America under President Trump

Trump: Persecuted Christian refugees will get priority

The order also says that the administration should "prioritize refugee claims made by individuals on the basis of religious-based persecution, provided that the religion of the individual is a minority religion in the individual's country of nationality."

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/316586-trump-persecuted-christian-refugees-are-priority

He's really doing what he's promised! 

Yazidis are persecuted too, and they're a minority - there's hope for them.

Edited by betsy

6 minutes ago, BubberMiley said:

I just don't understand why the Philippines isn't on the list.  Muslim terrorists there have recently killed Westerners and they have a violent, rogue government that could be sending in undesirables.

When you start seeing Filipino terrorists in America and Europe - maybe he'll add it to the list too.

Edited by betsy

10 minutes ago, betsy said:

When you start seeing Filipino terrorists in America and Europe - maybe he'll add it to the list too.

There are thousands of Somalis in Minnesota but I haven't noticed any terrorist actions. In fact, can you tell me of anybody in America who has died from a terrorist action by a person from any of those countries? I can give you two examples of Canadians dying from Filipino terrorists in the last year though.

Edited by BubberMiley

30 minutes ago, BubberMiley said:

It seems completely arbitrary. Why not Pakistan? Why not Saudi Arabia, which was responsible for almost all the 9/11 highjackers. 

Not a lot of refugees FROM Saudi Arabia...or Pakistan.

Extreme vetting for those hombres.

42 minutes ago, BubberMiley said:

It seems completely arbitrary. Why not Pakistan? Why not Saudi Arabia, which was responsible for almost all the 9/11 highjackers. 

Those countries were named in a 2016 law concerning immigration visas as "countries of concern." More countries will likely be added.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/27/politics/donald-trump-refugees-executive-order/

Blame Obama.

5 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Those countries were named in a 2016 law concerning immigration visas as "countries of concern." More countries will likely be added.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/27/politics/donald-trump-refugees-executive-order/

Blame Obama.

Immigrants and refugees are TWO different things.

4 hours ago, betsy said:

How do you know???

I've already given you plenty of evidence. But it seems to me that your checklist of what constitutes Christianity only has one box on it, and that box is whether they claim to oppose abortion. If they do, they're a Christian, as far as you're concerned. I suspect you read the bible about as often as Trump does.

2 hours ago, BubberMiley said:

I just don't understand why the Philippines isn't on the list.  Muslim terrorists there have recently killed Westerners and they have a violent, rogue government that could be sending in undesirables.

You'd do better to ask why Saudi Arabia and Pakistan aren't on the list. Those two countries seem to produce the largest number of international terrorists, and both are gripped by religious extremism. In fact, Saudi Arabia's extreme Wahhabi sect has inspired all the major Muslim terrorist groups.

51 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Not a lot of refugees FROM Saudi Arabia...or Pakistan.

Extreme vetting for those hombres.

The law Trump signed bars all visitors from those countries, not just refugees or immigrants. Yet it was 'visitors' from Saudi Arabia who attacked the World Trade Center.

3 minutes ago, Argus said:

You'd do better to ask why Saudi Arabia and Pakistan aren't on the list. Those two countries seem to produce the largest number of international terrorists, and both are gripped by religious extremism. In fact, Saudi Arabia's extreme Wahhabi sect has inspired all the major Muslim terrorist groups.

Yes, I mentioned them in reference to the completely arbitrary way this has been invoked. Some of the worst suspects aren't included.

6 minutes ago, Argus said:

Really? The system is going to lower US wages to ten cents an hour?

Those goods are made under practically criminal circumstances, including no environmental regs, and even use of slavery. With that they can flood the western market, thanks to various trade agreements, to sell you a pair of pants for $20. Thanks to Donald Trump, and Trump alone, this is coming to an end. That doesn't mean your wages will be $0.10 per hour.

You can bet it will take some time to fix decades of damage done by these trade agreements with third world countries. Once upon a time in the west, we made our own pants for $20 and didn't need to use child labourers working in a hell-hole. Even those people will benefit from the change that needs to be done, in the long term.

43 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Immigrants and refugees are TWO different things.

I know but that's where the list of 7 countries comes from right now. The article goes on to say that Trump has ordered  an immediate review of countries to be added to the ban list. Presumably since this 2016 law provides a framework for the President to enact an executive order immediately and legally, without delay.

Stay tuned, more to follow!

Just now, OftenWrong said:

Those goods are made under practically criminal circumstances, including no environmental regs, and even use of slavery. With that they can flood the western market, thanks to various trade agreements, to sell you a pair of pants for $20.

Anyone else recall lefties being sneered at and looked down on for being lazy and pampered when raising these sorts of concerns?

• Like 1

The text of the law specifically mentions the 9-11 hijackers...I doubt Saudi Arabia has been 'forgotten'. My impression, however is that this is specifically aimed at refugees and the countries/failed states pumping them out.

More to follow, possibly...all at the US' government's discretion...not Ashley Judd's.

• Downvote 1

Just now, eyeball said:

Anyone else recall lefties being sneered at and looked down on for being lazy and pampered when raising these sorts of concerns?

I know! I keep thinking the same thing. It's like we're in an alternate reality somehow.

Anyway I only raised those points about humanitarianism so that anyone on the left who sees this move as a bad thing will come to the realization you just did.

1 minute ago, OftenWrong said:

I know! I keep thinking the same thing. It's like we're in an alternate reality somehow.

Anyway I only raised those points about humanitarianism so that anyone on the left who sees this move as a bad thing will come to the realization you just did.

They got p!ssed last time their slaves were taken away...this time will be no different.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

The text of the law specifically mentions the 9-11 hijackers...I doubt Saudi Arabia has been 'forgotten'. My impression, however is that this is specifically aimed at refugees and the countries/failed states pumping them out.

More to follow, possibly...all at the US' government's discretion...not Ashley Judd's.

I hope they won't be forgotten. I doubt that Trump would want to forget them. One possibility is that there has been a close relationship between former US administrations and the Saudi kingdom. Big money, etc. so there may be pressure from within Washington not to list them. We shall see if the President has the strength to do what's right. Call a spade, a spade.