Doug Ford - leader of Ontario PCs

16 hours ago, Argus said:

You are not going to hold Russia, China or India, or a lot of other countries, to some artificial limit a to how much power they can generate or how they can generate it. 

If you are in a boat the is taking on water,and some Russians and Chinese are putting water into the boat, do you give up and stop bailing or do you bail harder to overcome their actions?

16 hours ago, Argus said:

Only technological innovation is going to do anything to reverse CO2 emissions by any substantial degree

Agreed. We need to transition to nuclear power. Presumably, Mr. Ford is an intelligent man. You would think that when credible physicists like the late Professor Hawking say we need to stop emitting carbon, any intelligent person would listen. 

1 hour ago, Queenmandy85 said:

So you are advocating rationing. That is what Ford and Moe must be planning, or do you believe they are morons?

Where did I say that and - rationing what?    Carbon taxes do nothing to stop emissions but will hurt the economy and low income earners.   If more provinces push back against the Feds, it could change.

So what are you suggesting a Ford government do to eliminate most carbon emissions as we transition into non-carbon sources of energy? Building nuclear reactors and electrifying and expanding rail transportation will create a lot of jobs. What choice is there? When do we start taking action? We've known this was coming for almost 50 years. We should have started reducing emissions in the 1970's but "it would have hurt the economy." Well, it's like the oil filtre commercial, "you can pay me now, (Oil filtre) or pay me later (seized engine)."

Edited by Queenmandy85

47 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

His interaction with CBC hosts have been weird. Just sounds like every other politician out there.

Childish, petulant remarks will get the headlines if you are foolish enough to make them. The media are obliged to challenge him. It's not personal, Doug. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/03/13/doug-ford-sure-disliked-a-lot-of-questions-in-this-cbc-interview_a_23384590/

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

2 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

If you are in a boat the is taking on water,and some Russians and Chinese are putting water into the boat, do you give up and stop bailing or do you bail harder to overcome their actions?

Not quite the same, but if they're pouring money in with buckets it's really pointless to try and bail with a cup. However, Canada is not in a rowboat. We have the ability to largely insulate ourselves from most of the adverse impacts of climate change.

2 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Agreed. We need to transition to nuclear power. 

It would take at least ten years of hearing and studies against fanatical opposition from the same people who are fighting climate change before you could possibly build even one new nuclear plant in Canada.

2 hours ago, Argus said:

We have the ability to largely insulate ourselves from most of the adverse impacts of climate change.

I don't see how. The methane locked in the perma-frost is starting to be released.  The effects of the greenhouse will impact the globe. 

2 hours ago, Argus said:

It would take at least ten years of hearing and studies against fanatical opposition from the same people who are fighting climate change before you could possibly build even one new nuclear plant in Canada.

That is an indictment of the education system. People seem to think we are simply facing hot weather and sea level rise of a few dozen metres. The government and education system need to point out what happens when sea level stops rising and begins to fall as evaporation increases. Human beings are quite capable of making rational decisions when given accurate information. The difficulty is allowing people to leave school without a solid grounding in the hard sciences.I, like Mr. Ford, am a victim of that education system. We need to take the example of President Reagan, who understood his limitations and surrounded himself with people who were smarter than he was...and he had the wisdom to listen to them. 

Huge thread drift. 

BTW Carbon pricing does nothing. People still want freedom of movement and will pay for it. 

The government wants people to move to EVs but the price point is still out of most people's range even with the Subsidies. Also, you'd have to live in a Single Family Home and never go on Road Trips to justify having an EV. 

Also, I was at the Auto Show a few weeks ago. Almost all conventional Gas powered cars have similar Mileage as my 2012 model. 

Edited by Boges

16 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

I've been trying to keep this about Doug Ford. He promised to end taxing carbon. I just hope he has an alternate plan to  replace carbon as an energy source. He has the opportunity to be a great premier if he makes the right choices.

And I'll say that Carbon pricing doesn't do that. It's just a money grab. 

Even with the Carbon Pricing, we still pay less for gas than we did 10 years ago when oil was $100/barrel plus. 

For communities that do have commuter public transit, it's extraordinarily expensive. 

It popped into my mind the other day but Lorrie Goldstein summed it up nicely in today's Sun. Kathleen Wynne clearly stated that because Ford was cancelling the Carbon Tax, 40,000 government jobs were at risk. She made a direct connection that her carbon tax is going to pay for public sector salaries - not for "investments" in the environment. But then - we all knew that, right?

http://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/h-wynne-spills-the-beans-on-carbon-pricing

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

I don't see how. The methane locked in the perma-frost is starting to be released.  The effects of the greenhouse will impact the globe. 

So the earth gets warmer. But Canada is a very cold nation. Getting warmer will have challenges, but also benefits. Areas that were no good for farming, for example, might become productive. We will have to see about protecting some coastal cities, but we don't have many of those compared to others.

21 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

That is an indictment of the education system. People seem to think we are simply facing hot weather and sea level rise of a few dozen metres. The government and education system need to point out what happens when sea level stops rising and begins to fall as evaporation increases.

All anyone is talking about is rising sea levels, not falling. And that is for many, many decades in the future. 

On 3/14/2018 at 7:33 AM, Queenmandy85 said:

Fortunately, the Federal Government will take care of pricing carbon regardless of what Mr. Ford does.

On 3/14/2018 at 12:37 PM, Boges said:

Huge thread drift. 

Perhaps...EVERYTHING is political after all. 

BTW Carbon pricing does nothing. People still want freedom of movement and will pay for it.

That's interesting... I understand Ford wants to let the free market take care of pot regardless of what Ottawa says.  I don't live in Ontario but he just won my support. 

Go Doug Go!

On 3/14/2018 at 10:33 AM, Queenmandy85 said:

Fortunately, the Federal Government will take care of pricing carbon regardless of what Mr. Ford does.

That will be interesting. There is a federal election next year. There is a good chance that Jason Kenney will be Premier of Alberta and Ford will be Premier of Ontario. They will both strongly oppose Carbon Taxes - along with Saskatchewan. Let's see what happens when Trudeau tries to IMPOSE a carbon tax on Ontario while trying to win Ontario's votes. And make no mistake, Ford will make it clear that's what Trudeau will try to do. In my opinion, that's the elephant in the room - either way, Trudeau will lose a lot of seats in Ontario if Ford gets in. If Trudeau imposes the tax, he'll lose. If he tries to walk away from it, his track record of lies will bite him. Interesting indeed.

Edited by Centerpiece

56 minutes ago, Centerpiece said:

There is a federal election next year.

My money is slowly drifting toward Sheer. I expect JT will enact the carbon pricing on resistant provinces in Sept. Ford may bluster, but by the time Sheer takes office, I don't think he will reverse it. It will be something he can hammer the grits with for a while. Remember how the GST was going to be reversed after the election?

What I to do what hearing on talk radio is that Ford will get in and then we will have  all hell break lose because he will have do MORE than Harris did and Ontarians  aren't going to like it...so get ready of Harris-like government...will Ford go after the unions, like the teachers...anyone know if any contracts are up in Ford era coming?  Ford like other leaders will do what HE thinks has to be done and will be judge on that. Personally, I really don't care who gets in..they all the same in the end. I'm going to prepare now for the worse and what ever happen won't hurt me as much if I didn't.

29 minutes ago, Topaz said:

What I to do what hearing on talk radio is that Ford will get in and then we will have  all hell break lose because he will have do MORE than Harris did and Ontarians  aren't going to like it...so get ready of Harris-like government...will Ford go after the unions, like the teachers...anyone know if any contracts are up in Ford era coming?  Ford like other leaders will do what HE thinks has to be done and will be judge on that. Personally, I really don't care who gets in..they all the same in the end. I'm going to prepare now for the worse and what ever happen won't hurt me as much if I didn't.

Yes it's true, none of the options are very good, and this probably benefits Ford. Hard to say at this point whether a Ford premiership will be good for Ontarians or not, we don't know yet what his political platform will be. Not that it matters much, they do what they want once they get in power. We live in times when a politician's personality matters foremost, not the platform they represent.

47 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Yes it's true, none of the options are very good, and this probably benefits Ford.

I heard an interesting take on the comparison made between Trump and Ford. The pundit said the more outrageous are the actions of President Trump, the more moderate Ford looks. I agree with that observation.

On 3/14/2018 at 11:29 AM, GostHacked said:

His interaction with CBC hosts have been weird. Just sounds like every other politician out there.

CBC hosts.  Yah think?  Wierd or simply a mutual sense of dislike... you know like between me and you.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh.