Doug Ford - covid era

16 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I notice most left of centre folks are ok with Doug in this time of crisis, and parking the discussion of less important issues.

On  myFacebook feed, rightistas are taking the time to criticize Trudeau's refugee policy.  Just an observation.

Tough times mean we shouldn't criticize government?  Maybe we should be more critical at this time than at any other time, since the stakes are the highest.

Politicians shouldn't be hated, only judged on the merits of their policies good and bad.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Tough times mean we shouldn't criticize government?  Maybe we should be more critical at this time than at any other time, since the stakes are the highest.

Politicians shouldn't be hated, only judged on the merits of their policies good and bad.

Yup, but when partisanship is so very obviously associated with the spread of this disease i.e. China's dictatorship, it behooves all of us to be a lot more discerning in our criticism.  I don't think there is a politician in the world who hasn't put politics first in their approach to this crisis and as such the highest stake is their degree of transparency....it should be to a degree that would make Orwell blush as I often like to say.

Edited by eyeball

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

I notice most left of centre folks are ok with Doug in this time of crisis, and parking the discussion of less important issues.

That is just your interpretation of what is more/ less important. Many people just want to conduct their day as "business as usual". Take precautions blah blah, yes fine. But there are other problems and issues beyond the coronavirus still waiting to be solved.

2 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

1. Tough times mean we shouldn't criticize government? 

2. Maybe we should be more critical at this time than at any other time, since the stakes are the highest.

3. Politicians shouldn't be hated, only judged on the merits of their policies good and bad.

1. Unity.  It means we should adjust for the times.

2. Maybe.  Let's start a long discussion about trade policy in Europe right now, why not.

3. Easy for you to say.  You should have seen the dolts in my Facebook feed overjoyed by Sophie Trudeau getting the virus.  Just an anecdote but ... wow.  I don't see anybody gunning for Ford, or nitpicking his choices.  I do see people wishing death on Trump, Rand Paul, and Mitch McConnell.  Trump himself seemed pretty pleased that Romney got it.  That's a different kind of sickness.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

1. That is just your interpretation of what is more/ less important.
2.  But there are other problems and issues beyond the coronavirus still waiting to be solved.

1.  Yeah I suppose so.  Do you think maybe Toronto Council should meet and discuss the Eglinton LRT timeline now ?  Maybe some other topic ?
2.  I had no idea so few people in this world understood the concept of prioritization.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

1.  Yeah I suppose so.  Do you think maybe Toronto Council should meet and discuss the Eglinton LRT timeline now ?  Maybe some other topic ?
2.  I had no idea so few people in this world understood the concept of prioritization.

1. Not tonight.
2. Is it priority for everyone to chatter incessantly about it? Stay home, wash hands. etc. Allow me to repeat that.

I realize how panicky people are. i see it as a problem too. Stop talking about it all the time, go and do some other normal things. Get your family to calm down, and don't forget your mom.

17 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

1. Not tonight.
2. Is it priority for everyone to chatter incessantly about it? Stay home, wash hands. etc. Allow me to repeat that.
3. Stop talking about it all the time,...

1.  Good.

2. Well, if you want to discuss the price of eggs you are perfectly free to do so.  I am interested in what Premier Ford is asking us to do, personally.

3. Beside the point but ok.

3 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I already lauded him... do you suspect me of secretly promoting Ford because I hate Ford ?  That's a George Constanza level game right there... :lol:

Not at all, not at all. I simply suggest that your attitude towards the coronavirus is different from mine, and the reasons for that might be interesting. But you don't want to discuss it, because you are so interested in what Ford is asking people to do... Personally.

54 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Not at all, not at all. I simply suggest that your attitude towards the coronavirus is different from mine, and the reasons for that might be interesting. But you don't want to discuss it, because you are so interested in what Ford is asking people to do... Personally.

I'm supposed to get this from 'of course you are'?

I think this is a big deal.  If you feel differently, I think that's just a difference. Maybe it's interesting, maybe not.  

I don't know anything about you either, maybe our differences are interesting...

14 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Ford seems to be doing a decent job in the COVID era, keeping the partisan rhetoric down and bringing people together. Praise where it is due. 

Yep.  If only Democrats in the United States would follow that example.

8 minutes ago, Shady said:

Sorry, but relief packages filled with pork projects is inexcusable.  I thought you were an opponent of such behind the scenes lobbying?

Absolutely I am. I thought you said that sort of accountability was an attack on free speech.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2020 at 6:40 PM, jacee said:

I give Doug Ford credit for choosing leadership over partisanship.

He's doing "the people" a solid, at expense of businesses.  

And ... takeout delivery lcbo are solid.  Thx Doug! 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-19-coronavirus-ontario-monday-1.5506445

I like it you can put your partisan views to the side and say the above. Yesterday he had a hard day releasing the no's he did. For the same reason Inhold back my  partisan disdain for Trudeau and Trump.  I am not happy with Trump not taking decisive action with states with no quarantine but that is another of many things he does I do not understand. I preder your non partisan approach at this time. 

On 4/4/2020 at 10:25 AM, Rue said:

I like it you can put your partisan views to the side and say the above. Yesterday he had a hard day releasing the no's he did. For the same reason Inhold back my  partisan disdain for Trudeau and Trump.  I am not happy with Trump not taking decisive action with states with no quarantine but that is another of many things he does I do not understand. I preder your non partisan approach at this time. 

Trump has no control over what the state governments do, so getting mad at him for that literally makes no sense at all.

US Media fawning over a Canadian Leader. B)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/07/crisis-can-forge-great-leaders-doug-ford-is-showing-that-canada/?fbclid=IwAR1qLuIm4S0DhVq27_mI3AVdWZUdNkKo5yjsbgNrq81JOcTuF0WkXLi2DLw

Yet, the Canadian left’s favorite lightning rod for controversy has undergone a stunning transformation during the coronavirus pandemic. Doug Ford has turned into one of the most trusted political leaders in not only Canada.

Doug Ford has certainly come a long way from the days when he was vilified by the leftist media as being a hash dealer, crack provider as well as a bigot, chauvenist and otherwise complete moron.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/globe-investigation-the-ford-familys-history-with-drug-dealing/article12153014/

6 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Doug Ford has certainly come a long way from the days when he was vilified by the leftist media as being a hash dealer, crack provider as well as a bigot, chauvenist and otherwise complete moron.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/globe-investigation-the-ford-familys-history-with-drug-dealing/article12153014/

Only in the alt-right cracked mirrors is the f*cking Globe and Mail 'leftist media'... give your head a shake... maybe use one of those paint can shakers in Home Hardware, but in any case set it on high.

Doug Ford, by the way, has been widely praised across the spectrum for bringing his actual talents to the crisis: plain talk, respect for the common person, and a pragmatic focus that is exactly what we need.  That does not change the fact that he was identified as: a hash dealer, a crack provider, a bigot ,a chauvinist and a moron.  But it shows he is redeemable, and that the kind of binary politics you savour should be blown out of a porthole.

29 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Only in the alt-right cracked mirrors is the f*cking Globe and Mail 'leftist media'... give your head a shake... maybe use one of those paint can shakers in Home Hardware, but in any case set it on high.

Doug Ford, by the way, has been widely praised across the spectrum for bringing his actual talents to the crisis: plain talk, respect for the common person, and a pragmatic focus that is exactly what we need.  That does not change the fact that he was identified as: a hash dealer, a crack provider, a bigot ,a chauvinist and a moron.  But it shows he is redeemable, and that the kind of binary politics you savour should be blown out of a porthole.

Or it shows you are fools for believing a criminal can redeem themselves, by flashing a little magic in your eyes. Even Donald Trump is your hero these days, I'll wager.