Doug Ford - leader of Ontario PCs

It looks like it is official, Doug Ford is now the leader of the Ontario PCs. He had the worst attendance record of any City of Toronto councilor, and the city integrity commissioner found he broke the city council code of conduct in his business dealings with two of customers of Deco labels. The biggest point however will be his past as a drug dealer. According to John Stackhouse, editor of the Globe and Mail which broke the story in 2013, their investigation took 18 months before publication. Reporters were sent back multiple times to corroborate details and further authenticate information provided in previous interviews. More than 100 people were approached. Many refused comment. Many referred to second-hand information about the Fords’ role in the illegal drug trade. The reporters searched only for people with direct knowledge – those who had purchased hashish from Doug Ford, supplied him with hashish or witnessed him possessing large amounts of the drug. Eventually, the reporters located and interviewed 10 people who said they had such knowledge.

For someone so young and inexperienced in politics, Tanya Granic Allen shows great promise. 

She and Ford, seems to see eye-to-eye on a lot of issues.   She's said to have a special place in Ford's cabinet (which will give her the experience).   

I like how she handled the fiasco of that leadership race.  She was the only candidate on the floor too, to be with her supporters (which tells me she's got good people skills).

I'm keeping my eye on her........I predict she'll become a major player in the near future.

Edited by betsy

4 hours ago, betsy said:

Tanya Granic Allen shows great promise.

I know nothing about her, but she ended up with a larger vote than Mulroney* so obviously she connected with a lot of people. While they were both unknowns a couple of months ago, Mulroney had the advantage of a lot of hype. I agree Allen is someone to watch.

*Correction, previous news seemed to indicate she was ahead of Mulroney but I found a more detailed account that puts her very close but slightly behind Mulroney. Regardless, she did well for someone that came out of nowhere.

Edited by ?Impact

It's impressive that Ontario Conservatives would elect someone who, rather than get his brother the help he needed, instead attacked the people who said they saw the video of him smoking crack and called them liars. He didn't care about Toronto, he didn't care about his brother, and he only cared about power. At what point did the conservative movement become overtaken by so many people of such low character that they consistently elect pieces of shit to represent them?

I didn't think it was possible that Wynne would get four more years. Now it seems very, very likely. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BubberMiley said:

Also remember they were absolutely right about every single one of them. :-D

Congratulations, Ontario Liberals.

That's news to me.

I can think of a couple of negative things said about Trump.

He's racist.  He colluded with Russia.  I must've missed the news that says he's absolutely guilty of those things.

Anyway.....

During the primary and during the presidential election, he's been called sexist. Groper. Liar. Uncouth.  Philanderer.  Brash.  Bully. 

Clips of interviews, and videos were produced as evidence!  Practically all mainstream media did a blanket bashing on Trump.  There was always something negative to say about him, almost every day.

......and yet, he won.

That's my point.

Edited by betsy

Personal attacks has now become the norm.  It's just another day in politics.......and it's lost most of its sting.

What's the first thing that comes to mind now  when someone is being attacked?  Must be.......FAKE NEWS. :D

Edited by betsy

1 hour ago, ?Impact said:

I know nothing about her, but she ended up with a larger vote than Mulroney so obviously she connected with a lot of people. While they were both unknowns a couple of months ago, Mulroney had the advantage of a lot of hype. I agree Allen is someone to watch.

I don't know much about her either except for what I read when I googled her after seeing her last night.  She's said to be the voice for social conservatives.  She surprisingly did well than expected.

A strategist said that Ford won because of her. She urged her supporters to list Ford as the second choice....and no one else after that.

Even though she'd lost, it's still a good thing because now more people had taken notice of her. 

Edited by betsy

The last time I voted for a mainstream party in Ontario, it was the Mike Harris Progressive Conservatives. If Elliott (or Mulroney or Allen whoever she is) won then I would have spent some time considering the party because I do want to get rid of the Liberals. With Ford winning however they will not get my consideration.

8 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

The last time I voted for a mainstream party in Ontario, it was the Mike Harris Progressive Conservatives. If Elliott (or Mulroney or Allen whoever she is) won then I would have spent some time considering the party because I do want to get rid of the Liberals. With Ford winning however they will not get my consideration.

That's okay.   I was just listening to a political analyst being interviewed.  Apparently, Ford Nation is no longer just confined in Toronto. It's crept up to, and making its way through rural places. 

Rosemary Barton has something nice to say about Ford (basing it from her experience with him).  She said, he has the authentic sincerity -  and the other people in her panel had agreed with her.  They say with Ford (though he may be somewhat brash)  - you get what you see.

If he's that refreshing - and he's the anti-establishment (and apparently resonating with a lot of folks).......

........nothing will stop him.   He'll be our next Premier!

Edited by betsy

He accused the Toronto Police and Toronto Star of colluding against his brother and inventing the crack cocaine story just so they could maintain power, despite his brother clearly needing help and not a lying enabler. Think about that. He accused the Police Department of manufacturing evidence with the Toronto Star when he knew his brother was a crackhead.  That's like the worst sort of human you can possibly be.

But I will concede that Trump-supporter types would certainly vote for him. It seems moral decency is irrelevant to them. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BubberMiley said:

But I will concede that Trump-supporter types would certainly vote for him. It seems moral decency is irrelevant to them. 

I hope Wynn repeats the famous Hillary term, "DEPLORABLES!"  

Of course, she shouldn't be so blatant as to steal the exact term - she should call Ford supporters ..............

...........moral-decency challenged! :D

Edited by betsy
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, BubberMiley said:

It's not like Kathleen Wynne represents a moral choice for voters, though.  She represents a status quo vote now, for better or worse.

31 minutes ago, betsy said:

I hope Wynn repeats the famous Hillary term, "DEPLORABLES!"  

Of course, she shouldn't be so blatant as to steal the exact term - she should call Ford supporters ..............

...........moral-decency challenged! :D

What do you think of throwing the police under the bus to maintain power? What do you think of going after the reporters who saw the video? It's not like you can deny what happened. How do you reconcile that? I'm honestly curious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BubberMiley said:

He accused the Toronto Police and Toronto Star of colluding against his brother and inventing the crack cocaine story just so they could maintain power, despite his brother clearly needing help and not a lying enabler

From what I've read he was gobsmacked when it turned out to be true.

45 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

It's not like Kathleen Wynne represents a moral choice for voters, though.  She represents a status quo vote now, for better or worse.

I would have voted for Mulroney, or barring her Elliott. But Ford is what we've got (sigh). 

What I like about Ford:

He's brash, plain spoken, doesn't talk down to people, and seems to have that 'common touch' that most politicians can't find with a barge pole.

What I don't like about Ford:

He's an idiot. Okay, that's maybe harsh. He doesn't seem to be as dumb as Trump but he's thin skinned and doesn't doesn't have much knowledge about how government works, nor much ambition to learn.  He says stupid things because he doesn't do his research and talks off the top of his head. His very big fat head.

In the end I will certainly vote for the PCs. Because it's really hard to see how Ford could do worse than Wynne and McGuinty, who have screwed up just about every damned file from roads and highways to energy to health care, to the environment and business.

5 minutes ago, Argus said:

In the end I will certainly vote for the PCs.

Even if you try and excuse his drug dealing past as youthful errors (he stopped when he was 22), you can't ignore the way he used his radio pulpit to bully and destroy other people with lies (just like Trump). He is a bad person - period. The one difference between him and his late brother is at least Rob was somewhat genuine despite his flaws.

1 hour ago, Argus said:

And most of it turned out to be true.

Whether true or not.....he still won!  That's my point (in response to the OP).

With Ford's baggage (Rob scandals) - he still won.  He also came in a strong second to Tory in the mayoral election (joined the race late, remember?). 

His message is resonating.  I didn't see the debate but pundits like how he handled it.

Edited by betsy

49 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

Even if you try and excuse his drug dealing past as youthful errors (he stopped when he was 22), you can't ignore the way he used his radio pulpit to bully and destroy other people with lies (just like Trump). He is a bad person - period. The one difference between him and his late brother is at least Rob was somewhat genuine despite his flaws.

You can label Trump (Ford) all you want - whether they're true or not.   That's not my point when I responded to your OP.

Edited by betsy

22 minutes ago, betsy said:

You can label Trump (Ford) all you want - whether they're true or not.   That's not my point when I responded to your OP.

So you're saying you don't care that he questioned the integrity of the police in order to hold on to power, or you just weren't paying attention and choose not to believe it?