Who could effectively oppose Trudeau in the next election?

Icur12c

On 12/22/2018 at 9:56 AM, JamesHackerMP said:

Why are people opposed to Trudeau? Just curious.

He didn't decriminalize pot in the process leading to legalization and he didn't cancel the LAV deal with Saudi Arabia.

My benefit of doubt was pretty much exhausted by day 3 of his taking office.

2 hours ago, turningrite said:

Polling results have become confusing. While some put the Lib party marginally ahead, a recent poll suggests that Trudeau's personal popularity has declined significantly and now sits at a 35 percent favorable rating (lower than Trump's in the U.S.) compared to a 63 percent unfavorable rating. And let's not forget that several weeks prior to the 2015 election the NDP appeared poised to capture government while Trudeau's Libs looked to be headed back to their seats on the opposition side. In competition with a wooden, over-managed and uncomfortably smiling Mulcair, who hitherto had been one of the most effective opposition leaders since Diefenbaker, Trudeau's burnished, sunny image pushed his party into the lead. But now he's the guy with the baggage. How many voters can be fooled in 2019? It will in my opinion be a much more difficult task for the self-styled emperor with the famous name who has truly demonstrated that he has no clothes (although he does have costumes, as we've realized to our collective embarrassment) to run on image alone this time around. At least most should now understand that budgets don't balance themselves and "sunny ways" can't solve all problems.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/12/19/trudeau-approval-rating-poll_a_23622710/

It seems to me Bricker (ispo?) has trudeau ahead and says that scheer will need to stumble for him to win. LOL Bicker is a paid liberal lackey IMO.Trudeau will not win. Even the CBC is starting to jump ship. And I just heard that the pension for vets instead of a lump payout is actually less money then the payout and of  course he understands what vets go thru because he is a drunk. Pathetic.

There Is so much to show in the next election of trudeaus lies and insults. This could be the biggest defeat in federal liberal history. I like the one how he says he would only have a modest deficit. The one problem is how dumb the NDP were in picking thier leader. All in the name of political correctness. And it killed their party.

On 12/22/2018 at 12:52 AM, bush_cheney2004 said:

Well, clearly the weak, virtue signaling style has not worked for Trudeau in foreign relations.

The successful candidate will likely leave his fancy socks at home when it comes to domestic or foreign policy.

Honestly, considering the numbers of Trump's cabinet members and advisers whom have been chosen by President Trump in person and then have been fired or force resigned by President Trump in person within less than 2 years, I don't think any Canadian PM could do better on "foreign relations" if you meant relation with US.

3 minutes ago, xul said:

Honestly, considering the numbers of Trump's cabinet members and advisers whom have been chosen by President Trump in person and then have been fired or force resigned by President Trump in person within less than 2 years, I don't think any Canadian PM could do better on "foreign relations" if you meant relation with US.

Nope....Trudeau has fumbled badly with other nations too (India, Saudis, China, Japan, Mexico, etc.)...so it isn't just Trump.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2018 at 12:56 PM, JamesHackerMP said:

There are many reasons.....I'm sure the No.1 reason is no reason since there are too many idiots out there who rant, whine, hate, swear...for no reason even no cause---though I'm also  sure some psychiatrists will classify the cause as paranoia.:P These could happen on any politician who is in power.

The other reasons may be caused by Trudeau himself.

It seems like Trudeau didn't realize that his victory in the last election was because of economic situation then, not because suddenly there were so many voters whom emerged from some graveyards like zombies to embrace Liberals ideology. So his correct strategy should be to show Canadians that their new PM is busying 24 hrs a day on economic issue. I know Canadian PM has less power to affect economy but at least he can pretend doing something like Trump on Twitter----"dear Canadian, your PM is negotiating trade deal today"; "dear Canadian, you PM is planing to build a wall to secure our border", "Dear Canadian, your PM is considering to buy 1000 F-35 to guard our sky"....LOL:lol:

Instead of doing or pretending to do something which could make important to him, he has done too many political-correct trifle which steal the spotlight from more important issues. Such activities give most Canadian the impression that he would certainly be victorious on the next election of Canadian No.1 Playboy....:D:(

Edited by xul

9 hours ago, turningrite said:

Polling results have become confusing. While some put the Lib party marginally ahead, a recent poll suggests that Trudeau's personal popularity has declined significantly and now sits at a 35 percent favorable rating (lower than Trump's in the U.S.) compared to a 63 percent unfavorable rating. And let's not forget that several weeks prior to the 2015 election the NDP appeared poised to capture government while Trudeau's Libs looked to be headed back to their seats on the opposition side. In competition with a wooden, over-managed and uncomfortably smiling Mulcair, who hitherto had been one of the most effective opposition leaders since Diefenbaker, Trudeau's burnished, sunny image pushed his party into the lead. But now he's the guy with the baggage. How many voters can be fooled in 2019? It will in my opinion be a much more difficult task for the self-styled emperor with the famous name who has truly demonstrated that he has no clothes (although he does have costumes, as we've realized to our collective embarrassment) to run on image alone this time around. At least most should now understand that budgets don't balance themselves and "sunny ways" can't solve all problems.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/12/19/trudeau-approval-rating-poll_a_23622710/

I quite agree that voters were taken in by Trudeau's boyish good looks and charm; especially compared to Harper and Mulcair.  And I expect that he is in for a tough fight for re-election.  However, a number of factors still weigh in his favour.  One is the weakness of the opposition leaders he faces - Scheer and Singh do not seem up to the task. 

BTW - "the budget will balance itself" is fairly accurate as long as the GDP grows faster than the debt which is did up until the last budget.  Of course, the government cannot continue to increase the debt or that goes straight out the window. 

On 12/22/2018 at 12:56 PM, JamesHackerMP said:

From the OP, it's just looney misinformation.  Some non-binding UN resolution is now apparently the most pressing thing our government faces.  Never mind that our economy needs to be redesigned, that superpowers are using us as pawns, or that we are disunified.

Or... that seemingly intelligent people are somehow picking up conspiracy theories as important political issues.  Apparently even Sheer mentioned it :D 

On 12/22/2018 at 1:37 PM, bcsapper said:

I think it's a tossup between two factors.

1) He's useless.

2) He's an extremely annoying, smarmy git.

I oppose him more due to the latter.  Most politicians are useless.

Those are both valid points.  But the opposition offers neither enough style or substance for most Canadians to take a gamble.  After the election, they will hopefully have two better opposition politicians to pick from.

30 minutes ago, -TSS- said:

Does it look like he is going to lead his party to another election-victory? I thought most people in Canada are fed up with him, not least because is a bit of an embarassment at the helm of the government. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/grenier-year-end-polls-1.4953867

Unclear.  Trudeau is by no means popular but the opposition isn't attractive either.  Don't believe what you read in MLW, it's not indicative of the general election as they don't put voting booths under bridges.  

4 hours ago, JamesHackerMP said:

Why does it seem like some of Trudeau's supporters always run for cover by saying "at least he's not Donald Trump"? Is Trump in the running for prime minister of Canada?

Alas, this is a very common refrain and coping mechanism in Canada / Canadian media...long before Trump.   "Trumpian" things are what dominate today, but it will be some other "murican" thing in the future.

On 12/22/2018 at 11:56 AM, JamesHackerMP said:

Trudeau seems to get the blame for issues over which he has no control. The NAFTA talks were complicated by a US government without a coherent policy. His attempt at electoral reform was blocked by the NDP.  His attempt to expand the pipeline carrying Alberta's bitumen to the coast has been blocked by the government of BC. The on going tensions with China over the extradition of a powerful Chinese business woman is an issue over which he is not allowed to intervene. He was the only leader in the last election who promised a deficit. That it is much larger than anticipated is due to the contradiction that people wanted to have more services but refuse to pay taxes to pay for them. (Just like President Trump?) He is also faced with a lot of push-back from climate change deniers. 

He has created some of his own problems. He had a disastrous trade mission to India. He occasionally makes flippant remarks that don't come across as humorous as he expected. 

So far, most of the people he has offended are people who never liked him in the first place and look for any reason to confirm it.  Most hated his father as well.

I don't dislike Trudeau, but there are people who could do better. I'm still on the fence with Sheer. I think Lisa Raitt would do better, but she did poorly in the leadership race.

23 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Trudeau seems to get the blame for issues over which he has no control. The NAFTA talks were complicated by a US government without a coherent policy.

Trudeau's "feminist agenda" was also incoherent...he brought a knife to a NAFTA gun fight.

51 minutes ago, -TSS- said:

Trudeau is an internationally well-known politician. It is by means at all outside Canada considered to be general knowledge to know who is the PM of Canada but Trudeau is known all over the world.

Because he's "not Trump", it would seem?

Edited by JamesHackerMP

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

From the OP, it's just looney misinformation.  Some non-binding UN resolution is now apparently the most pressing thing our government faces. 

Name one person who has made such a suggestion, please.

2 hours ago, -TSS- said:

Trudeau is an internationally well-known politician. It is by means at all outside Canada considered to be general knowledge to know who is the PM of Canada but Trudeau is known all over the world.

I would prefer someone competent and knowledgeable to a celebrity.

2 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Trudeau seems to get the blame for issues over which he has no control. The NAFTA talks were complicated by a US government without a coherent policy.

True, and by his determination to insert viritue signalling leftist clauses about gender equality and union rights and climate warming. Not to mention there is no way Trump would take a shallow, smiley fool like him seriously.

His attempt at electoral reform was blocked by the NDP.  

That's pretty much an outright lie. His attempt at election reform was blocked by the fact the people clearly didn't like the type of reform that the Liberals thought would most benefit them.

His attempt to expand the pipeline carrying Alberta's bitumen to the coast has been blocked by the government of BC.

That's nonsense. It's blocked by his fear of losing votes in the lower mainland come next election. The BC government has no ability to block the pipeline if the federal government determines it's in the national interest.

The on going tensions with China over the extradition of a powerful Chinese business woman is an issue over which he is not allowed to intervene.

But influenced by their perception of him as a lightweight weakling (which he is).

He was the only leader in the last election who promised a deficit. That it is much larger than anticipated is due to the contradiction that people wanted to have more services but refuse to pay taxes to pay for them.

People always want services and don't want to pay for them. The politicians who give them that tend to be venal, self-serving people who care nothing for the country and only for their own success. Blaming the people for his lack of intestinal fortitude is rich. Nor is it evident he ever intended to do as he promised since his very first deficit was twice the size he promised, as have all the ones following it. He promised to be back in surplus within four years, not forty.

He is also faced with a lot of push-back from climate change deniers. 

No, he's faced with pushback by people who think his plan is stupid and won't accomplish anything. Largely because it's stupid and won't accomplish anything.

20 hours ago, PIK said:

There Is so much to show in the next election of trudeaus lies and insults. This could be the biggest defeat in federal liberal history. I like the one how he says he would only have a modest deficit. The one problem is how dumb the NDP were in picking thier leader. All in the name of political correctness. And it killed their party.

I wish I could agree but IMO he'll win the next election, possible with only a minority.    Too many people still prefer hair, looks, socks and a vacuous drone to a competent PM. 

19 minutes ago, Argus said:

Name one person who has made such a suggestion, please.

Scribblet: "Very Alarming"
Angus T: "Very disturbing" Trudeau and his vision "Greatest threat"
Turningrite:  "[hope to get]a sensible government that rejects this kind of globalist nonsense."
Centerpiece: "We are sleep-walking to a Canada that no one will recognize."
Ironstone: "
 yes,our Liberal government will be perfectly happy to take it's marching orders from the UN at least as far as opening up the borders for mass migration is concerned."
Goddess: "governments don't tell the people what they're really up to."

That's all I have time for right now.  All of these posters are prioritizing some bullshit that the UN will somehow have power over Canada.  This is Agenda 21 all over again.

The sad thing is that mainstream conservatives such as yourself don't put more of an effort into discounting them.  Apparently even Andrew Sheer has to feed the trolls.  You party is declining.

Talking about something is not 'prioritizing' it. I think the thing is progressive crap of no substance myself, so I'm certainly not going to defend it. And I think it represents a sentiment I oppose, which is that we should be more accepting and allow more migrants. In concert with his propaganda efforts on increasing immigration it strikes me as very much in tune with his view of an open borders world. And why have borders anyway if Canada has no central identity or culture and immigration and migration are economically beneficial (they're not but many, including Trudeau say otherwise)?

Besides, while the thing has no legal weight I would not be the least surprised to see Trudeau putting in policies and changing laws to match it, while using it as an excuse as to why they need to do so.

All of those posters are talking about it as though it is important.

In fact, it means nothing.  They could talk about it as virtue signalling and they would have a point.  But it can't be both fake virtue signalling and a real thing that we're going to do.

I think that old school conservative Canadians need to step up.

4 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

All of those posters are talking about it as though it is important.

In fact, it means nothing.  They could talk about it as virtue signalling and they would have a point.  But it can't be both fake virtue signalling and a real thing that we're going to do.

I think that old school conservative Canadians need to step up.

How many old school conservatives have you ever met? There aren't a lot, from the looks of it, in the Conservative party.

I can tell you old school conservatives are traditionalists who value their country and its culture, values and identity, and feel all are threatened by indiscriminate large scale immigration and uncontrolled migration of people from places with wildly different (and hostile) cultures, values and beliefs.

I can also tell you that old school conservatives are not impressed by the importation of people who are poor, unskilled, uneducated and can't speak English, because unlike in generations past they represent an enormous fiscal burden on an already overburdened state.

I can also tell you old school conservatives believe in freedom of speech and expression and really don't see anything wrong with people ranting about stuff, whether that stuff is vitally important or not.

Edited by Argus