America under President Trump

1 minute ago, OftenWrong said:

I hope they won't be forgotten. I doubt that Trump would want to forget them. One possibility is that there has been a close relationship between former US administrations and the Saudi kingdom. Big money, etc. so there may be pressure from within Washington not to list them. We shall see if the President has the strength to do what's right. Call a spade, a spade.

Again, the text of the law SPECIFICALLY mentions the 9-11 terrorists.

Just now, eyeball said:

It's like you people are all on LSD or something.

You'd know.

• Downvote 1

One possibility is that there has been a close relationship between former US administrations and the Saudi kingdom.

Another possibility is that there's a close relationship between the current US administration and the Saudi kingdom.

-k

You know those guys are just dying to get over here, some how some way. They want to infiltrate the refugee list so bad... Or at least get some of those who do qualify to eventually "turn" on us. Little Habib is only 5 years old now, but when he grows up... he might do anything. He wasn't raised in no Christian household, if you know what I mean. Forgiveness, tolerance are not virtues in Islam. They bring the culture here, as you can see by what's going on in Germany. The concept of multiculturalism is a failure, because some cultures are simply toxic to the values we uphold in the west. The Brits are waking up to reality.

10 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

I know! I keep thinking the same thing. It's like we're in an alternate reality somehow.

Anyway I only raised those points about humanitarianism so that anyone on the left who sees this move as a bad thing will come to the realization you just did.

Seriously though....what's changed? Why should you people get a free pass on your fear of foreign competition after all the decades of bellicosity that's been directed at lefties for saying the same thing?

This is the sort of thing that should make lefties want to beat someone with shovel.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kimmy said:

Another possibility is that there's a close relationship between the current US administration and the Saudi kingdom.

-k

Quite possible. A Sword of Damocles that will need to be addressed if it's an issue as his base supporters are already rumbling about the Saudis.

Four years is a long time...amazing first week.

• Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Those goods are made under practically criminal circumstances, including no environmental regs, and even use of slavery. With that they can flood the western market, thanks to various trade agreements, to sell you a pair of pants for $20. Thanks to Donald Trump, and Trump alone, this is coming to an end. That doesn't mean your wages will be $0.10 per hour.

No, but it does mean you won't find $20 pants any more. They'll be $60. 

9 minutes ago, kimmy said:

-k

I seem to have heard that Trump plans to increase US oil production, and possibly get out from under the yoke of OPEC.

Yeah, that's right. Only took a second to find on Google

Donald Trump has put OPEC on notice

Another advantage that Trump has no political past, no ties to any Saudi love fest and is a radical thinking business man. Part of the "Drain the Swamp" meme.

Edited by OftenWrong
fixed link

2 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Probably. But I'm ok with it if they last 3 times longer.

They won't. You protectionist types acknowledge that all this stuff is made by people making slave-level wages by companies that don't have to worry about the environment, or pay much in taxes, but seem to assume we can build the exact same thing here for approximately the same price. Well, we can't. All those cheap appliances and electronics you buy will cost two or three times more for the same level of quality. The same goes for furniture, clothing, and everything else. 

3 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Exactly. "Winner, winner, chicken dinner..."

More like people stop buying the pants because they cost too much. So not only are there few extra manufacturing jobs but the retail industry sheds  jobs, and of course, our exports get heavily taxed so those jobs start fading away as well.

I mean, who is going to pay $2500 for a smart phone? A lot of people won't be able to afford them, and others will keep what they have for as long as it keeps working. The result is a vastly shrunken market for smartphones and accessories.

Edited by Argus

5 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Seriously though....what's changed? Why should you people get a free pass on your fear of foreign competition after all the decades of bellicosity that's been directed at lefties for saying the same thing?

This is the sort of thing that should make lefties want to beat someone with shovel.

What's changed:
- Terrorists made a move to displace millions, knowing that reactionary western leftists would open their doors and bring them right into their own lands. They don't need to invade us, we will let them come willingly. By this they want to use our own liberal attitudes against us.
- My wallet's empty.

10 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Lefties are inherently conflicted, thus more violent.

2 minutes ago, Argus said:

More like people stop buying the pants because they cost too much. So not only are there few extra manufacturing jobs but the retail industry sheds  jobs, and of course, our exports get heavily taxed so those jobs start fading away as well.

I mean, who is going to pay $2500 for a smart phone? A lot of people won't be able to afford them, and others will keep what they have for as long as it keeps working. The result is a vastly shrunken market for smartphones and accessories.

Folks will stop wearing pants? Unlikely.

Yes...we need those slaves for cheap products.

4 minutes ago, Argus said:

They won't. You protectionist types acknowledge that all this stuff is made by people making slave-level wages by companies that don't have to worry about the environment, or pay much in taxes, but seem to assume we can build the exact same thing here for approximately the same price. Well, we can't. All those cheap appliances and electronics you buy will cost two or three times more for the same level of quality. The same goes for furniture, clothing, and everything else. 

Not quite... we don't want the same thing here. We want good stuff. All that cheap crap is done in like, a year. Poor quality components. It's like buying a 2 dollar pair of headphones, what do you think's gonna happen? The damn wire's so thin,it breaks after a short while, just by normal use. Then off it goes to the landfill, chinese toxic waste. Can you call that good?

I'd certainly rather pay more for electronics that lasts, and employed white man. (I really mean westerner, but if you're pc, you hate me and you're panties are now wedged high up your ass).

Just now, OftenWrong said:

What's changed:
- Terrorists made a move to displace millions, knowing that reactionary western leftists would open their doors and bring them right into their own lands. They don't need to invade us, we will let them come willingly. By this they want to use our own liberal attitudes against us.

Changing the subject won't help you.

- My wallet's empty.

Slacker. Go back to school and get a trade.

Lefties are inherently conflicted, thus more violent.

Where's my fricken shovel...

• Like 1

Not quite... we don't want the same thing here. We want good stuff. All that cheap crap is done in like, a year. Poor quality components. It's like buying a 2 dollar pair of headphones, what do you think's gonna happen? The damn wire's so thin,it breaks after a short while, just by normal use. Then off it goes to the landfill, chinese toxic waste. Can you call that good?

I'd certainly rather pay more for electronics that lasts, and employed white man. (I really mean westerner, but if you're pc, you hate me and you're panties are now wedged high up your ass).

Again I ask, where were the right-wingers when lefties were pointing this out decades ago?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Probably. But I'm ok with it if they last 3 times longer.

Why would you anticipate that they might?

Canadian and US companies have a secret pipeline of super-strong cotton that they're keeping secret from Mexico, India, Vietnam, etc?   US or Canadian machines make stronger stitching?

I have some expensive, rugged pants that last 3 times longer than cheap foreign made pants. My Carhharts are so tough they're almost bulletproof.  Let me check the label...   um, Mexico.  Oh well.

5 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

And $60 stays in Canada.

Really it'll just vanish into the pockets of some corporation whose shareholders might be in Canada or the US or Antarctica.

-k

9 minutes ago, Argus said:

You see how ill we've become. Economically we are near death. If certain protections had been put in place long ago we wouldn't be here now. But now, so late in the game our options to fix this are highly limited. It's like cancer, the longer you let it go the worse it gets, and the more radical the treatment that is needed.

2 minutes ago, kimmy said:

Really it'll just vanish into the pockets of some corporation whose shareholders might be in Canada or the US or Antarctica.

-k

I realize losing the indentured labour for making cheap goods is upsetting.

6 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

You see how ill we've become. Economically we are near death. If certain protections had been put in place long ago we wouldn't be here now. But now, so late in the game our options to fix this are highly limited. It's like cancer, the longer you let it go the worse it gets, and the more radical the treatment that is needed.

/facepalm

Again I ask where were you guys 20-30 years ago?  Young conservative Kindergarten or something?

I recall when computers were made in Texas and cost about $2000 for the top shelf machine of the time that could handle the 'extreme graphics' of Flight Sim 98 and Combat Flight Simulator 2...

Yeah, we paid...fancy joysticks/rudder pedals, too. Early web cams...microphones...etc, etc.

:D