Doug Ford - covid era

17 hours ago, ProudConservative said:

Well I voted for the PCC, because the conservatives are to weak. He was just following keynesians economics. 10 billion deficit, is nothing compared to the harm Trudeau is causing right now. Trudeau is all out on a vote buying orgy... and nothing can stop him.

I just heard Canada is going to rack up 10 years of debt, to pay for this stupid Chinese virus.

As is the rest of the developed world by telling people to stay home to stop the spread of a contagious disease. 

• Like 1

It sucks for all governments that they're forced again to plunge into keynesian economics. But like in 2008, the alternative is catastrophe. If people are told to stay home, you'd better support them or that's cruel. 

What sucks more is that we've had 10 years of somewhat robust growth, and almost no governments took advantage of it by balancing their books. 

At this point, deficit spending is just a matter of course most parties don't have the stomach to institute drastic austerity. 

Right-Wing USA is the worst at it, deficits have ballooned under Trump. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Boges said:

1. At this point, deficit spending is just a matter of course most parties don't have the stomach to institute drastic austerity. 

2. Right-Wing USA is the worst at it, deficits have ballooned under Trump. 

1. I guess the left-wing revenge will be Canada defaults on debt payment which will impact everyone's retirement savings at some point.
2. Well, the great thing about being currency of reserve is you can do that.  ( Channelling BC here... )

4 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

2. Well, the great thing about being currency of reserve is you can do that.  ( Channelling BC here... )

Except if a bi-racial democrat is in office. Then you must pretend you're pre-revolutionary Americans protesting taxation from the British. 

My apologies, this is reckless thread drift. 

11 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Yes, you belong with that 2% if Canadians who want to kill immigration, pull out of trade deals, and think climate change is not man made.

According to the polls it's more like 50% who want immigration greatly reduced. And even the scientists don't know how much of climate change is man-made. They just know some is. They don't, though, know what to do about it.

What I love about my Canadian Conservative identity is the pragmatism.  Doug Ford is reminding us of this tradition.

You are not even remotely a conservative in any way, shape or form. You are a progressive on the far Left.

Bernier is about the most delusional politician I can think of.  After posting Rhinoceros Party like numbers, he announced that the party is here to stay...

The Green Party got 0.21% their first time out. It took them 13 years to work their way up to 0.43% in 1997 and 0..81% in 2000. It wasn't until 2004 they managed to get candidates enough for every riding. Given Bernier started putting this thing together only a few months before the election, it's little short of a miracle that he managed to field candidates for all ridings and get as many votes as he did. Especially given the open hostility of the media, which basically tried to portray him, when they even mentioned him, as Adolph Hitler despite his generally progressive social views.

Edited by Argus

3 hours ago, Boges said:

It sucks for all governments that they're forced again to plunge into keynesian economics. But like in 2008, the alternative is catastrophe. If people are told to stay home, you'd better support them or that's cruel. 

What sucks more is that we've had 10 years of somewhat robust growth, and almost no governments took advantage of it by balancing their books. 

At this point, deficit spending is just a matter of course most parties don't have the stomach to institute drastic austerity.

Electorally, we've gotten to the point where advocating a balanced budget is a loser. Almost half the population doesn't pay any taxes anyway. They vote for whomever offers them the most money, and they don't care if it's borrowed or taken from some 'rich' people. A huge chunk of the middle class that IS paying taxes are public sector workers. Their interests are with big, free spending government, not Tories who want to cut back.

So yeah, it's pretty hard to get traction as a conservative, especially since the party keeps appointing bland, dull, whey-faced men of no distinction, vision or charisma as their leaders. Eventually the bond companies are going to drop our rating into the toilet, making it extremely difficult to borrow money, and then the party is going to stop and a lot of people are suddenly going to find they have no pensions and all those lovely government services are no more.

6 hours ago, Boges said:

Except if a bi-racial democrat is in office. Then you must pretend you're pre-revolutionary Americans protesting taxation from the British. 

My apologies, this is reckless thread drift. 

Hey now... the Tea Party was only concerned about the DEFICIT !  That's why they protested so vigorously when #45 started cutting taxes and increasing the deficit to 50X the size of Canada's in good times. Remember ?  They refused to sign bills, shut down congress... all of that.  And Paul Ryan fought really hard until Trump agreed to balance the budget just as they demanded.  I remember those times very very well.

Seriously, Ford and Harper reacted to their crises and good for them.

31 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Hey now... the Tea Party was only concerned about the DEFICIT !  That's why they protested so vigorously when #45 started cutting taxes and increasing the deficit to 50X the size of Canada's in good times. Remember ?  They refused to sign bills, shut down congress... all of that.  And Paul Ryan fought really hard until Trump agreed to balance the budget just as they demanded.  I remember those times very very well.

Seriously, Ford and Harper reacted to their crises and good for them.

Harper had a gun to his head though.