Forum Upgrade Satisfaction Poll

cybercoma

New Forum Upgrade  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 hours ago, dialamah said:

Much better for my tablet, which I use a lot.   I kinda like the cleaner look of it, but don't like that I get taken to profiles to read full statuses and replies.  Like that it's easier to post media, like the option of reading all new content, including status updates, with one click.  Not sure about other features yet.

I agree, the status update feature seems a little confusing, but I feel its outweighed by everything else....I like the quoting feature via highlighting the text to be quoted,  Another forum I go to has that and I find it really handy, namely when responding to specific snippets of a post.All in all, I give the upgrade two thumbs up and commend the team on how fast they brought it in...hardly noticed any downtime. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Forum Admin
45 minutes ago, BC_chick said:

Bummer about the updates though.

I can look into implementing this feature in the future (there is probably a mod that I can use to force this feature).  At first I didn't realize what you were describing, but I think I do now.  Just to be clear, in the original forum format, you were able to post a reply to a status update directly from the status widget; rather than having to go to a separate page (in this case, the individuals profile page) to post a reply.  Is that correct?

I believe the reason this feature was removed by the developers is to encourage people to visit each other's profile - which in this new version are drastically improved.

4 minutes ago, Greg said:

I can look into implementing this feature in the future (there is probably a mod that I can use to force this feature).  At first I didn't realize what you were describing, but I think I do now.  Just to be clear, in the original forum format, you were able to post a reply to a status update directly from the status widget; rather than having to go to a separate page (in this case, the individuals profile page) to post a reply.  Is that correct?

I believe the reason this feature was removed by the developers is to encourage people to visit each other's profile - which in this new version are drastically improved.

That's correct, you could post replies on the widget; but also equally important, you could read the other replies on the widget as well.  

Since my last post I realized that we can post replies to status updates on the activity feed as well, but that still leaves the issue of not being able to see the responses without going to the specific profile.

33 minutes ago, Greg said:

encourage people to visit each other's profile - which in this new version are drastically improved.

Why?   If I want to visit someone's profile, I can do so just by clicking on their avatars.   Don't need to be 'encouraged' into it via status updates.   ** Never mind, I see that it's now on the sidebar. **  :D

Just saw in the Post Preview mode that I can check out what my post will look like on a phone or tablet.   :)

Edited by dialamah

2 hours ago, Greg said:

I'm sure I'll eventually get used to it, but so far I'm not seeing anything that I would even remotely call an improvement from a user perspective. The profile pages are a mess, most of the "options" don't appear to work or make any difference.

Yesterday I was finding the message editing interface to be laggy and jerky, like there was broken code running in the background or something. I tried closing my browser and starting fresh a few times, but it didn't change.

Today it seems completely smooth!  Maybe the problem was at my end all along.

-k

The new software is really not good. From an email you used to be brouight to the first unread post in a thread; now it's to the post quoted in the e-mail Basically a worsening, not an improvement.

I'm used to using italics to distinguish quoted material but it doesn't appear as if this is working. I've done it a number of times and the quoted text doesn't seem to look like italics.

Like this quoted text which should be in italics.

And is. That's weird. Yet I did it in the Canada and Provincial forums and I see no italics displayed.

• Forum Admin
6 hours ago, jbg said:

The new software is really not good.

Some of you might not want to hear this, but I don't care if you don't like the new forum format.

I had no choice but to upgrade, so lets all stop complaining.

I will entertain suggestions on how to improve, because there are plenty of changes I can try to implement. As I said earlier, nothing is set in stone.

However, telling me over and over again that you don't like the upgrade is beginning to annoy the hell out of me.

• Forum Admin
5 hours ago, Altai said:

Can you please add numbers for the posts ? It was easy to refer a post with its number when you dont want to quote it.

I'll look into this feature.

• Forum Admin
6 hours ago, Altai said:

Can you please add numbers for the posts ? It was easy to refer a post with its number when you dont want to quote it.

The post count feature has been implemented.  Enjoy!

• Forum Admin
5 hours ago, Argus said:

I'm used to using italics to distinguish quoted material but it doesn't appear as if this is working. I've done it a number of times and the quoted text doesn't seem to look like italics.

I would recommend you use the actual quoting feature when quoting an piece of text.

However, the WYSIWYG editor requires JS to operate, so if things are not working properly, it's likely the the JS hasn't properly loaded.  I would simply refresh your browser and let everything completely download before attempting to use the editor.

2 hours ago, Greg said:

Some of you might not want to hear this, but I don't care if you don't like the new forum format.

I had no choice but to upgrade, so lets all stop complaining.

Makes sense to me...the forum can't run on an outdated and unsupported version forever.   Good work !