America under President Trump

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

Once upon a time in the west, we made our own pants for $20 and didn't need to use child labourers working in a hell-hole.

I guess you are not familiar with the sweatshops that used to dominate the garment districts in our major cities. Once we started to crack down on the labor standards, the owners got their cronies in government to negotiate away tariffs so they could exploit workers in other countries instead.

b.t.w. those $20 pants we used to make here were no better than the ones from overseas today. The only difference is that mom used to sew on a patch when the knee wore out so we used the longer. Today we get our jeans with holes already in them as a 'fashion' statement.

2 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

People that poor and uneducated can make good shirts which should be evidence enough for us to get out of the business. 

Wha?

2 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

You didn't address my point at all.

Do you know what Twice Born means? Do you think you can change that by buying cheap jeans?

Edited by DogOnPorch

39 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

So you are pleased that these changes have finally come. You agree with Donald Trump.

No, and certainly not for the racist misplaced reasons Trump and his supporters are using for bringing them about now.

22 minutes ago, kimmy said:

Perhaps trade agreements could be a way to improve working conditions and environmental protections in those countries.   "If you want access to our market, you have to meet minimum standards on child labor and environmental regulation.  Sadly, of course, trade agreements usually work the opposite way, giving corporations a way to resist environmental regulation they feel is overly strict. But it doesn't have to be that way.

-k

It's just a little too rich hearing these concerns being voiced now.  This fleet of ships sailed and sunk years ago.  As it's been pointed out this was about keeping out brown people.

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

Since all these Trump snowflakes are soooo concerned about unskilled factory workers getting subsidized jobs, are they now turning pro union too ?

Why is it that the anti Trump cities are the ones supporting survival of the fittest economically now?

It's a Left Right flip I tells ya !

Where on EARTH did I say I'm against unions?

No I don't know what is twice born.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvija

4 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Since all these Trump snowflakes are soooo concerned about unskilled factory workers getting subsidized jobs, are they now turning pro union too ?

Why is it that the anti Trump cities are the ones supporting survival of the fittest economically now?

It's a Left Right flip I tells ya !

I don't think so, All we're doing is rubbing the pro Trumpies noses in their own unbelievably smelly crap.

Edited by eyeball

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

Wha?

We Canadians cannot compete in that industry any more. We cannot do it cheaply enough. If we try, we will lose our shirts, so to speak. 

Across South Asia, jobs in such areas as telemarketing and manufacturing are empowering the disadvantaged castes and creating a more meritocratic and just society. Every year, the cars at Dalit meetings increase in number and size. 

1 minute ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

We Canadians cannot compete in that industry any more. We cannot do it cheaply enough. If we try, we will lose our shirts, so to speak. 

Across South Asia, jobs in such areas as telemarketing and manufacturing are empowering the disadvantaged castes and creating a more meritocratic and just society. Every year, the cars at Dalit meetings increase in number and size. 

You're free to support the remaining slavery on the planet.

Here's some context on Bangladesh from the Institute for Development Studies.

It throws sand in the face of left and right anti traders:

http://interactions.eldis.org/node/135

Gender equality

Women’s opportunities and participation in public space have seen improvements in recent decades. Progress has been made in closing the gender gap in school enrolments at the primary and secondary levels. The rapid growth of the readymade garment industry has created employment opportunities for women and many women are members of the local government councils. The government’s commitment to improving women’s equality is reflected in the National Women Development Policy 2011 as well as the national poverty reduction strategy, National Strategy for Accelerated Poverty Reduction (NSAPR II).

Despite improvements in education for girls, and creation of economic opportunities for women and women’s political participation, Bangladesh continues to score poorly on gender indices. It was ranked 86th in the Global Gender Gap Index 2012 from among 135 countries surveyed, and 111th in the Gender Inequality Index 2012.

8 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Here's some context on Bangladesh from the Institute for Development Studies.

It throws sand in the face of left and right anti traders:

http://interactions.eldis.org/node/135

Gender equality

Women’s opportunities and participation in public space have seen improvements in recent decades. Progress has been made in closing the gender gap in school enrolments at the primary and secondary levels. The rapid growth of the readymade garment industry has created employment opportunities for women and many women are members of the local government councils. The government’s commitment to improving women’s equality is reflected in the National Women Development Policy 2011 as well as the national poverty reduction strategy, National Strategy for Accelerated Poverty Reduction (NSAPR II).

Despite improvements in education for girls, and creation of economic opportunities for women and women’s political participation, Bangladesh continues to score poorly on gender indices. It was ranked 86th in the Global Gender Gap Index 2012 from among 135 countries surveyed, and 111th in the Gender Inequality Index 2012.

Michael, Trump shocked the political establishment and media by giving an inauguration speech that implied he is dead serious about destroying their oligarchy. They were bewildered. He’s supposed to sell out now that his populist song and dance won him the White House.

Probably unfounded concern, a lot of his advisers are old guard establishment hacks.

Immigration reform advocates point out he has yet to appoint Kris Kobach deputy Homeland Security Secretary, an essential step if the anarchist immigration policies of the Bush/Obama regime are to be rolled back.

Meanwhile the journalism community is dead set on burying him for fostering public awareness of what a bunch of clowns they are.

And he’s not helping himself by taking the bait they lay out hook line and sinker.

12 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I don't think so, All we're doing is rubbing the pro Trumpies noses in their own unbelievably smelly crap.

The crap is the suggestion that starting a trade war and taxing consumers will somehow bring unskilled jobs back.

America's thriving services sector is based in Democratic areas, but somehow those jobs don't count as American enough to unskilled Trump voters who are losing the economic game.

Just now, SpankyMcFarland said:

I didn't know you cared so much for the huddled masses beyond our shores. 

BTW what's your plan for helping South Asia?

What's yours? I can't change 4000 years of religious indoctrination by buying another pair of crappy jeans. You can try...but all it does is confirms their caste system works as intended.

I've posted many times about the plight of SEA/Indochina and the indifference shown to the Boat People.

Your side preferred to feed the sharks, if I recall.

Just now, Michael Hardner said:

No, just that support for the downtrodden worker is Leftist language, unseemly to those who have continually voted for trickle down economics in the past.

Political labels aren't working anymore.

Support for the worker is a WESTERN thing to do.

The crap is the suggestion that starting a trade war and taxing consumers will somehow bring unskilled jobs back.

It must be the notion that racism has got nothing to do with it that produces the stench.

America's thriving services sector is based in Democratic areas, but somehow those jobs don't count as American enough to unskilled Trump voters who are losing the economic game.

They're only losing because they're losers. Like I said, go back to school...I must have gone back at least three or four times myself.

Ten bucks says the fattest people also live in Republican areas. Their mothers dress them funny too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Well maybe it is, but somehow I think there should be some kind of ceremony when Republicans adopt Leftist politics and language.

Like the ceremony held when the Democrats stopped openly supporting the KKK?

• Downvote 1