NAFTA negotiations.

8 hours ago, Kerfuffle said:

So much whining so early in the morning....you sound just like President Brain fart with diarrhea of the mouth.....The only thing missing in your post is the constant " Trudeau has been to Washington 16 times" whine.

Well, it certainly looks to me that Trump is not the brain fart here but some prime mistake is a brain fart. 16 times of more begging of please don't hurt us. Stop trying to stick up for a country and leader that constantly screws with you every day and blows your tax dollars willy nilly on refugees that do not deserve those tax dollars. You appear to be just another typical whiny crybaby liberal snowflake Canadian who just can't stand to have to take the punishment that you(Canada)deserves. Trump is not going to kiss your Canadian ass so quite with the crybaby stuff. You will just have to face the fact that you are now dealing with someone who will negotiate a trade/tariff deal for America and Americans and not for Canada. Live with it. 

I realize now that there’s too much misinformation to set straight in these posts.  A few items though require a response:  What terrorists are you referring to who have made attacks on the U.S. and came from north of the border?  This is ‘blame Canada’ nonsense.  As for Article 5, the last time it was invoked was to help the U.S.   Thank NATO for that.  We’ve all spent billions on security to keep the U.S. happy.  I also don’t know what overstays you’re referring to.  We have an influx of migrants from the U.S. that we can barely manage.  It will be interesting to see how people’s attitudes towards America have shifted and will continue to shift as Trump bullies and tries to instill fear.  You see we’re a pretty careful, well-informed, and well educated society, so attempts to manipulate us or whitewash bad behaviour won’t fly.  Anyway, I’ll leave you to tell each other how right you are. 

11 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I realize now that there’s too much misinformation to set straight in these posts.  A few items though require a response:  What terrorists are you referring to who have made attacks on the U.S. and came from north of the border?  This is ‘blame Canada’ nonsense. 

Terrorist attacks against the U.S. from Canada:

• Ahmed Ressam (Millenium Bomber)
  • Abdulrahman El Bahnasawy (conspired to bomb NYC targets)
  • Amor M. Ftouhi  (stabbing attack at Michigan airport)

....Seven FBI Terrorist Screening Center “monthly domestic encounter reports” dating from April 2014 to August 2016 detail the number, type, and location of encounters with known or suspected terrorists across the United States. The encounters are based on information in various watchlist databases. In all seven reports, the numbers of encounters at land border crossings were higher in northern states than southern.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fbi-reports-show-terror-suspects-coming-from-canada-while-trump-stares-at-mexico

On 7/25/2018 at 4:18 PM, paxamericana said:

I consider the US tariffs investment, because for a nickel that I have to pay as part of my GDP, I can get Canada and the rest of the world to lower their trade barriers while also potentially watching them commit economic Sepuku as Canada and china has done. Sounds like a pretty good show either way. Not much to loose but everything to gain. Yes keep underestimating Trump supporter, that's how 2016 happened. 

I thought it was due to gerrymandering?

Canadian media is calling for Trudeau to stop playing games and start making a deal.  

The EU and Mexico are ready to play ball, while Justin Trudeau only wants to play politics.

In any big negotiation there has to be give and take, which prompts the question: What is Canada’s big give in order to get a deal? Is there one? If so, we’re not saying. Government officials were dodging the question again this week. They’re full of complaints about the Americans being obstinate, but where is evidence of them being conciliatory?

U.S. Trade Representative Bob Lighthizer hasn’t noticed any. He said Thursday that, in addition to the EU, Mexico was showing signs of compromise. The country that hasn’t, he said, was Canada.

Now may be the time, with Mr. Trump facing midterm elections and showing some willingness to strike a deal, for the Trudeau government to do what the EU did. Make the big play.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-after-all-our-frustration-with-trump-its-time-to-make-the-big-play/

• Like 1

On 7/26/2018 at 11:43 PM, paxamericana said:

No no no, you're believing the fake news again. Lets just clarify, it was our Russian comrade who helped us drain the swamp.

I am confused, you are a Trump supporter but yet happy to believe he is a Russian puppet?

• Haha 1

U.S. meeting with Mexico again on NAFTA...without Canada.

"If the U.S. and Mexico reach [agreement] on the auto provisions, they just flip it to Canada and say: ‘Take it or leave it,’ " Mr. Volpe said.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-united-states-mexico-enter-rapid-track-in-nafta-talks/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Yep...just like Trudeau's bailouts for steel and aluminum.    Trump has much deeper pockets to play with....and Canadians hate to spend money.

So would real conservatives. . . if Trump was actually a Conservative. 

Look at what those Trudeau antics got for Canada...a time out by big bro, putting Canada in an even worse negotiation position...when will snowflake Trudeau resign?

"The Canadian negotiating team, led by Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland, has been told that Lighthizer is focusing on negotiations with Mexico and isn’t interested in engaging with Canada at the moment, according to the people, who asked not to be named discussing private conversations. The situation was first reported by the National Post newspaper."

“The Trump administration has clear frustrations with the Canadian government’s approach to the Nafta modernization, and we’re now seeing it play out in front of our faces,” Adam Taylor, principal and co-founder at trade advisory firm Export Action Global, said by phone from Ottawa. “We’ve seen virtually overnight Mexico and the U.S. are moving forward and Canada looks left behind and then forced into a position where it has to make a significant set of concessions just to be readmitted to the talks, it seems.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-31/canada-is-said-to-be-frozen-out-of-nafta-amid-u-s-mexico-talks-jk9vz83u

Edited by paxamericana
  • Like 1

If you don’t think Canadian negotiators see through the divide and conquer tactic, you’re really lost.  Here’s my prediction: Either Mexico comes away from the talks disgruntled by unfair U.S. play or else they get a better deal for their side than old NAFTA, which would further hurt U.S. manufacturing. The best option is to work out a fair deal as honest brokers.  If that’s the option, Canada is ready to negotiate.  If not, U.S. negotiators can fart around until the end of time. 

Edited by Zeitgeist

1 hour ago, paxamericana said:

Look at what those Trudeau antics got for Canada...a time out by big bro, putting Canada in an even worse negotiation position...when will snowflake Trudeau resign?

Indeed.....Trump is telling Canada to go away for now...."don't call us, we'll call you".

Mexico could still throw Canada under the bus.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Indeed.....Trump is telling Canada to go away for now...."don't call us, we'll call you".

Mexico could still throw Canada under the bus.

"Canada, you're fired!"

Edited by paxamericana

5 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

U.S. meeting with Mexico again on NAFTA...without Canada.

Not a big shocker, really. The current Mexican regime may offer the U.S. its best bet for getting concessions from the Mexicans as the incoming leftist Lopez Obrador regime won't take power for several months. Why Mexico has such a long duration between its election and inauguration dates puzzles me, but that's the reality. Lopez Obrador, who recently won the Mexican presidency in a landslide, has been a critic of NAFTA and has reportedly urged the outgoing regime to postpone NAFTA renegotiations. However, it appears both the Pena Nieto and Trump regimes seem intent on working toward a quick resolution, which might benefit neither if Lopez Obrador nixes any new deal. Imagine the indignation had Obama negotiated new trade deals between the 2016 elections and Trump's inauguration. Would Trump have accepted their legitimacy? My guess is that Mexico's business community favors a quick resolution on NAFTA and wants to achieve something before the government changes. In any case, this is all about politics. Where Canada is concerned, both major federal parties are more or less on the same side on NAFTA so even with an election looming in 2019 it's unlikely Trump will be able to exploit political division north of the border in order to assert American interests and timelines as appears to be happening in Mexico.

Edited by turningrite

1 hour ago, Zeitgeist said:

If you don’t think Canadian negotiators see through the divide and conquer tactic, you’re really lost. 

I think mexico and the us see canada for what it really want, a liberal haven where identity politics triumph over common sense and free trade.

"Canada went into the NAFTA re-negotiations determined to protect the industries that were exempted from free trade in the first place.

Trump has been just as set on eradicating trade barriers to American companies."

https://torontosun.com/news/provincial/canada-in-for-fight-of-its-life-in-nafta-talks-expert

Canada to bring feminism to NAFTA talks in seeking new chapter on gender

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/canada-to-bring-feminism-to-nafta-talks-in-seeking-new-chapter-on-gender