Forum Upgrade Satisfaction Poll

cybercoma

New Forum Upgrade  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Creating new status updates require the "What's on your mind?"  text box to be enabled ?    Might be a browser issue.   I can respond to existing status updates.

Overall, I like the upgrade and it will just take some time to get comfortable with the new user interface.

Like any upgrade, Admin is probably busy tweaking the settings and configuration as best he can, so please be patient and

helpful by communicating any issues discovered.  

Much better for my tablet, which I use a lot.   I kinda like the cleaner look of it, but don't like that I get taken to profiles to read full statuses and replies.  Like that it's easier to post media, like the option of reading all new content, including status updates, with one click.  Not sure about other features yet.

Would like to congratulate Greg on managing the update with minimal downtime and apparently no technical problems.  Perhaps the Feds should have got this team to implement Phoenix.

I don't like it. While you can get use to things being in different places (that comes with any upgrade), the fundamental problem is information is just displayed at a much lower density. The screen is full of useless space instead of threads/posts/updates. I have a 28 inch screen with 4k resolution, and this new software wants to show me like 3 items on all that screen space and make me scroll around or go from page to page to see anything else whereas before everything was visible at a glance.  Sadly, this is very typical of a lot of recent changes to various software, which greatly sacrifice efficiency/usability in windows to try to make things look nicer on mobile. 

Edited by Bonam

• Forum Admin

I just want to remind everyone, nothing is set in stone.  The theme everyone is seeing is the default theme for the forum software.

I can assure you, the look will evolve with time. I do plan on making small changes in the short term, and more substantive changes once all the kinks are ironed out and I have more time to dedicate to customizing the look and feel.

Thanks

On my first log-in, I thought I saw an option for poster 'reputations'.   I can't seem to find it now, was that 'tweaked' out?   I liked the idea.

Also, I note that there's an option to 'share' posts out into the wider world on every post.   I know nothing I type here is exactly 'private', but if someone is going to share my brilliance elsewhere, I'd prefer they have to work at it a little bit harder than just clicking a 'share' icon.  

8 hours ago, Bonam said:

I don't like it. While you can get use to things being in different places (that comes with any upgrade), the fundamental problem is information is just displayed at a much lower density. The screen is full of useless space instead of threads/posts/updates. I have a 28 inch screen with 4k resolution, and this new software wants to show me like 3 items on all that screen space and make me scroll around or go from page to page to see anything else whereas before everything was visible at a glance.  Sadly, this is very typical of a lot of recent changes to various software, which greatly sacrifice efficiency/usability in windows to try to make things look nicer on mobile. 

This is very large even on my 32" monitor,  it takes up the whole space... Usually I can make the window smaller which is better, but not anymore.  I can't see much even at full screen..  And part of the problem is sites are being built for mobile and tablet devices more and more while forgetting about the majority still using desktops/laptops.

I see the status updates, but only the most recent four. There used to be a link to access older ones but I don't see it now. I have a notification that Greg responded to my last status update, but I can't find my last status update....

Also, it used to be that a topic would be in blue if there were new messages. That doesn't seem to be the case now. Some are in blue and some are white, but that doesn't seem to be influenced by there being unread messages in that topic or forum.

Also, forum is slow, taking 10-20 seconds to save messages, for example.

Edited by Argus
d

I still haven't voted, but I am leaning towards the positive side. The activity tab is a great improvement. I was missing some of the ability to catch up the old forum had but this tab seems to beat it by a long shot. You can quickly see what recent activity was, what is happening to content you started, what is unread, etc. 

8 minutes ago, cybercoma said:

Where do you update your status?

In our profiles, apparently.  You also have to go to someone's profile to respond or read the responses.  

The status updates are definitely inferior to the previous system and given the lack of responses on the current updates, I think other posters share my sentiments.

What I do like about the forum - on my phone at least - is that it has better browsing capability.  The mobile site didn't show a lot of the details so I would browse in full mode and use mobile to post.  The new site is the best of both worlds and I don't have to switch back and forth.  

I also like the activity function which we didn't have before.  

Bummer about the updates though.