Canada's military is broken and falling apart.

16 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

again, the Americans will not allow Canada to buy them

the Americans control who is in the club and who is not

they do not want Canada to have nuclear powered submarines

Canada already went through this process

Canada was going to buy nuclear powered submarines in the 1980's

until the Americans sent a letter to Ottawa saying that they opposed it

Canada,  being totally reliant on the Americans for all things military, simply did as they were tolt at that point

never mind that nuclear submarines are ten times as expensive as the Victoria class Canada has now

if Canada is too cheap to pay for the submarines it has now

then Canada doesn't have the will to buy nuclear, even if the Americans permitted it

That's depressing.

12 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

no it doesn't

all the Americans want from Canada is compliance & access

they don't actually want Canada to have a powerful military

that would undermine American influence over Canada

America doesn't want you to fight, they just want you to obey

Compliance and access has never been a problem, ever, during WWII when we had a full Corp full of men and equipment...nobody ever saw us as a military power or one to be feared. sorry i can not buy into the point that the US would even consider us a threat to them, in any way...and today not even on our best day could we mount a viable defense of Canada from the US military machine....i mean we are great warriors but we are not supermen...well most in the Royals are but the rest of those hippies, i cant vouch for...

1 minute ago, Army Guy said:

Compliance and access has never been a problem, ever, during WWII when we had a full Corp full of men and equipment...nobody ever saw us as a military power or one to be feared. sorry i can not buy into the point that the US would even consider us a threat to them, in any way...and today not even on our best day could we mount a viable defense of Canada from the US military machine....i mean we are great warriors but we are not supermen...well most in the Royals are but the rest of those hippies, i cant vouch for...

America doesn't view Canada as a threat, because Canada is as weak as a kitten

which is exactly how America likes it

which is why they don't want you to have a powerful independent military with your own foreign policy

your role is to render unto American Ceasar

not with your military, all they want is your natural resources

again, America 101

one thing to understand about America, is that America doesn't actually want its allies to fight

having to deal with allies who fight, who have to be included in the orders groups

America does not want that, that is all a big pain in the ass for the Pentagon

the Pentagon wants to do all the fighting itself

all America really wants from its allies is access

just let them base their forces in your country

just let them have access to your markets & resources

that's all America wants

in return, America will do all the fighting for you

plus you get to live the American lifestyle without having to pay for a military

18 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Canada is depressing

nobody actually wanted to live here

the British had to force people to come to this frozen gulag, as a hardship posting

I like living here. I've seen most of Europe and choose this frozen gulag over it any day.

20 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

I like living here. I've seen most of Europe and choose this frozen gulag over it any day.

that's because you don't have any money

soon as any Canadian gets rich

they get the heck out of this pseudo Communist lunatic asylum to kick back in a low tax jurisdiction in the sunshine

everybody knows the Canadian dream, it to make enough money to retire in Florida

it's 24ºC right now In Miami

you might go to the cottage here in July, but nobody with money would bother to winter in Canada

Edited by Dougie93

59 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

The Coast Guard is a member of the security apparatus, they are responsible for patrolling the coast and protecting our water ways, many different governments have thought about arming them. but decided not to, but their ships could be easily armed with LT guns if they had to...They work hand in hand with our Navy and RCMP in doing that...

You can arm anything, I suppose.   They’re not trained in weaponry.  Some have fishery officers onboard with sidearms.   CCG ships do SAR and fisheries enforcement and research.  Of course they talk to other organizations.  That doesn’t mean they’re part of the military.   

4 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

You can arm anything, I suppose.   They’re not trained in weaponry.  Some have fishery officers onboard with sidearms.   CCG ships do SAR and fisheries enforcement and research.  Of course they talk to other organizations.  That doesn’t mean they’re part of the military.   

indeed

moreover, simply being armed does not make you the military

the defining characteristic of the military is that your role is to kill

use of offensive lethal force beyond the authority of law enforcement

so even arming the Coast Guard would not militarize them

the Canadian Coast Guard is basically Merchant Marine public sector employees

they are unionized under PSAC, so the Coast Guard can even go on strike

3 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Why would Russian subs be in our artic waters to shorten flight time of nuke missiles.. and you don't need a boomer to launch nukes..

No FFS they wouldn't shorten flight times, if they wanted to nuke anything they'd do it from the west coast or east coast where it would. They don't need to traverse E-W in our waters, they can do it in their own waters or use their own bases on the oceans that matter worth shit.
And perhaps you don't believe it, but the Russians are sure the Yanks can tell if they enter the NWP? They've got sensors everywhere else on the planet.

10 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

that's because you don't have any money

soon as any Canadian gets rich

they get the heck out of this pseudo Communist lunatic asylum to kick back in a low tax jurisdiction in the sunshine

everybody knows the Canadian dream, it to make enough money to retire in Florida

it's 24ºC right now In Miami

you might go to the cottage here in July, but nobody with money would bother to winter in Canada

Well you'd be wrong about the money thing. But we do plan to spend winters in warmer places...when I finally retire.

13 hours ago, Nationalist said:

To make some kind of point you send me a link to sign up to Pierre Poliwhatevers website??

C'mon now. I served under both conservative and liberal governments. Same old same old. Military always last.:)

Edited by ExFlyer

12 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

To make some kind of point you send me a link to sign up to Pierre Poliwhatevers website??

C'mon now. I served under both conservative and liberal governments. Same old same old. Military always last.:)

You claimed...

"No plans, no beliefs, no foresight, no promoting Canada and unity."

I showed you there is.

you're welcome.

9 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

You claimed...

"No plans, no beliefs, no foresight, no promoting Canada and unity."

I showed you there is.

you're welcome.

No, you showed me a sign up page for the conservative party LOL

I do not sign up for any political party.

17 hours ago, Army Guy said:

The Coast Guard is a member of the security apparatus, they are responsible for patrolling the coast and protecting our water ways, many different governments have thought about arming them. but decided not to, but their ships could be easily armed with LT guns if they had to...They work hand in hand with our Navy and RCMP in doing that...

They would then have to become part of the military or a police force. As they are, they are civilians working for the dept of fisheries.

15 hours ago, herbie said:

No FFS they wouldn't shorten flight times, if they wanted to nuke anything they'd do it from the west coast or east coast where it would. They don't need to traverse E-W in our waters, they can do it in their own waters or use their own bases on the oceans that matter worth shit.
And perhaps you don't believe it, but the Russians are sure the Yanks can tell if they enter the NWP? They've got sensors everywhere else on the planet.

You should explain your theories to NORAD, i'm sure they would be relived that an attack would not be coming out of the north...And all that waste NORAD dew line facilities they built up there to monitor the entire north including the center portion... must have been a liberal project. good thing we got guys like you around to set the world straight. 

17 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

At no point did i say they were part of the military, i explain how the government uses the coast guard activities to boast our military expenditures up to meet the 2 % mark, They the liberal government says those activities are military in nature so they can discount how much they spend on our military... I did not say that the liberals said that the guys you support...

I did say they are part of our nations Security apparatus, CG, RCMP, Border services, immigration, CSIS, DND.  

argue your point with the liberal government...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aristides said:

They would then have to become part of the military or a police force. As they are, they are civilians working for the dept of fisheries.

How so becasue they are armed, you can teach a monkey about small arms, in a matters of hours or days, we recently decided to arm border services, every seen some of those people with a weapon it is scary....and yet they managed the transition......I think the hardest part would be training them to have powers of arrest..

they would become another department in service of Canada at that is armed...Not sure do they already have powers of arrest...add it into their training you'd be surprised at how little firearms training you get in Military basic training... i think we had couple of days on the ranges...and only with the service rifle nothing else... lots of dry training... 

31 minutes ago, Aristides said:

We had an incident a few years ago where Coast Guard helicopters couldn't take part in a search because the weather was below civilian minimums. SAR out of Comox were able to take part because the military is not subject to the same weather minima.

The CCG Bell helicopters are not dedicated SAR.  They always use the military out of Comox for SAR. 

41 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

The CCG Bell helicopters are not dedicated SAR.  They always use the military out of Comox for SAR. 

Yes but you would think Coast Guard helicopters should be able to do SAR. The US  coast guard is often hauling distressed Canadian boaters out of the water.

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

You should explain your theories to NORAD, i'm sure they would be relived that an attack would not be coming out of the north...And all that waste NORAD dew line facilities they built up there to monitor the entire north including the center portion... must have been a liberal project. good thing we got guys like you around to set the world straight. 

Yeah it is good to have people like me who know it's 2023 and not 1953, isn't it? Someone who's actually seen maps and globes and can figure out if you want to launch a surprise attack you don't do it from as far away as possible.