compares to any others that pay for health care...

Or maybe his words hit to close to home, nobody likes criticism especially the left,or canadians and to suggest wokism does not exist in this country suggest your not aware of what is going on nationally or even in your own province...Why would anyone defend this government when it has actually broken everything it touched...with exception of pot, is was broken but is only half broken now...

Growing our population has been a huge failure...in every sense...This is nothing to brag about it just further illustrates just how incompetent this government really is...The fact that your still standing behind them with your support is telling...

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

He seems a little like an unoriginal populist entrepreneur or something at the moment - exploiting an easy mark for lack of anything else to say about the tone of the times. It'll be interesting to see him in action when the world shifts even harder towards an over-reactionary right wing that many on the right themselves might care for. As a lefty I'm a little nonplussed with the tone of the times too. There are a lot more important issues I think the left should be attempting to address. I look forward to seeing the reaction of people to his material in the future. But I'm pretty sure what he'll have to work with will probably be about issues that are also really neither here nor there in the schemes of more important things going on.

Maher is sort of the George Carlin of today, but not as charming.

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

He's a smug nothing.  A pretend intellectual in a world where we elevate dolts.

No intellectual should just echo back common ideas.  That's intellectual vanity and if we were a mature society it would die on the vine.

Yes common ideas are bad to a modern society, it sounded like criticism to me, something you are having issues with. I mean come on Michael if we were a mature society we would not be on these forums,  ...I think it is good to reflect on criticism , if only to see where we can evolve...In Canada we need to reflect on almost everything, 

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

How could it be misinformation, is it true or not did those cities have worse air quality or not

When it's intentionally deceptive and ignores all context, it's misinformation. 

Some of the stuff he said was complete bullshit.  Talking about our air quality going down without offering that we were dealing with catastrophic forest fires is brazenly dishonest.  Quoting our higher unemployment numbers as evidence of our downward trajectory is the same, considering it's never been lower in our lifetimes.  

Those are some examples of why nobody takes Bill Maher seriously as a general rule, but that doesn't mean everything he said was bullshit.  Canada's doing worse and getting worse.  Housing prices, health care, GDP etc are all in bad shape and getting worse.  

6 hours ago, I am Groot said:

A country bigger than his in geography but not in useful land.

Oh yo would venture 101 miles from the US border if you could be a farmer? One of the Torontoads that thinks anyrhing north of the Niagra peninsula is a wasteland of igloos, a Vancouverite where everywhere else is Beyond Hope?

Like of ALL my extended family and friends, my cousin ventured all the way to Kamloops to live. Zero even visited Prince George.
Whereas the Albertan side is spread from Hinton to Lethbridge, Westaskawin to the Crowsnest. And none are farmers.

We gotta rewrite the refugee & residence requirements to force 3-5 years at least 160km from major ciiies.

3 hours ago, Army Guy said:

How could it be misinformation

I just pointed out two exact examples, not to mention forest fires or that Canada was attracting new arrivals intentionally.
If you leave reasons out when you're making a negative point, even if it's meant as sarcasm or satire, if half you're audience doesn't know them - it's misinformation.
And as a Canadian whose supposed to know those facts, taking Maher's points a truths leaves you  in that half of the audience.

17 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

He's a smug nothing.  A pretend intellectual in a world where we elevate dolts.

No intellectual should just echo back common ideas.  That's intellectual vanity and if we were a mature society it would die on the vine.

Get off your high f'n horse. Your cucked ilk poses the greatest threat to Western civilization. Suicidal empathy masquerading as a virtue, leading us all to barbarism.

Edited by CDN1

Maher's comments were quite accurate.  Canada leans toward being woke.  But worse than that it must be described as a heathen country.  It is on a downward projectory.  I offer just a couple proofs.

1.   Assisted suicide.

2.  Abortion on demand.

3.  Officially legalized same-sex marriage approved and condoned by most MPs and society in general.

4 minutes ago, blackbird said:

1. Maher's comments were quite accurate. 

2. ...  it must be described as a heathen country.  

1. They are opinions...  Accuracy isn't relevant, unless you are saying it's accurate that he holds these opinions.
2. He would probably choke with laughter at that one.

33 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. They are opinions...  Accuracy isn't relevant, unless you are saying it's accurate that he holds these opinions.
2. He would probably choke with laughter at that one.

Funny you want to try to dissect his comments when in fact he is a late night entertainer.  This is meant to be entertainment first and foremost.  There is a lot of truth in what he says though.  

Who could argue with his unemployment numbers.  It is far worse in Canada.

What about the cost of housing.  He says housing is more expensive in Canada than the U.S. but his figures I don't believe are accurate.  It is far more expensive in Canada than he says.  Especially in major cities like Toronto and Vancouver.  I think the average price in Vancouver is over a million dollars.

BC is completely taken over by the woke NDP and the BC Liberals, now BC United Party.  The BC Liberals were one of the first in the world to bring in carbon taxes in 2008 under Premier Gordon Campbell.  Now they are trailing in the polls.  Far below the BC Conservatives.  However the NDP is still in the lead which shows you the mindset of many people in the woke BC.

Sexual orientation and gender identity is still a big thing in B.C. schools.  The NDP recently passed a law to ban any protests or demonstrations a certain distance from all schools.  Like Commie China now.

Yes Canada is a mess.

Edited by blackbird

7 minutes ago, blackbird said:

1. Funny you want to try to dissect his comments when in fact he is a late night entertainer.  This is meant to be entertainment first and foremost.  There is a lot of truth in what he says though.  

2. Sexual orientation and gender identity is still a big thing in B.C. schools. 

3. The NDP recently passed a law to ban any protests or demonstrations a certain distance from all schools.  Like Commie China now.

1. Well that's the thing.  I already rejected advice from his ilk, which includes him, Rogan, Peterson, The View, Dr. Phil etc.

2. Whatever that means... it's a big thing in society in general I suppose.

3. You have no idea.  Nothing turns me off dialoguing with a poster more than hyperbole such as comparing a country that murdered millions of its citizens in our lifetimes to "please keep a distance while protesting".  It's just hard to take you seriously when you post like that.  But have a good day.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, suds said:

Really? Within the U.S. political spectrum I would have to believe a classical liberal like Mahar would fall smack dab in the center along with the self acclaimed moderates. A capitalist, anti-woke, pot smoking, free speech advocate, who votes democrat. What's not to like? He says things that have to be said. I'm a fan.

But he says things other people don't like and think shouldn't be said, especially by a moderate. All moderates are supposed to confine themselves to attacking Trump and the idiocy of the Right, and leave the idiocies of the Left alone.

19 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

It's a purity test on both sides: the tougher than you crowd vs the more sensitive than you crowd.

That's an odd complaint given Maher is one of the few public liberal personalities who attacks his own side's craziness, and not just the other guys. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

Which part specifically, that Maher is objectively pro fascism or that liberals often side with fascists?

How broad does your definition of fascism get that you'd include Maher, a guy who donated a million bucks to the Democrats last election?

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

3. You have no idea.  Nothing turns me off dialoguing with a poster more than hyperbole such as comparing a country that murdered millions of its citizens in our lifetimes to "please keep a distance while protesting". 

I didn't say it was the same as China..  we are heading in the direction of authoritarianism which anybody should be able to see.  Liberals trying to control speech, human rights tribunals that also control speech.  Anything they don't approve of is hate speech. That is a characteristic of China and other dictatorships.  That's all I meant. 

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

It is far worse in Canada.

Yes Canada is a mess.

this is the collapse of Western civilization itself in progress

what was once Canada is simply being drawn down into the torrents of revolution

yet we are blessed to walk with the Nazarene through this pagan wilderness of thorns

as souls are forged by crucible therein

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, suds said:

My point is that "classical liberals" and centrists are happy to get into bed with outright fascists to preserve the status quo and a sense of order. 

19 minutes ago, blackbird said:

1. I didn't say it was the same as China..  we are heading in the direction of authoritarianism which anybody should be able to see.  Liberals trying to control speech, human rights tribunals that also control speech.  Anything they don't approve of is hate speech. That is a characteristic of China and other dictatorships.  That's all I meant. 

1. "like Commie China"

That's exaggerated.  There are always limits on protestors here.

I point it out to you and all you did was repeat your claim.

8 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

My point is that "classical liberals" and centrists are happy to get into bed with outright fascists to preserve the status quo and a sense of order.

thus pitting the two thirds majority bourgeoisie against the one third minority radical left

that doesn't bode well for your side