Should Don Cherry Have Been Fired?

Should Don Cherry Have Been Fired?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Boges said:

No Proof? His comments are his comments. Also in the Sportsnet statement they came to the conclusion to fire him after further discussions with Cherry. Obviously Cherry was given a chance to explain himself. 

And they didn't accept his explanation, despite it being perfectly adequate. You assuming they made the right decision makes no sense, there is nothing to indicate that is the case and plenty to indicate otherwise.

1 minute ago, Boges said:

It can be both. 

But it isn't. It's just about the poppy, it has nothing to do with race, so drop the race angle. Or discredit your entire argument so no one pays attention to the one good argument you have by burying it under an avalanche of dumb.

Edited by Yzermandius19

2 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

But it isn't. It's just about the poppy, it has nothing to do with race, so drop the race angle.

No I'm not. "You people . . . come here" has racial overtones. 

Communication matters. You're the one with the outlier opinion on this. 

Edited by Boges

7 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

But it isn't. It's just about the poppy, it has nothing to do with race, so drop the race angle.

Indeed, that's where Don is out of touch.

The poppy is a Legion thing, the Legion is not the military, they are civilians, and they threw Cherry under the bus too.

F@ck the Legion, I'll never wear their poppy again.

F@ck Canada.

Edited by Dougie93

2 minutes ago, Boges said:

No it doesn't. Sometimes racists use that phrase, but that doesn't mean everyone who uses that phrase is a racist, or saying anything racist. The racial overtones are all in your head, he attacks everyone who doesn't wear a poppy, all the damn time, far more often than he attacks immigrants for it as well.

Drop the racism angle, or keep making a fool of yourself, your choice.

Edited by Yzermandius19

3 hours ago, scribblet said:

Welcome to Canada where repeatedly wearing blackface gets you elected as PM but where having strong opinions on wearing a poppy gets you fired ... on Remembrance Day yet. 

That's not what got him elected - Conservatives poor choice of a leader is the culprit.  Blame your "base" for being out-of-touch with Canadians preference for a socially progressive government and electing someone who couldn't take a strong pro-LGBTQ+ or pro-choice stance.  Not to mention conservative's general inability to recognize racism, as evidenced by this thread.

6 minutes ago, dialamah said:

That's not what got him elected - Conservatives poor choice of a leader is the culprit.  Blame your "base" for being out-of-touch with Canadians preference for a socially progressive government and electing someone who couldn't take a strong pro-LGBTQ+ or pro-choice stance.  Not to mention conservative's general inability to recognize racism, as evidenced by this thread.

You don't know what racism is. Immigrant is not a race. You people don't even know basic english, because that might get in the way of seeing racism under every rock.

Edited by Yzermandius19

54 minutes ago, jacee said:

And ... clearly Don Cherry is unaware of the fact that 2.5m Indian soldiers fought for Britain, and 87,000 died.

The British Raj, as part of the Allied Nations, sent over two and a half million soldiers to fight under British command against the Axis powers....

Over 87,000 Indian soldiers (including those from modern day Pakistan, Nepal, and Bangladesh) died in World War II.[2] Field Marshal Sir Claude Auchinleck, Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army from 1942 asserted the British "couldn't have come through both wars [World War I and II] if they hadn't had the Indian Army."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_in_World_War_II

As usual, racism arises from ignorance of reality and an unwarranted sense of white superiority.

Also worth noting: POPPIES WERE HARD TO FIND THIS YEAR. 

There are few WWII vets left, and they were desperately looking for volunteers to sell them. 

The Legion is on its last legs, as it is stuck in WWI & WWII, and was incapable of welcoming or assisting more recent vets - eg,  from the Afghanistan campaign. The old guys did not want to deal with their PTSD, and their bitter realization that they'd been used in a war for oil and uranium for the profits of rich business interests. No glory in that.

Not sure what Cheery statement has to do with India's contribution to WW1 

Not sure what it had to do with India at all except someone got butt hurt and decided to have a penis measuring contest in the media.... But sine we got them out why don't we continue with your experiment....67,000 Canadians died in that conflict,   172,950 wounded , 600,000 men and women participated in the war by enlisting as nurses, soldiers and chaplains, with a total population of under 8 million people....to put that into context every town, village, city in Canada has a long list of those that did not return back home...

India  Over one million Indian troops served overseas, of whom 62,000 died and another 67,000 were wounded. well over 1,000,000 served, out of a population over over 390 million ….and while they did fight honorably no question, wearing the poopy in Canada has nothing to do with India........ The Canadian Poppy represents ALL  Canadian soldiers who fought and died in both wars, and it  is a symbol of the  promise that Canadian citizens made , that we would remember them ( those that gave their lives for this Nation), once again for the snow flakes out there, Canadian soldiers today come in all colors. creeds and religions. now you can put your di**s away...

The excuse that poppies are hard to find, is just that an "excuse" this event happens every year, since 1919....IF like the majority of Canadians , you buy more than one, one for your coat, your inside cloths, I'm always losing 3 or 4 etc,  once your done with the parade or NOV 11 keep one in a safe place so you will always have one....Bet no one forgets  Xmas do they...

Anyways it a moot point, it's not forced on anyone, wear what ever you like....or not wear, give thanks or don't give thanks....comes right down to it, It not about Canadians citizens anyways it's about it's soldiers and remembering the fallen. It's a sign of respect, do with it what you want.... 

The legion is a dyeing institution, A lot of the old vets did not think Afghanistan was a conflict, or war and was not worthy of todays soldiers having the veterans status... had nothing to do with PTSD, as that has been around since man picked up his first club and beat someone with it...it's been called a few names over the ages...but it is all the same thing..

As for that conflict being about oil and uranium, thats a crock of shit....plain and simple, there is no oil pipe lines, there are no new oil wells being drilled or no new mines when we were over there, the country was the wild west show, it was not secure enough for any of that....maybe try another one of those conspiracy theories.... And just for the record, there is no glory in any war...but what do I know...your the expert...

Cherry should have been fired or forced to appologies to many times before. Sexist, xenophobic, name it. After all he said on the women, russians, europeans, french, Québécois... there are tons of material to blame him for.

Now that he is fired on his "you people", I get double mad. Because after all he did wrong, he is fired of something he did nothing wrong.

There is nothing wrong by his opinion that immigrants should were a puppy. You may agree or desagree with him, but there is no blame of anything that holds the line. His sanction is not because he lied, statistically, it is true that the immigrants tend less to wear the poppy. The blame on him is because he blames them for not woring it.

This is one of many proof that this country is paralysed by the Trudeau's multiculturalism. You can defecate on women, french or any non-english white people but, don't you dare to say anything about immigrants. Even if it is true.

This is so sick.

--------------------------------------

Now, what I think about the opinion itself?

Imagine he says that to an indian from India. I am choosing that specific country because after discussing with few of them, I noticed that many of them (not all) do not know anything about the two world wars. They can't name the countries involved and they know only the original definition of the swatzika which is several thousands of years old. So of course, they know nothing about the poppy as well. Why should blame them? Because what they experienced of the suffering regarding wars and what they still remember, is the bloody religious war they have been through at the time of their independence of a conflict the british purposely put oil on fire and hold a big responsability in it. So who is going to tell them what flower to wear on what day... our british colony?

Maybe you prefer to take the example of Rwanda that suffered from a genocide in which Canada among others has its share of responsability as well? What flower on what day shall we dare to tell them to use?

Or what about Sudan where a Albertan Oil company paid para military organisation to create civil wars for the beefit of coastal oil company to pump the underswater ground while the mainland is fighting one against each others.

We are not the center of the universe and our involvements in wars and foreign conflicts are not always hands clean. This is why Cherry should have been more sensible. It is ok if he invites immigrants to buy a poppy. It's arrogant to blame them for not doing it. But in both cases, there is not even a start to discuss about conditions to fire him. This is clearly an assault against freedom of speech.

Edited by Benz

2 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

Anyways it a moot point, it's not forced on anyone, wear what ever you like....or not wear, give thanks or don't give thanks....comes right down to it, It not about Canadians citizens anyways it's about it's soldiers and remembering the fallen. It's a sign of respect, do with it what you want.... 

I don't respect the Legion, they don't represent me, they are not the spokesman for the Fallen

They throw Don Cherry under the bus for the Woke Cancel Culture mob, the Legion can go to hell, take their phony poppies with them.

21 minutes ago, Boges said:

Thats reaching a bit is it not.. please provide a source that states this sentence is racially charged....other than the media, who are busting his nuts  , mean while Justin gets a free pass for black face, out right lying to Canadians ,and thousands of other things  but then again cheery did not pay them 600 mil did he...

• Like 1

There's a civil war brewing in this land, people are gonna have to pick a side,  there is no middle ground.

The Legion civilians want to side with the left : good luck with that.

Don't come crying to me when the Woke cancel your Remembrance Day for being White Supremacist Settler Culture.  It's gonna happen.

Edited by Dougie93

Guest PPC2019

I hope he has a chance to retire in peace. I mean during your last years left... Do you always want to be working? I see people close to their 80's running for politics. People should have a few golden years before they die.

We'll i'm off for a bit. I'm trying to decide what takeout to get. I need something nutritious and cheap.

6 minutes ago, PPC2019 said:

I hope he has a chance to retire in peace. I mean during your last years left...

Nah, keep talking, he can say whatever he wants now, his followers are increasing because of this,

I haven't watched coaches corner in years, I'm on the internet between periods,

but this has rallied me back to Cherry, not for hockey, for his tireless and unapologetic support of the troops

Edited by Dougie93

Guest PPC2019
14 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

There's a civil war brewing in this land, people are gonna have to pick a side,  there is no middle ground.

The Legion civilians want to side with the left : good luck with that.

Don't come crying to me when the Woke cancel your Remembrance Day for being White Supremacist Settler Culture.  It's gonna happen.

Let's debate about that. 100 years ago... you were considered a Godless liberal if you believed in premarital sex. Some liberalism has allowed us to make our own choices. I stopped believing in liberalism when it went regressive, instead of progressive.

Late term abortions is regressive. Teaching gender dysphoria in schools is regressive. Endless deficits without fiscal-responsibility is regressive.

4 minutes ago, PPC2019 said:

Let's debate about that. 100 years ago... you were considered a Godless liberal if you believed in premarital sex. Some liberalism has allowed us to make our own choices. I stopped believing in liberalism when it went regressive, instead of progressive.

Late term abortions is regressive. Teaching gender dysphoria in schools is regressive. Endless deficits without fiscal-responsibility is regressive.

It's not about liberalism, the left are no liberals, they are self styled Progressives, they are the authoritarian left, totalitarian left, they are the New Puritans

The left are the ones who are killing sex,  the Woke say all sex is rape.

This is a cult.  Canada is Giant Jonestown.

Edited by Dougie93

Guest PPC2019
5 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

It's not about liberalism, the left are no liberals, they are self styled Progressives, they are the authoritarian left, totalitarian left, they are the New Puritans

Well the university professors Can't figure this one out. More and more, Universities have nothing to do with teaching academics, and everything to do with turning into an abstract philosophical society.

It might be cool for old timers to debate world issues, but they shouldn't expect 18 years to know how to save the world. I can't stand when professors used their students as activists pawns... right when preparing for their careers, until this time of extreme economic uncertainty.

Universities should be doing one thing... Preparing students to live a health life, and preparing them to join the workforce, and eventually create jobs.

Edited by PPC2019

7 minutes ago, SkyHigh said:

He should have been fired years ago, nothing to do with his politics though.

Hockey is becoming more and more a skill game, something Cherry has never known or cared about.

Rock'Eming and Sock'Eming is not what the NHL fan is looking for today, well not really since the 90's if we're being honest

Speak for yourself. Nerfing hockey is the lamest, No Hit League for the fail. Don Cherry Knows.

Edited by Yzermandius19

37 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

1) Not sure what Cheery statement has to do with India's contribution to WW1 

Not sure what it had to do with India at all except someone got butt hurt and decided to have a penis measuring contest in the media.... But sine we got them out why don't we continue with your experiment....67,000 Canadians died in that conflict,   172,950 wounded , 600,000 men and women participated in the war by enlisting as nurses, soldiers and chaplains, with a total population of under 8 million people....to put that into context every town, village, city in Canada has a long list of those that did not return back home...

India  Over one million Indian troops served overseas, of whom 62,000 died and another 67,000 were wounded. well over 1,000,000 served, out of a population over over 390 million ….and while they did fight honorably no question, wearing the poopy in Canada has nothing to do with India........ The Canadian Poppy represents ALL  Canadian soldiers who fought and died in both wars, and it  is a symbol of the  promise that Canadian citizens made , that we would remember them ( those that gave their lives for this Nation), once again for the snow flakes out there, Canadian soldiers today come in all colors. creeds and religions. now you can put your di**s away...

2)The excuse that poppies are hard to find, is just that an "excuse" this event happens every year, since 1919....IF like the majority of Canadians , you buy more than one, one for your coat, your inside cloths, I'm always losing 3 or 4 etc,  once your done with the parade or NOV 11 keep one in a safe place so you will always have one....Bet no one forgets  Xmas do they...

3)The legion is a dyeing institution, A lot of the old vets did not think Afghanistan was a conflict, or war and was not worthy of todays soldiers having the veterans status... had nothing to do with PTSD, as that has been around since man picked up his first club and beat someone with it...it's been called a few names over the ages...but it is all the same thing..

4)As for that conflict being about oil and uranium, thats a crock of shit....plain and simple, there is no oil pipe lines, there are no new oil wells being drilled or no new mines when we were over there, the country was the wild west show, it was not secure enough for any of that....maybe try another one of those conspiracy theories.... And just for the record, there is no glory in any war...but what do I know...your the expert...

1) Then you didn't read the post I was replying to: That Cherry was referring to "you people" in Toronto/Mississauga where he lives, South Asian people. 

2) The old WWII vet on TV said they haven't got enough people to sell poppies anymore. 

3) He also said the younger vets weren't interested in volunteering to sell poppies, and they're "screwed up".

4) Afghanistan has the biggest deposits of uranium known in the world. Maybe you didn't see evidence of roads being built, hydro transmission put in, trucks in and out ... none related to army business but private companies ... but other Canadian soldiers did see that. 

Edited by jacee

Guest PPC2019
Just now, jacee said:

1) Then you didn't read what I was responding to: That Cherry was referring to "you people" in Toronto/Mississauga where he lives, South Asian people. 

2) The old WWII vet on TV said they haven't got enough people to sell poppies anymore. 

3) He also said the younger vets weren't interested in volunteering to sell poppies, and they're "screwed up".

4) Afghanistan has the biggest deposits of uranium known in the world. Maybe you didn't see evidence of roads being built, hydro transmission put in, trucks in and out ... none related to army business but private companies ... but other Canadian soldiers did see that. 

I also heard Afghanistan as the biggest supply of Lithium in the world. Their getting ready for mass extraction.... when the electric cars begin.