Doug Ford - covid era

44 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Or it shows you are fools for believing a criminal can redeem themselves, by flashing a little magic in your eyes. Even Donald Trump is your hero these days, I'll wager.

Criminals actually can redeem themselves.  The whole justice system is based on that.

What magic ?  

2 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Doug Ford has certainly come a long way from the days when he was vilified by the leftist media as being a hash dealer, crack provider as well as a bigot, chauvenist and otherwise complete moron.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/globe-investigation-the-ford-familys-history-with-drug-dealing/article12153014/

All Ford had to do was believe in the science and do what every sane government around the world is doing - and gosh darn if "leftists" didn't notice and acknowledge, even praise.  

In the meantime, JT does essentially the same thing, but "rightists" continue on the warpath, claiming he's done nothing, or not enough, or not fast enough, or is "cowering at home", or isn't a strong enough leader, yada yada.

So many conservatives are so deluded by their partisanship that its going to be very apparent to moderates that they can't be trusted.  If conservatives want the Liberals to have a majority next election, all they need to do is keep showing up on social media with their completely partisan nitpicking criticism, their conspiracy theories, their death wishes on JT and his family, and their lauding of Trump.

74% of Canadians overall think JT is doing a good job, but only 45% of cons agree.

19 minutes ago, dialamah said:

All Ford had to do was believe in the science and do what every sane government around the world is doing - and gosh darn if "leftists" didn't notice and acknowledge, even praise.  

In the meantime, JT does essentially the same thing, but "rightists" continue on the warpath, claiming he's done nothing, or not enough, or not fast enough, or is "cowering at home", or isn't a strong enough leader, yada yada.

So many conservatives are so deluded by their partisanship that its going to be very apparent to moderates that they can't be trusted.  If conservatives want the Liberals to have a majority next election, all they need to do is keep showing up on social media with their completely partisan nitpicking criticism, their conspiracy theories, their death wishes on JT and his family, and their lauding of Trump.

74% of Canadians overall think JT is doing a good job, but only 45% of cons agree.

Your rant seems somewhat anecdotal. I'm not seeing huge criticism of JT. 

JT has done a lot right like co-ordinating the assistance required to get everyone to not work. 

But his daily briefings are dull and useless. May as well skip his briefing and starting watching when Tam, Freeland and Co do theirs. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Boges said:

JT has done a lot right like co-ordinating the assistance required to get everyone to not work. 

But his daily briefings are dull and useless. May as well skip his briefing and starting watching when Tam, Freeland and Co do theirs. 

Agreed.  Not seeing a lot of JT criticism.

Kenney gave his address to Albertans last night and while it was rough and not a pretty picture, I felt like he at least went up there and gave you the hard facts and truths, instead of going in circles and avoiding questions giving false promises like Trudeau. During this entire crisis that was the only real address to the people that was actually informing, as rough as it was.

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Criminals actually can redeem themselves.  The whole justice system is based on that.

What magic ?  

Yes, they can even become the Premier of Ontario with a sound majority and no prior political background. It was just an opportune moment for the great Doug to step up to the plate. Amazing timing he has. That alone seems magical.

1 hour ago, Boges said:

This makes me wonder how many people on this forum you have on ignore.  Perhaps you aren't on  FB?  As well as anecdotal info, I've also seen opinion pieces in some mainstream media echoing the opinions I read on this forum from the most partisan conservatives.  Makes me wonder what the more extreme RW media are putting out there, but I suppose the likes of Taxme keep us updated there. 

1 hour ago, Boges said:

I don't really watch any of them; they're all pretty dull, imo, and key information is readily available afterward.   I don't even think they're strictly necessary from a "news update" perspective.   I think their main value is more reassurance that our leaders are on the job.  

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Is luck magical? Maybe

If you can believe at this point that Doug Ford was lucky, then you'll certainly believe in little green men. Obviously it would not take anything to convince you people that little green men exist, if you thought it would save your wretched lives.

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

If you can believe at this point that Doug Ford was lucky, then you'll certainly believe in little green men. Obviously it would not take anything to convince you people that little green men exist, if you thought it would save your wretched lives.

'You people' :lol: That sounds crazy.

Yes, Doug is lucky.  Unless you think that he orchestrated Patrick Brown's demise.

11 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

'You people' :lol: That sounds crazy.

Yes, Doug is lucky.  Unless you think that he orchestrated Patrick Brown's demise.

I have my theories why Doug Ford so suddenly became the premier, and it has to do with criminality. Not "luck". Nor is he smart enough to orchestrate that demise, in my opinion. It was given to him for a reason.

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

I have my theories why Doug Ford so suddenly became the premier, and it has to do with criminality. Not "luck". Nor is he smart enough to orchestrate that demise, in my opinion. It was given to him for a reason.

Hmmm.... well your conspiracy theory is noted but I don't think there is an illuminati much less an Ontario one.

On 4/10/2020 at 11:45 PM, Moonlight Graham said:

Ford's response to COVID-19 has been better than Trump and Trudeau's.  Although I don't know why testing per capita in ON has been so low.

Has he reversed the cuts to health care? Long term care? 

He's getting blustery now, but he  has not addressed the effects of his budget cuts. Long term care is an absolute disgrace, and elderly residents are dying as a result, COVID19 rates among long term care staff are very high. Is he putting more money into staffing or resources ... or just yelling at people about testing? 

I appreciated that Ford didn't play politics on this issue, but what has he actually done to provide necessary money and resources?  A photo op of himself carrying a box of masks? 

: - /

He's done virtually nothing! 

Edited by jacee

On 4/8/2020 at 12:58 PM, dialamah said:

Wow! 45% of Conservatives will admit that they think Trudeau is doing a good job! That's amazing! 

Lol 

1 hour ago, Moonlight Graham said:

So you're saying conservatives are sadistic and evil?  Ok.

No, just misled and stupid. The lack of justice stems from the sense the system isn't punishing enough.  Yes I've seen the stories about lax sentencing for the occasional murder but I've also seen stories about hundreds of thousands of perps being sentenced to life for pot.

Okay?

3 hours ago, jacee said:

Name these cuts. How much? The Tories are in the process of adding 15,000 long-term care beds, the first significant increase in twenty years. The Liberals, while in power for 12 years, added pretty much none, nor did they increase hospital beds.

4 hours ago, jacee said:

He's getting blustery now, but he  has not addressed the effects of his budget cuts. Long term care is an absolute disgrace, and elderly residents are dying as a result, COVID19 rates among long term care staff are very high. Is he putting more money into staffing or resources ... or just yelling at people about testing? 

I appreciated that Ford didn't play politics on this issue, but what has he actually done to provide necessary money and resources?  A photo op of himself carrying a box of masks? 

: - /

He's done virtually nothing! 

Ford locked things down and reacted faster than the feds did.

4 hours ago, eyeball said:

No, just misled and stupid. The lack of justice stems from the sense the system isn't punishing enough.  Yes I've seen the stories about lax sentencing for the occasional murder but I've also seen stories about hundreds of thousands of perps being sentenced to life for pot.

Okay?

People are being sentenced to life for pot?????