America under President Trump

7 hours ago, Hal 9000 said:

^^We knew this last week, we knew this last month and the month before that too - liberals are mad, we get it.  It still doesn't mean anything, except how effective the media is.

You think it is just liberals who feel revolted at Trump and his behaviour?

20 minutes ago, sharkman said:

Maybe you should check your glasses, sport.  Trump's approval hit 57% today, and climbing.  That's better than Obama.

Polls are lies and the pollsters are lying liars! Oh wait! Here's one where I like the results! Polls are great, but only this one!

35 minutes ago, WestCoastRunner said:

Which poll are you referring to?  

Rasmussen.

Oh, and to the chattering classes, Obama lied about Benghazi.  He lied about his health care plan numerous times.  Here's a bunch more, starting from his 2008 campaign.

“More young black men languish in prison than attend colleges and universities across America”

“We signed into law the biggest middle-class tax cut in history”(JFK had the biggest tax cut)

“If you like your health-care plan, you can keep it”

“The Capitol Hill janitors just got a pay cut”

“Republicans have filibustered 500 pieces of legislation”

“With the nuclear deal done, prisoners released, the time was right to resolve this dispute as well,” (President Barack Obama said at the White House on Jan. 17—without disclosing the $400 million cash payment for prisoners.  His administration went on to continually deny there was cash for hostages until finally admitting that they were lying.

What's funny here is not that Obama lies whenever he feels like it, but that the media have always believed every single lie, and then let him get away with it.  Now that Trump's in the White House, they are overcompensating and trying to get him ousted.  So it's no surprise that their shoddy work has seen more and more people abandon them for Fox.  Heck, when I want something approaching objective reporting I go to British news.

38 minutes ago, sharkman said:

Oh, and to the chattering classes, Obama lied about Benghazi.

There's no evidence of this. However much you people like to say it.

38 minutes ago, sharkman said:

He lied about his health care plan numerous times.

There's no evidence of this either.

Maybe the problem with Trump supporters is they simply don't understand what it means to lie. Here is a hint: If you say something you think is true that is not a lie. It might eventually turn out to not be factual, but it was not a lie when you stated it.

The exception would be someone who is such a compulsive liar he actually doesn't understand or care about the difference between reality and his own feverish imagination.

20 minutes ago, sharkman said:

Rasmussen.

Oh, and to the chattering classes, Obama lied about Benghazi.  He lied about his health care plan numerous times.  Here's a bunch more, starting from his 2008 campaign.

“More young black men languish in prison than attend colleges and universities across America”

“We signed into law the biggest middle-class tax cut in history”(JFK had the biggest tax cut)

“If you like your health-care plan, you can keep it”

“The Capitol Hill janitors just got a pay cut”

“Republicans have filibustered 500 pieces of legislation”

“With the nuclear deal done, prisoners released, the time was right to resolve this dispute as well,” (President Barack Obama said at the White House on Jan. 17—without disclosing the $400 million cash payment for prisoners.  His administration went on to continually deny there was cash for hostages until finally admitting that they were lying.

What's funny here is not that Obama lies whenever he feels like it, but that the media have always believed every single lie, and then let him get away with it.  Now that Trump's in the White House, they are overcompensating and trying to get him ousted.  So it's no surprise that their shoddy work has seen more and more people abandon them for Fox.  Heck, when I want something approaching objective reporting I go to British news.

I knew you couldn't do it without shouting Benghazi.  But none of your supposed lies are all that egregious when taken in context, and they're nothing like the literally hundreds and hundreds of examples I could come up with for Donald Trump that are so blatantly wrong that you would be incapable of defending them (and he's only been president a few days, not eight years).

• The Justice Policy Institute report "Cell Blocks Versus Classroom," (2002) looked at the National Center for Educational Statistics head count of black men in college, and compared that to the Department of Justice count of inmates at the time, and they came up with almost 100,000 more black men in prison than in college. So whether or not there are other studies that came to different conclusions, it's tough to scream "Obama LIED" when there are sources that back him up.
  • He did sign the biggest middle class tax cut. The others mostly benefited the wealthy.
  • Yes, Obama should have said “If you like your health-care plan, you can keep it, unless your insurance company decides to change it.” But that was kind of self-evident in the context of reality.  
  • The Capitol Hill janitors had all their overtime removed by the sequester, which reduced their pay. That may have been a little misleading, but it hardly amounts to "lying whenever he feels like it" as Trump does.
  • When Obama made the claim of the 500 filibusters, there had been 527 cloture motions that had been filed by Republicans. That was what he was referring to.
  • The cash that went to Iran was owed to them since the 1970s.

Odd, however, that you would blame the MSM for not reporting on this stuff when you copied your list from the Washington Post.

3 hours ago, sharkman said:

Maybe you should check your glasses, sport.  Trump's approval hit 57% today, and climbing.  That's better than Obama.

y glasses are fine kid, he had the lowest approval of a president elect im 25 years. If he got a bump lately it's because of the rose colored glasses of his supporters \i suppose. 

12 minutes ago, Omni said:

y glasses are fine kid, he had the lowest approval of a president elect im 25 years. If he got a bump lately it's because of the rose colored glasses of his supporters \i suppose. 

Well let's see.  When the Obama numbers were reported, you were fine with them and didn't suspect any bump.  When Trump's skewed number of 37% approval was reported, you saw no issues there either.  But now that the guy is actually in the White House, and after having the media circus chant liar, liar pants on fire the whold weekend, his numbers still shoot up 20 points.  Not bad for a rookie, Onmi.

2 minutes ago, sharkman said:

Well let's see.  When the Obama numbers were reported, you were fine with them and didn't suspect any bump.  When Trump's skewed number of 37% approval was reported, you saw no issues there either.  But now that the guy is actually in the White House, and after having the media circus chant liar, liar pants on fire the whold weekend, his numbers still shoot up 20 points.  Not bad for a rookie, Onmi.

So when polls are against your guy they are skewed, and when they appear to rebound them they are accurate. I see, thanks.  

24 minutes ago, sharkman said:

Nope, you have to look at the whole picture, but I made an assumption that I wouldn't have to point that out to you.  My mistake.

I'll just adopt your "whole picture" and assume the current polls are skewed and wait for Trump to get caught in yet another lie and they come back down. Shouldn't take long. 

3 minutes ago, Omni said:

I'll just adopt your "whole picture" and assume the current polls are skewed and wait for Trump to get caught in yet another lie and they come back down. Shouldn't take long. 

Not so fast, grasshopper.  If you adopt a whole picture approach, then you have to look at the whole picture.  There are literally dozens of factors involved in both Obama and Trump's approval numbers.  Assuming anything makes an ass out of u and me.

6 minutes ago, sharkman said:

Not so fast, grasshopper.  If you adopt a whole picture approach, then you have to look at the whole picture.  There are literally dozens of factors involved in both Obama and Trump's approval numbers.  Assuming anything makes an ass out of u and me.

I guess you can pick whichever oll that suits you and ass ume that that must be correct. The ome I see from Gallup shows his approval/disapproval tied at 45%. I'm surprised it's that high.

guess you can pick whichever oll that suits you and ass ume that that must be correct. The ome I see from Gallup shows his approval/disapproval tied at 45%. I'm surprised it's that high.

Well, you have to look at the big picture context that the poll was taken in.  It may be kind of confusing for you at first, but at least we've got you on your way!

13 minutes ago, sharkman said:

Well, you have to look at the big picture context that the poll was taken in.  It may be kind of confusing for you at first, but at least we've got you on your way!

Yes, the big picture context is that 45% is extremely low for a president in his honeymoon phase. Obama was 67% at this time. Obama. The Kenyan founder of ISIS!

Even in normal circumstances the American Presidential-election campaigns strat ridiculously early but it could be that Trump's Presidency is going to be so tumultuous that the campaign for next election could start very very early indeed. 

If he seeks re-election, unlike usually with incumbent Presidents, he may face a serious challenge already in the primaries from the fellow Republicans.

'Twill be interesting to see how the CREW lawsuit turns out. Even if they are successful they would have to provide proof of harm done to them in order to collect damages. However, it would/should certainly be reviewed by congress which could make it grounds for impeachment. Trump better hope he doesn't lose control of congress at the mid terms.

2 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

Yes, it will be interesting indeed. I am not so sure it has a better than 50/50 chance of 'winning' but it will certainly demand a lot of discovery evidence. 

Exactly. I'm betting a lot of light will be shone on some very dark nooks and crannies 

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Trump won't have anything else to do by the mid-term elections.   He's already blowing Trudeau's doors off on trade.

Sounds like Trump also blew the doors off 30 years of free trade dogma by stating that cars sold in the US should be made in the US.

Can't wait until every other industry in the US starts clamouring for some of that too along with the same helping heapful of tax and regulatory cuts, that US auto makers are looking forward to.

Story

• Like 1