BREAKING: Court rules Liberals' use of Emergencies Act was unjustified, unreasonable

On 1/26/2024 at 2:29 PM, Zeitgeist said:

I don’t know what your work day looked like, but I can tell you that I had to deal directly with mental health and other issues for a number of personnel and families. The gaps left by the pandemic are enormous and unprecedented.  Certainly nothing has impacted society on this scale since at least WW2.

I know of so many people who have either lost their business, or miraculously survived all the lockdowns post mass vaccination.

It was needlessly devastating for Canadians, and where the government went from public safety, to conflating political advancement under guise of keeping you safe.

I also know of quite a few people who committed suicide.

I was mercifully with my wife, as had to be kept apart from my sibling and their family for almost 8 months.

To try to silence people who were fed up with years of lockdowns, is a move that should go down in shame. Not reverence.

I didn't see a single LCBO or beer store without massive lineups snaking outside. 

This is literally what kept society hanging by a thread.

That should be enough to point to measures clearly not working.

That, and the dramatic increase of homeless people.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

"Dramatic" doesn't even do it justice. It's increasing catastrophically.  They're starting to call these mobile homeless encampments popping up everywhere "Trudeau towns", its an epidemic.

AND the use of food banks has absolutely skyrocketed because even working people can't afford enough food for their families.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/food-banks-across-canada-experience-overwhelming-demand-with-almost-two-million-visits-in-one-month-824749182.html

Food Banks Across Canada Experience Overwhelming Demand with Almost Two Million Visits in One Month

Two million!!  There's only 40 million canadians.

3 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

I know of so many people who have either lost their business, or miraculously survived all the lockdowns post mass vaccination.

It was needlessly devastating for Canadians, and where the government went from public safety, to conflating political advancement under guise of keeping you safe.

I also know of quite a few people who committed suicide.

I was mercifully with my wife, as had to be kept apart from my sibling and their family for almost 8 months.

To try to silence people who were fed up with years of lockdowns, is a move that should go down in shame. Not reverence.

I didn't see a single LCBO or beer store without massive lineups snaking outside. 

This is literally what kept society hanging by a thread.

That should be enough to point to measures clearly not working.

It woke many people up to the fact that government can, and if they can get away with it and it’s politically expedient to do so, will remove basic rights swiftly and without much debate.  Even in a supposedly free society they really hold all the cards until election time, but they can push media to addle the public with shame and fear to get a lot of support.

I just don’t think government should ever have the right to make people stay home and have other rights removed almost under any circumstances.  Sure, in highly exceptional and dangerous circumstances with a short-term sunset clause, but it’s weeks not years.  I don’t think that the extended lockdowns were worthwhile because the cure was worse than the disease in many ways, especially in the second half of the pandemic. The focus should’ve been on protecting the vulnerable with voluntary lockdowns for them but providing free deliveries and safe visits to prevent loneliness, I think.  Healthy kids and young adults shouldn’t have been forced to stay home.

I’m not sure we saved more lives because of the lockdowns when you factor in suicide, bad health outcomes related to mental health, financial losses, and untreated illnesses.  The state mandated dysfunction and called it virtue.  Even the relatively untested vaccines shouldn’t have been required. I realize there are strong opinions for and against, but trying to maintain draconian measures through the EA near the end of the pandemic was bad governance. 

1 hour ago, Zeitgeist said:

I’m not sure we saved more lives

That's the unintended consequences am positive Trudeau did not consider.

Long term damage is far more devastating.

Stress drinking, eating and other harmful coping mechanisms most adults have, were on full throttle during the lockdowns. 

I know athletes who looked overweight and had full beards by the end of them.

So many divorces. 

My neighbor and his significant other were having such loud relationship ending fights on a weekly basis, I would have 911 ready to go in case it went down that badly. They eventually broke up and moved from their home.

The women stuck in abusive relationships who now truly had nowhere to go due to orders to do just that.

Crisis hotlines, kids help phone and the like, where overwhelmed.

The smug look on Trudeau's face when he touted the suicide volume barely having increased, as to "proving" his methods were best is just a level of being out of touch that is so pronounced you have got to be narssisstic. 

There must be a cartoon of him sitting on the deck of a sinking ship, with hundreds of staff frantically scooping out the water with pasta forks with him stating:

"Our government is hard at work, and will right this ship in no time!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2024 at 12:37 PM, CdnFox said:

OTTAWA – The Liberal government’s decision to invoke the Emergencies Act in response to the 2022 Freedom Convoy protests was unreasonable, unjustified and violated the Charter, the Federal Court has ruled.

In a lengthy ruling published Tuesday, Federal Court Justice Richard Mosley found that though the Freedom Convoy protests in early 2022 were causing harm to Canada’s economy, trade and commerce, they did not rise to the level of a threat to national security as defined by the law.

Mosley sided with civil liberties groups who argued the Liberal government went beyond its powers, violated the Charter and was not justified in its historic invocation of the Emergencies Act in February 2022.

“I have concluded that the decision to issue the Proclamation (of the Emergencies Act) does not bear the hallmarks of reasonableness – justification, transparency and intelligibility – and was not justified,” Mosley wrote.

On the same day, Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said the government did not agree with Mosley’s decision and promised to appeal it.

WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!

What sane people have been saying all along. He violated people's human rights on a vast scale.  And now it's official.

The weiner is going to appeal it too, what a dick.

This decision is indeed a breath of fresh air and a (small) victory for justice.  However, I believe that we should probe a bit deeper, and ask ourselves some hard questions:  What kind of political environment enabled/emboldened Trudeau to abuse his power like that?  And what can we do to prevent something like this from happening again? Why did most Canadians do nothing about it?  Did they care or even know that this was going on?

Also, even though it's good that a judge ruled against Trudeau, I would say that it's too late.  Damage has already been done.  Trudeau had already stymied movements of freedom.  Telling him now that he acted like a tyrant doesn't really accomplish much, IMHO.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2024 at 5:12 PM, GroundskeeperWillie said:

This decision is indeed a breath of fresh air and a (small) victory for justice.  However, I believe that we should probe a bit deeper, and ask ourselves some hard questions:  What kind of political environment enabled/emboldened Trudeau to abuse his power like that?  And what can we do to prevent something like this from happening again? Why did most Canadians do nothing about it?  Did they care or even know that this was going on?

Also, even though it's good that a judge ruled against Trudeau, I would say that it's too late.  Damage has already been done.  Trudeau had already stymied movements of freedom.  Telling him now that he acted like a tyrant doesn't really accomplish much, IMHO.

well the thing is - an emergency act has to, by it's very nature, be immediately available if there's an emergency.  You really can't have an emergency act that has a lot of failsafes.  Otherwise it would be called the 'we should really think about this and get back to you in a week' act.  :)

It's worth noting that the original failsafe was the senate. They have to vote on it within a week of it being passed or it automatically turns off.  And the senate made it pretty clear to everyone that htey were going to vote it down. Which is why trudeau backed off and shut it down himself.  So in that sense, the system did work and the breaker did pop. But as you say - after damage had been done.

The biggest failure of the system was the voter. They voted in someone they knew was divisive, corrupt, who'd already shown he had no respect for their rights, and unfortunately liberal supporters thought that was  just fine. Sad fact is, many of them still think it was a good decision.

Other than that - all they can do is maybe beef up the definition of "emergency", maybe specifically state that bouncy-castles are not actually threats to democracy.

• Like 1