BREAKING: Court rules Liberals' use of Emergencies Act was unjustified, unreasonable

20 hours ago, herbie said:

Oh. They'll have to think about using it in similar circumstances.
Perhaps not let it drag on for so damn long and just order the Mayor on Day Two to send in the local police charging on horseback swinging billy clubs after one more reading of the riot act.
Just like the good old days 

Try it again and see.

That would be a more conservative approach for sure.

18 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

World upside down for sure, as the leftists on here are all-in on fascist government behaviour.  It’s quite the unexpected cynical twist: Label yourself champion of the little guy while crushing the little guy.  Never has Canada been as Orwellian as that last year of the pandemic. Reminds me of how so many hippies became Gordon Gekko “greed is good” Wall Street types. 

I'm reminded of Abbie Hoffman's suicide.

Some who were close to him claimed that he was also unhappy about reaching middle age,[43] combined with the fact that the liberal upheaval of the 1960s had produced a conservative backlash in the 1980s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbie_Hoffman

I wonder how young conservatives flocking to right-wing governments these days will react to their illusions being shattered?

34 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I'm reminded of Abbie Hoffman's suicide.

Some who were close to him claimed that he was also unhappy about reaching middle age,[43] combined with the fact that the liberal upheaval of the 1960s had produced a conservative backlash in the 1980s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbie_Hoffman

I wonder how young conservatives flocking to right-wing governments these days will react to their illusions being shattered?

I think your point is that most politicians over-promise and under-perform, but also, be careful what you wish for because you just might get it.  Sometimes what you think you want isn’t what you need.  Also, priorities change and buyers’ remorse is a thing.  All that glitters isn’t gold.  Any more cliches?

Edited by Zeitgeist

19 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

World upside down for sure, as the leftists on here are all-in on fascist government behaviour.

Yep, typical MAGA speak, take reality and twist reality backwards. An Act of Parliament that required the cooperation of multiple parties is fascist, not the occupying mob terrorizing citizens, demanding the govt be dismissed in favour of their chosen appointees and shutting down national borders.

Yeah that was Canada's Jan 6th with the patriotic loving peaceful patriots simply touring the Capitol.

5 minutes ago, herbie said:

Yep, typical MAGA speak, take reality and twist reality backwards. An Act of Parliament that required the cooperation of multiple parties is fascist, not the occupying mob terrorizing citizens, demanding the govt be dismissed in favour of their chosen appointees and shutting down national borders.

Yeah that was Canada's Jan 6th with the patriotic loving peaceful patriots simply touring the Capitol.

Ignorance is bliss for you I guess.  I wasn’t a Trump supporter.  Nice try conflating two very different events.  You’re an easy mark for manipulation.

11 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Ignorance is bliss for you I guess.  I wasn’t a Trump supporter.  Nice try conflating two very different events.  You’re an easy mark for manipulation.

You should speak.
Doesn't make a difference if you're an Awami League supporter from Sri Lanka if you think like a MAGA.
Can't see any similarity between mobs demanding democratic rule be overthrown in favour of their demands? It can be difficult to see fascism as fascism when you tout it incessantly while insisting you're not one.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, herbie said:

You should speak.
Doesn't make a difference if you're an Awami League supporter from Sri Lanka if you think like a MAGA.
Can't see any similarity between mobs demanding democratic rule be overthrown in favour of their demands? It can be difficult to see fascism as fascism when you tout it incessantly while insisting you're not one.

I don’t respect dismissing people with a label like that, which in your case would mean dismissing half of Americans.  Pretty closed minded of you.   

3 hours ago, myata said:

Stop this parody! This is no "court": it's joke that anyone who's not zombified by beaver tales can see right for what it is.

A real court would have stopped an abuse of power, or intended one, in the act. This is a joke, some kind of a silly, pointless and utterly useless show.

A picture book "democracy". See, we have "courts" too!

What country has a court system that enforces laws before they’re even brought to them for trial?

Edited by TreeBeard

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

Not the liberal approach which is to violate people's human rights. - that's the one you support right?

I said conservative approach not Conservative. The Conservative approach stands up for this sort of  protesters rights.

Jan. 6 insurrectionist Jacob Chansley could face approximately 4 years  Scott MacFarlane reports

A liberal approach OTOH would be more supportive of this sort of protester against the violation of human rights.

220px-Tank_Man_%28Tiananmen_Square_protester%29.jpg

Now both the Liberal and Conservative approach to Tank Man would be to sign trade deals with China anyway. That said I suspect the Liberal approach to the Q-Anon freak would be to laugh their assess off.

I guess its fair to say that if it was Poilievre who'd been confronted with the Trucker Convoy...well, he wouldn't have been would he? Of course by then Canada's numbers of dead from COVID would have been a hundred thousand or more.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, eyeball said:

By trying it out on your mirror first. You're not really stupid you're just weird. And I am being nice.

So you say you're trying it out on your mirror?  That's good and all - but i don't know if i'd say you're NOT stupid, more like that's only part of it  

Is it one of those funny clown mirrors? That would suit you fairly well

Of all my family members who traditionally vote Tory, every single one was screaming at the TV for Trudeau to clear the bums out. All retained the mental clarity to distinguish a protest from what it had turned into. Dream on, Harper would've reacted at least as harshly but much sooner.

And he had the nuts to distinguish himself and conservatism from that mod of mor0ns.

36 minutes ago, herbie said:

Of all my family members who traditionally vote Tory, every single one was screaming at the TV for Trudeau to clear the bums out. All retained the mental clarity to distinguish a protest from what it had turned into. Dream on, Harper would've reacted at least as harshly but much sooner.

And he had the nuts to distinguish himself and conservatism from that mod of mor0ns.

A 'real' leader would have met with the convoy . . . . Trudeau is a gutless dork. 

Stay calm, chive on!

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2024 at 12:37 PM, CdnFox said:

And now it's official.

The weiner is going to appeal it too, what a dick.

Makes no difference to anyone.  Those who invoked the emergency act and froze bank accounts are not going to be arrested, dragged through the mud or fined.

This is all some political posturing to show others the government upholds the law and that we have a democracy when we all know this is not the case.

7 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

What country has a court system that enforces

Illegal actions of governments overstepping its authority? Every one. If it's a caricature of independent, competent and functional judiciary then it has to be a caricature of democracy, too.

You watch and eat a cheap spectacle, a promo show in place of, and instead of creating and maintaining the real thing. It isn't even close.

3 minutes ago, cougar said:

Makes no difference to anyone. 

Exactly. Why would a theater show make any? That was never in the design.

4 minutes ago, myata said:

Illegal actions of governments overstepping its authority? Every one. If it's a caricature of independent, competent and functional judiciary then it has to be a caricature of democracy, too.

Oh please….   Every legitimate judicial system in the world takes time to make decisions.  

On 1/23/2024 at 7:29 PM, CdnFox said:

well the thing is the PM is pretty immune from illegal decisions.

But - the liberal party will go down in history as the only party to violate Canadians' human rights to protest.  That's going to sting a little bit and will come up now and again.

Its amusing to see the lefties on this board already trying to gloss over it and pretend it's no big deal :)  But  a lot of canadians especially young canadians will remember the ruling and it will colour their already negative impression of liberals whether they liked the convoy or not.

It's amusing to see the righties admire Trudeau Snr and his Charter.

22 hours ago, myata said:

Stop this parody! This is no "court": it's joke that anyone who's not zombified by beaver tales can see right for what it is.

A real court would have stopped an abuse of power, or intended one, in the act. This is a joke, some kind of a silly, pointless and utterly useless show.

A picture book "democracy". See, we have "courts" too!

Agreed. What good is it? What good would it be even if the appeals fail?

The time for the courts to step in and put a stop to an unconstitutional act in progress would have been THEN, not now, long after the fact.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cougar said:

Makes no difference to anyone.  Those who invoked the emergency act and froze bank accounts are not going to be arrested, dragged through the mud or fined.

This is all some political posturing to show others the government upholds the law and that we have a democracy when we all know this is not the case.

Oh he'll be dragged through the mud for it.  He already was internationally before this ruling  and was not well liked as a result - this will seriously impact his earnings with the international speaking tours

And it will come up again. Whenever the left accuses the cpc of something inappropriate they'll retort that there's only one party who stole the rights of citizens to protest in Canada.

And there will be some small legal actions over  it

But yes - at the end of the day it's a bit of a cautionary tale to voters to make better choices, and not vote liberal or ndp in the future if they want to protect their rights.

52 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

The time for the courts to step in and put a stop to an unconstitutional act in progress would have been THEN, not now, long after the fact.

Because this not real thing, nothing even close to it. Just some dumb and pointless parody as it has been designed to be from Day one.

12 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

takes time to make decisions.

Note it doesn't translate to "ridiculous time" or "infinite time". If the decision cannot stop an illegal act in progress, there's no point in it. Useless and dysfunctional imitation, a parody of a working democracy.

1 hour ago, I am Groot said:

So kind of like a super-government that tells the government what to do?

Sounds like a role for the King but didn't we have to fight a bunch of wars to get the government we have to protect us from the King's depredations?

I think the lesson from that is that we need to keep up the pressure from below - make the public less powerless instead.