End of the Korean War

betsy

Though it's not being acknowledged by the biased media (and anti-Trumps)..........we cant's deny it's the end-result of Trump's strategy.   From the threats, the chest-puffing to applying pressures on China to do more to put pressure on North Korea, and definitely largely due to Trump's unpredictability........all those are contributing factors on the historical moment we've watched today.

I watched the diplomatic, symbolical "dance" made by North and South Korea's leaders.   Two unprecedented historical moment - the end of war between north and south, and the promise to denuclearize by Kim Jong Un.

Let's hope this is for real, and simply not temporary.  He could just be riding this out til Trump is gone.

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

Sometimes standing firm against dictatorships and evil regimes works. A good example of that was Reagan who stood up against Soviet evil empire until it fell. North Korea can be another example for Trump however, we are not there yet. That said I don't think Trump's firm policy against another evil regime in ME is working at least not so far. Remains to be seen.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

I have yet to see a shred of evidence that anything in the way of improvement will result from all of this. North Korea is led by a brutal, murderous dictator whose concentration camps murder tens of thousands every year. This country has not kept a single promise it has made to the world community, has broken every solemn undertaken it has signed. No one knows what their motivation or goal is now, but anyone who thinks it's honorable clearly knows nothing whatsoever about them or their history.

If President Trump can close this deal, it would be the biggest U.S. foreign policy achievement since the Camp David Accords in 1978....Yuuuuuge !

And of course, all the Trump haters would have to figure out how to give credit to Obama or Hillary Clinton.

President Obama got a Nobel Peace Prize for far less.

Edited by bush_cheney2004
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

If President Trump can close this deal, it would be the biggest U.S. foreign policy achievement since the Camp David Accords in 1978....Yuuuuuge !

And of course, all the Trump haters would have to figure out how to give credit to Obama or Hillary Clinton.

President Obama got a Nobel Peace Prize for far less.

I agree with all 3 points.  I am currently trying to pre-figure a way to credit Obama for this, and near as I figure Denis Rodham voted for him.

This is an unprecedented step taken by NK.  It's happened under Trump's watch - after all those well-publicized back-and-forth between the two leaders.  And, with all the pressures put forth by Trump - there isn't any doubt that Kim Jong had decided he couldn't take the risk with Trump.   Trump is unpredictable.

I think Kim is simply going to ride this out until another patsy leader like Obama comes along.

Edited by betsy

As for the ME.....Trump had already secured what he wanted to happen:  that the ME help to fight terrorism, and to be an outspoken, very visible ally of Israel.   He's cementing relationship with some, like Saudi Arabia. 

As for ME countries fighting with each other, it comes as a bonus if he can broker a long-lasting peace among them.

We'll see what happens with the Iran deal. 

Edited by betsy

19 hours ago, Argus said:

I have yet to see a shred of evidence that anything in the way of improvement will result from all of this. North Korea is led by a brutal, murderous dictator whose concentration camps murder tens of thousands every year. This country has not kept a single promise it has made to the world community, has broken every solemn undertaken it has signed. No one knows what their motivation or goal is now, but anyone who thinks it's honorable clearly knows nothing whatsoever about them or their history.

Kim's goal is clear. He wants to stay in power as long as possible. 

All this show and grovelling goes to show what kind of power having nuclear weapons really has. Similarly explains why countries which have nuclear weapons don't want anyone else to have them.

We are certainly in a better place now than we were a few months ago. At least they are not threatening to bomb the hell out of one another with nukes. Folks in Hawaii can relax a little. Hard to say what's going to happen but for now disaster has been averted. I think it would be a major improvement if they declare the war has ended, officially, and begin a new era of improved relations.

Perhaps Kim Jong Un is a narcissist, and sees himself as the saviour of the Korean people. As long as he gets what he wants, he will be so nice.
But if we ever betray him... 

Edited by OftenWrong

Yup, single smartest thing that North Korea ever did was build nukes.  South Korea got lucky because North Korea built nukes - or the US would have already turned it into Hawaii - Where Zuckerburg buys land for hundreds of millions and then sues the natives off their land.

The greatest bargaining chip in history, the nuke.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2018 at 12:10 AM, eyeball said:

With any luck Trump will be as hard-nosed with China and Russia and force them to disarm too.  I'd really like to see that.

Go Trump Go! 

I have a feeling it was not really Trump but China that is telling North Korea what to do.

Personally I'm not greatly encouraged by events.

We can only imagine what will happen when the world’s biggest egos – Trump and Kim Jong-un – finally meet

In reality time is too short for such a document to emerge in any case, but the broader, brighter picture is that events are moving at such a pace that it is more likely than not that significant further steps will be taken, and that North Korea may indeed begin the process of re-entry to the international family of nations.

Whether Mr Kim will also be stimulated and inspired by his surroundings in Singapore – a freewheeling, prosperous capitalist paradise, which nonetheless retains some authoritarian political traits – can only be matter of conjecture. Maybe someone wanted to drop a hint.

The sad reality is that many world leaders are increasingly stimulated by authoritarian traits.  From Trudeau's admiration for China and Trumps congrats to Putin...I think if Orwell were alive he'd be shaking his head in rue and wondering why everyone was so nonchalant about the respectability being afforded dictators these days. 

Edited by eyeball

Good Gawed I agree with Eye. It happens. I need a colonic irrigation. That said, I also believe North Korea is playing. They blew up their nuclear test site on themselves. Now they want to suddenly pretend they are dismantling it? Hah.

By the way North Korea has engaged in this m.o. continuously i.e., threaten to blow up the world,  bring it to the brink, pull back, get maximum benefit, wait a year, then start the cycle all over again. Its done it to Carter, Clinton, both Bushes, Obama and now Trump. During the Reagan era, North Korea stayed quiet as the Russian Empire crumbled and China went through a massive state capitalization reorganization. It stayed quiet as well during the Vietnam war. A lot of that has to do with China. The practical reality is China calls its shots not North Korea. The Fat Boy exists because China allows him to exist, period.

China has its sites set on expanding in the South China Sea and does not want North Korea giving Japan an excuse to militarize and the US a reason to remain in large naval numbers in the area.

China is preoccupied with Taiwan, Japan and Vietnam over  territorial sea disputes.

I personally believe China is the greater danger to the region.  I don't under-estimate the Fat Boy could cause a war and is running a brutal fascist regime but in the big picture China has the most lethal forces in the area and I think its a matter of time until Japan remilitarizes and we see it replacing the US as China's counter force in the area.

Japan is working on state of the art fighter aircraft for a nation that is demilitarized.

• 4 weeks later...

Each country involved - Russia, China, the US, the Koreas, Japan - has a quite separate agenda which suggests this problem cannot be solved by one chat. Perhaps it can, and all credit to Trump if he manages this unlikely feat, but the North Koreans are past masters at making promises and not delivering. Why would they give up the one thing that makes them significant? The problem in any deal will be in implementation and verification. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am, I must admit, finally convinced Trump is indeed a great salesman and a first rate showman on top of it —no one and I mean no one could ever sell so much bullshit as an “historic event” — and everyone (with very few exception) are drinking the Kool-Aid— I lost count of how many news outlets friends and foes to Trump were gargling the words “historic summit” —

Read the document they have signed forward and backward— there is nothing there — NK has committed to nothing — it’s just a gimmick— a sideshow, a diversionary tactic, first and foremost to make Obama look weak and wimpy and second prepare the groundwork for war with Iran— and above all make Trump look grandiose and a man of historical significance —

There’s no business like show business —the man mastered that game and is now thriving at it —

A state department under the direction of an illiterate racist Islamophobe who thinks Singapore belongs to Malaysia is now credited with masterminding this charade — and a mafioso gangster who just weeks ago tore a globally endorsed airtight nuclear agreement with Iran Advertised himself as the most trustworthy partner to signing a nuclear deal with NK!

Somebody is taken for a fool and that someday ain’t Kim Jong UN!

On 6/22/2018 at 4:48 AM, marcus said:

I am, I must admit, finally convinced Trump is indeed a great salesman and a first rate showman on top of it —no one and I mean no one could ever sell so much bullshit as an “historic event” — and everyone (with very few exception) are drinking the Kool-Aid— I lost count of how many news outlets friends and foes to Trump were gargling the words “historic summit” —

Read the document they have signed forward and backward— there is nothing there — NK has committed to nothing — it’s just a gimmick— a sideshow, a diversionary tactic, first and foremost to make Obama look weak and wimpy and second prepare the groundwork for war with Iran— and above all make Trump look grandiose and a man of historical significance —

There’s no business like show business —the man mastered that game and is now thriving at it —

A state department under the direction of an illiterate racist Islamophobe who thinks Singapore belongs to Malaysia is now credited with masterminding this charade — and a mafioso gangster who just weeks ago tore a globally endorsed airtight nuclear agreement with Iran Advertised himself as the most trustworthy partner to signing a nuclear deal with NK!

Somebody is taken for a fool and that someday ain’t Kim Jong UN!

We will see, its too soon to draw conclusion. But the point is this, we gave the Korean a chance in a life time to prove their resolve and rejoin the international community. So you Anti-Trumper can't say he didn't try...