Should Don Cherry Have Been Fired?

Should Don Cherry Have Been Fired?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Yzermandius19 said:

He did clarify. Still fired. He said all Canadians should wear poppies, you just ignore it.

Don Cherry is an equal opportunity slammer of Canadians he finds to be unpatriotic and not supportive enough of the troops. Pretending he only slams the immigrants for this is clear cut case of never having actually listened to Don Cherry.

He said so in an interview last night, after he was fired. Perhaps he can still get his job back, but he'll need to eat some crow. 

He said "You people. . . Come Here".  Easily identifiable as immigrants. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Yzermandius19 said:

You suspect incorrectly, apologizing simply empowers the cancel culture, but they have a double standard for people whose politics they like versus those they don't like, just like you.

What a Trumpian philosophy. The apology worked for JT, the lack of one didn't for Cherry. 

2 minutes ago, Boges said:

He said so in an interview last night, after he was fired. Perhaps he can still get his job back, but he'll need to eat some crow. 

He said "You people. . . Come Here".  Easily identifiable as immigrants. 

So what? Including immigrants shouldn't get him fired, anymore than calling out other Canadians for doing the same should get him fired. Enough of your blatant double standard virtue signalling.

Edited by Yzermandius19

What a Trumpian philosophy. The apology worked for JT, the lack of one didn't for Cherry. 

That's because JT is one with the woke cancel culture, so he gets a pass. You simply side with SJW's cancelling people who don't agree with, because you are one with them too. Obvious partisan hackery is obvious.

Edited by Yzermandius19

So what? Including immigrants shouldn't get him fired.

Your sensibilities aren't shared by the people Rogers are clearly courting. That's not something that can be debated. Your opinion is yours. 

My parents and wife are immigrants, it's deeply troubling that they would be singled out as not participating in this annual patriotic litmus test. 

BTW he did get an opportunity to save his job. He choose not to. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/i-don-t-regret-a-thing-don-cherry-speaks-out-on-his-firing-and-ron-maclean-1.4680203

“I could’ve stayed on if I wanted to and knuckled under, and turned into a simp, but that’s not my style,” Cherry said Monday night in an interview with Toronto radio station Newstalk 1010. “I’m unemployed now after 38 years. It’s kind of strange to be unemployed, halfway through the season. And of all days Remembrance Day. It’s sad.”

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

Cherry has been Cherry for decades, long before Canadian media invented "Trumpian" excuses.

Cherry was Trump....before Trump.  

I'm simply referring to the idea that an apology is a sign of weakness. 

Clearly Don Cherry's importance to Rogers/CBC's bottom line has lessened in recent years. 

Your sensibilities aren't shared by the people Rogers are clearly courting. That's not something that can be debated. Your opinion is yours. 

My parents and wife are immigrants, it's deeply troubling that they would be singled out as not participating in this annual patriotic litmus test. 

BTW he did get an opportunity to save his job. He choose not to. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/i-don-t-regret-a-thing-don-cherry-speaks-out-on-his-firing-and-ron-maclean-1.4680203

Rogers can burn in hell for all eternity. If you don't want to watch Don Cherry, don't watch Don Cherry, stop trying to force that decision on others, by supporting him being cancelled because he isn't a cuck. You not wanting to watch him is not grounds for calling for him to be cancelled. Stop supporting cancel culture.

Edited by Yzermandius19

Cherry's remarks clearly angered more than just the Woke brigade on Twitter. 

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/don-cherry-hnic-you-people-hockey-coachs-corner

The organization that maintains broadcast standards says it can no longer handle anymore complaints about Don Cherry’s “you people” comment that he made on live television Saturday.

“The (Canadian Broadcasting Standards Council) has received a large number of very similar complaints concerning Coach’s Corner broadcast on CBC (Sportsnet) on November 9, 2019, exceeding the CBSC’s technical processing capacities,” a notice on the website read.

“Accordingly, while the CBSC will be dealing with this broadcast under its normal process, it is not able to accept any further complaints.”

I suspect a Millenial wouldn't even know what number to call to reach the CBSC. 

Cherry's remarks clearly angered more than just the Woke brigade on Twitter. 

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/don-cherry-hnic-you-people-hockey-coachs-corner

I suspect a Millenial wouldn't even know what number to call to reach the CBSC. 

It angered people with no good reason to be offended. Going around demanding people be cancelled because they are offended is lame, and so are you for supporting it.

Edited by Yzermandius19

3 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Rogers can burn in hell for all eternity. If you don't want to watch Don Cherry, don't watch Don Cherry, stop trying to force that decision on others, by supporting him being cancelled because he isn't a cuck.

Well considering his wife is dead. Yes he's not a cuck. He can't enjoy watching his wife have sex with other men. 

Cuck is perhaps the dumbest pejorative I've ever heard. 

If anyone is a Cuck it's Donald Trump. Dude has a Mail-Order bride that fawns over foreign leaders. 

2573.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

Edited by Boges

Well considering his wife is dead. Yes he's not a cuck. He can't enjoy watching his wife have sex with other men. 

Cuck is perhaps the dumbest pejorative I've ever heard. 

If anyone is a Cuck it's Donald Trump. Dude has a Mail-Order bride that fawns over foreign leaders. 

2573.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

Way to deflect from the actual point being made with a complete non-sequitur to your Trump Derangement Syndrome. Further proof you refuse to argue in good faith.

Edited by Yzermandius19

2 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Way to deflect from the actual point being made with a complete non-sequitur to your Trump Derangement Syndrome. Further proof you refuse to argue in good faith.

No more than using the term Cuck to defend Cherry not backing down from saying something plainly racist. 

If you're a stubborn racist, you're not a cuck! 

Edited by Boges

4 minutes ago, Boges said:

I'm simply referring to the idea that an apology is a sign of weakness. 

Clearly Don Cherry's importance to Rogers/CBC's bottom line has lessened in recent years. 

So this idea didn't exist before "Trump" and all things "Trumpian" ?

Canada and Rogers/CBC not only tolerated but encouraged Cherry's candid on air persona for decades...America even got him on ESPN and NBC.

Good for Don Cherry....the PC folk can kiss his ass on the way out.

No more than using the term Cuck to defend Cherry not backing down from saying something plainly racist. 

If you're a stubborn racist, you're not a cuck! 

He said nothing racist. He calls out everyone, not just immigrants. All you do is argue in bad faith with baseless accusations and mind reading.

You are a terrible judge of what is and isn't racist, just because you think something is racist, does not make it so.

Edited by Yzermandius19

So this idea didn't exist before "Trump" and all things "Trumpian" ?

Canada and Rogers/CBC not only tolerated but encouraged Cherry's candid on air persona for decades...America even got him on ESPN and NBC.

Good for Don Cherry....the PC folk can kiss his ass on the way out.

I don't think they encouraged politically motivated tirades. They most certainly tolerated it. But no more. His treatment of the French and Europeans in the NHL is notorious. I guess the world finally left him behind. 

1 minute ago, Boges said:

I don't think they encouraged politically motivated tirades. They most certainly tolerated it. But no more. His treatment of the French and Europeans in the NHL is notorious. I guess the world finally left him behind. 

Which is a terrible thing, not a good thing. Cancel Culture is not a good thing, stop supporting it.

He said nothing racist. He calls out everyone, not just immigrants, you are so dumb.

Well you resorted to an ad hominem attack. Good job!

He singled out people who come to this country. He could have said, people who don't don't wear poppy's aren't showing the proper respect to veterans. He said something that specifically targeted immigrants. 

Well you resorted to an ad hominem attack. Good job!

He singled out people who come to this country. He could have said, people who don't don't wear poppy's aren't showing the proper respect to veterans. He said something that specifically targeted immigrants. 

He has said that, on numerous occasions, but because he included immigrants one time, you claim racism and support him being fired.

Edited by Yzermandius19

Just now, Yzermandius19 said:

Which is a terrible thing, not a good thing. Cancel Culture is not a good thing, stop supporting it.

Cherry had the opportunity to not be "Cancelled". 

If I do something my employer doesn't approve of and gives me a chance to rectify it. And I refuse. It's on me if I get fired. 

That's fine....another piece of "Canadian culture" has also been left behind.

...and it has nothing to do with Donald Trump.

Cherry had the opportunity to not be "Cancelled". 

If I do something my employer doesn't approve of and gives me a chance to rectify it. And I refuse. It's on me if I get fired. 

No one is arguing Rogers can't fire him, we are arguing it's a stupid idea, that you support.

Edited by Yzermandius19

That's fine....another piece of "Canadian culture" has also been left behind.

...and it has nothing to do with Donald Trump.

If people stop watching HNIC because they can't get 10 minutes of Don Cherry, I suspect they didn't even like Hockey to begin with. 

Again I only referenced Trump in regards to the idea that you should never apologize for anything.