The Devil rose up in front of Ole Mitch, once again!

2 hours ago, NYLefty said:

Mitch's date with the Devil is set. He has the blood of children on his hands because of his lifelong refusal to put common sense gun laws into place. Laws that would've saved the lives of so many. His NRA membership won't count for much where he's headed.

Wow.  You're a bit of a ghoul aren't you.  That's pretty gross.  You're not a very good person sometimes.

In any case, he's clearly got some health issues.  The man should be retiring, he's in his 80's for heaven's sake. He's clearly nearing the end of his life and should graciously step back while he's still lucid. Always sad to see someone coming to that point but in fairness he's had a good run.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

I can't make you empathize.  It's a shame that we wish harm on public figures, though.  

It is, and although the concept is not new it's is a shame that elected officials can inspire such adversarial reactions among the general public. Comes largely from lockstep partisanship which benefits one group, or makes one group believe they're getting some sort of benefit and another group being totally shut out. In life we have to make a choices on educated decisions, then you choose your poison.

16 hours ago, NYLefty said:

The look in his eye was nothing short of pure terror! Satan rose in front of Ole Mitch yet once again. Yes Mr McConnell will pay for his lifetime of sins against mankind, people in need and working families. Satan awaits Mitch McConnell as Jesus turns a blind eye.

He and the hair sniffer must be on the same medications. 

8 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

I can't make you empathize.  It's a shame that we wish harm on public figures, though.  

McConnell has been very dishonest. He claimed that there is an unwritten rule that a Supreme Court nomination cannot be considered 90 days before a Presidential election… then went on to confirm a nominee within 30 days of an election.  

He said that Trump committed impeachable offenses on January 6, then refused to vote for his conviction because Trump’s presidency was nearly over.  

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Rebound said:

McConnell has been very dishonest. He claimed that there is an unwritten rule that a Supreme Court nomination cannot be considered 90 days before a Presidential election… then went on to confirm a nominee within 30 days of an election.  

He said that Trump committed impeachable offenses on January 6, then refused to vote for his conviction because Trump’s presidency was nearly over.  

So therefore it's ok to revel in his medical distress?

It's ok to dislike the guy AND not act like an ass over his obvious health issues.  I mean if he just stumbled a bit then sure it's a little funny - it's funny when a young person does.  And show me a politician who hasn't said one thing or done another on the dem side.  That's just politicians.

But don't throw out your humanity for heaven's sake.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

How is what @NYLefty posting different than your rabid vilification, and wish for harm, of Dr. Fauci?

To me, they seem pretty similar.  

Fauci paid for the China Virus and lied about it.

I don't like McConnell but this lefty is nothing more than a troll.

America’s unprecedented gerontocracy is a concerning phenomenon. So many of the country’s prominent leaders and officials from the president to senators to Supreme Court justices are 80+ and still clinging to power when they should have retired and made way for the next generation long ago. There should be mandatory retirement from public office at age 70. Another symptom of America’s crumbling democracy and failing empire. 

1 hour ago, BeaverFever said:

America’s unprecedented gerontocracy is a concerning phenomenon. So many of the country’s prominent leaders and officials from the president to senators to Supreme Court justices are 80+ and still clinging to power when they should have retired and made way for the next generation long ago. There should be mandatory retirement from public office at age 70. Another symptom of America’s crumbling democracy and failing empire. 

They get to vote for their leaders though. it's not like the dems for example didn't have plenty of younger choices.  It's just that they were all nuts.

So the question is why aren't more younger democrats and republicans putting their names forward. Why do we in Canada see so many younger leaders and politicians?

I honestly believe a big part of it comes down to donations.  Politicians in the states of all parties and positions spend the MAJORITY of their time looking for donations for their party - not doing the work of the people.

It takes years to develop those relationships where someone will give you 100,000 dollars.  So the only people who get the jobs is the older people and they hold on.

In canada it used to be that way - but since we banned corporate and union donations and since we capped the amount people can donate personally to about 1200 dollars (slightly more now i think)  suddenly the young people who could appeal to the average citizen for donations started becoming leaders and politicians.

Trueau was 44 when he became prime minister.  Polievre our next prime minister will be about 46 depending on when the election is. The house is full of young faces.

The US has to get money out of it's elections if it's going to reform.

48 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

I honestly believe a big part of it comes down to donations.  Politicians in the states of all parties and positions spend the MAJORITY of their time looking for donations for their party - not doing the work of the people.

Yeah I think it’s something like that, with the big donors being the primary factor. But the people giving $100k (or maybe even millions considering all dark money and slush funds and superpac nonsense that is now legal in the US) are also shopping for politicians to buy.  I doubt they’re going to close their wallets if their current politician retires, they’ll just buy off the new guy that comes along.

So similar to your point but kind of on the flip side, Big donors, even if they are going to donate anyway no matter who is on the ballot, have no interest in replacing politicians who deliver on their agenda with someone new so they basically use their wealth and power to keep their favored incumbents in office. 

17 minutes ago, BeaverFever said:

Yeah I think it’s something like that, with the big donors being the primary factor. But the people giving $100k (or maybe even millions considering all dark money and slush funds and superpac nonsense that is now legal in the US) are also shopping for politicians to buy.  I doubt they’re going to close their wallets if their current politician retires, they’ll just buy off the new guy that comes along.

Guaranteed, but it takes years of relationship building to get close to those 'million dollar donors' -  so chances are the next candidate that they support will already be older.  And - they'll hold the money bags till they ARE ready to retire.

So similar to your point but kind of on the flip side, Big donors, even if they are going to donate anyway no matter who is on the ballot, have no interest in replacing politicians who deliver on their agenda with someone new so they basically use their wealth and power to keep their favored incumbents in office. 

Yeap.  And so those incumbents or favorites hold the money bags for the party and young challegers are told to eff off till they're old enough to have enough contacts of their own to replace that money.  The party itself protects the "Big earners".

If they couldn't collect money like that - then the party would lose interest in the older ones and be more interested in young people who could attract more donations from the average folk.  If everyone is limited to no more than 1200 dollars (which they get most of back in taxes) then you need a thousand small donors to replace the 1 million dollar donor and that's a young man's game.

Get rid of the money-raising and it would change the entire face of America.

3 hours ago, BeaverFever said:

Canada's judges including supreme court justices must retire at 75. The same rule should apply to politicians.

Edited by Aristides