America under President Trump

The level of desperation seen from Trump would indicate he knows he's headed for ruin post POTUS. Whether that means financial ruin or the loss of his freedom. 

When I first heard the WaPO excerpt I assumed it was from November or December where he was trying to prevent certification or something. But it was from this weekend! He was trying to get Georgia to decertify! 

How would a rational person assume that was going to go any differently? He's only surrounding himself with people who believe the conspiracies that support him. 

• Thanks 2

Now that the election is over, it's ok for CNN to tell the truth.

On CNN’s “New Day” on New Year’s morning, the network’s Fareed Zakaria was asked how U.S. Russia policy under the new President Joe Biden might differ from policy under President Trump. “I think in general, there isn’t going to be as much difference as people imagine,” Zakaria said. “The Biden folks are pretty tough on Russia, Iran, North Korea. You know, the dirty little secret about the Trump administration was that while Donald Trump clearly had a kind of soft spot for Putin, the Trump administration was pretty tough on the Russians. They armed Ukraine. They armed the Poles. They extended NATO operations and exercises in ways that even the Obama administration had not done. They maintained the sanctions. So I don’t think it will be that different.”

There are athletes who can’t resist betting on games, taking steroids or bribing refs. That’s who they are. Trump is one of those guys in the sport of politics. He sees nothing wrong with cheating and seems to enjoy it. There is no hope of changing an old man who thinks that way, and there is no excuse for supporting him. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

There are athletes who can’t resist betting on games, taking steroids or bribing refs. That’s who they are. Trump is one of those guys in the sport of politics. He sees nothing wrong with cheating and seems to enjoy it. There is no hope of changing an old man who thinks that way, and there is no excuse for supporting him. 

There are plenty of reasons for supporting him, and millions of Americans still do.   Trump stripped away all the false pretenses of politics, but there are those who still want to pretend otherwise.

22 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

There are plenty of reasons for supporting him, and millions of Americans still do.   Trump stripped away all the false pretenses of politics, but there are those who still want to pretend otherwise.

There is nothing about Trump that isn't false pretense.  He's told more lies in his four years than all the previous presidents combined.  The biggest pretense is that he cares about those who voted for him.  The biggest surprise is that many of them still believe that.

4 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

There is nothing about Trump that isn't false pretense.  He's told more lies in his four years than all the previous presidents combined.  The biggest pretense is that he cares about those who voted for him.  The biggest surprise is that many of them still believe that.

Nonsense....get your President Trump hate on while you still can...time is running out.   The sheep in Canada love the BS doled out by their Dear Leader.

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

Nonsense....get your President Trump hate on while you still can...time is running out.   The sheep in Canada love the BS doled out by their Dear Leader.

As I keep saying, it's not hate.  He isn't worth hate.  It's contempt, and disgust.  The sort one feels for a self absorbed crybaby.

My leader? Hahaha, give it your best shot.  I'll only agree with you.

2 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

As I keep saying, it's not hate.  He isn't worth hate.  It's contempt, and disgust.  The sort one feels for a self absorbed crybaby.

My leader? Hahaha, give it your best shot.  I'll only agree with you.

You are still giving Trump more time and energy than he will ever give you.   That's how effective his schtick is...it reaches across international borders.

If you agree with me, then why hold American "Trumpers" to a different standard ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

You are still giving Trump more time and energy than he will ever give you.   That's how effective his schtick is...it reaches across international borders.

If you agree with me, then why hold American "Trumpers" to a different standard ?

If you want to denigrate Canadian politicians, I can't think of any that I would defend.  If you want to compare them to Trump, and any of the voters who put them in place to "Trumpers", I can't think of any I would agree with you on.

That's what makes the current situation in the US so unique.  There simply are no comparisons to either the nature of the politician in question or the gullibility of those who voted for him, anywhere in the democratic world.

7 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

If you want to denigrate Canadian politicians, I can't think of any that I would defend.  If you want to compare them to Trump, and any of the voters who put them in place to "Trumpers", I can't think of any I would agree with you on.

That's the point....Canadians can be just as much fanboys as any "Trumpers".  Worse yet, they accept the status quo because no other political party offers another real alternative.   Somebody like Trump really gets into their heads like no Canadian politician can.

That's what makes the current situation in the US so unique.  There simply are no comparisons to either the nature of the politician in question or the gullibility of those who voted for him, anywhere in the democratic world.

Not true....UK, Philippines, Israel, Brazil, etc.

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

That's the point....Canadians can be just as much fanboys as any "Trumpers".  Worse yet, they accept the status quo because no other political party offers another real alternative.   Somebody like Trump really gets into their heads like no Canadian politician can.

Not true....UK, Philippines, Israel, Brazil, etc.

You got me there.  The Philippines and Brazil do come close...

9 hours ago, Boges said:

The level of desperation seen from Trump would indicate he knows he's headed for ruin post POTUS. Whether that means financial ruin or the loss of his freedom. 

When I first heard the WaPO excerpt I assumed it was from November or December where he was trying to prevent certification or something. But it was from this weekend! He was trying to get Georgia to decertify! 

How would a rational person assume that was going to go any differently? He's only surrounding himself with people who believe the conspiracies that support him. 

More projection.

This is behind a payroll so can't post a link but wth

Arnold Schwarzenegger on why Republicans must stop Trump

Jan 5th 2021

BY ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER

THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA was my first love. I fell for this country long before I was lucky enough to live here. From the moment I was exposed to my first images of skyscrapers, huge bridges, Cadillacs, beaches and Hollywood in grade school, I felt that I belonged here.

And as I learned more about the founding of America, about the vision of the founding fathers, about this land of opportunity, I fell deeper and deeper under its spell. By the time I was lucky enough to move here more than 50 years ago, I was obsessed.

Today, I’m deeply concerned for my country. As an immigrant, as an American and as a Republican, it is my duty to speak up.

I grew up in the ruins of a country that gave up on democracy and faced the consequences. You may think I’m being overly sensitive about this—but when you’ve lived through the aftermath as I did, trust me, you worry.

When I was born in 1947, two years after the second world war ended, Austria was in the middle of a famine. Growing up, I was surrounded by broken men drinking away their guilt over their participation in the most evil regime in history. They were part of a system that murdered 6m Jews along with at least 5m other innocent people, tortured and experimented on human beings and started a war that caused 75m deaths. Not all of them were rabid anti-Semites or Nazis. Many just went along step by step down the road toward greater and greater evil because it was the easiest path.

I don’t believe America is capable of those depths of evil, but I do believe we should remember the dire consequences that choosing selfishness and cynicism over service and hope can have. I want to be sure that we don’t take those fateful steps.

President Donald Trump’s actions to destroy faith in our elections and throw centuries of American principles out the window must be met with universal condemnation from all political leaders, regardless of party.

Claims of mass voter fraud have been rejected by court after court (59 cases were thrown out of courts including the Supreme Court), by the Department of Justice and by state election officials from both parties. There is no question about who won the presidential election and continuing this charade is stupid, crazy and evil.

President Trump’s request in a leaked phone recording to Georgia’s secretary of state, Brad Raffensperger, to “find 11,780 votes” is a low point in American history. If I hadn’t already given Mr Raffensperger a Democracy Action Hero award last month—which my institute at the University of Southern California hands out to recognise officials who protect American values—I’d be scrambling to honour him now. He is a true hero for standing up to this un-American bullshit.

On January 6th, when electoral-college votes are counted, leaders in Washington, DC will be faced with a choice. I once did a Terminator film called “Judgment Day”. That’s just Hollywood. But January 6th is Judgment Day for a lot of politicians. Will they choose to side with the voters, or will they choose to side with their party and their selfish president?

For those in my party considering standing up against the voters on January 6th, know this: our grandchildren will know your names only as the villains who fought against the great American experiment and the will of the voters. You will live in infamy.

John F. Kennedy wrote one of my favourite books that helped lead me in my own public service, “Profiles in Courage”. If our politicians go down this road and ignore the voters, we will need a sequel to that book called “Profiles in Cowardice”, about the leaders who chose party over country, conspiracy over democracy, and one man over 81m voters.

When George Washington left office, he wrote a farewell address that echoes through history to us today. As our only independent president, he specifically warned about the danger of political parties. Today, he sounds like someone who travelled through time (though I thought that was my thing):

“The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism. The disorders and miseries which result gradually incline the minds of men to seek security and repose in the absolute power of an individual; and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing faction, more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this disposition to the purposes of his own elevation, on the ruins of public liberty.”

It is time for the members of my party to step back from the partisan battlefield and accept the results of the election. We must never put our party above the great American experiment. We must never forget that we are Americans first. We must never forget that any power our politicians have comes from the voters, and they have spoken.

God bless this country and every American brave enough to stand up for it. God help those of you willing to throw it all away.

On 1/4/2021 at 10:37 AM, Shady said:

Now that the election is over, it's ok for CNN to tell the truth.

:lol: I thought you lost it for a second.

On CNN’s “New Day”.......

He's not letting the truth slip out because it's the right thing to do, he's just doing it because CNN has to lower their dolt-horde's expectations of how "things are going to change drastically re: Russian foreign policy now that there's no longer a Ruskie-lover in the WH".

On 1/4/2021 at 1:37 PM, Shady said:

the Trump administration was pretty tough on the Russians. They armed Ukraine. They armed the Poles. They extended NATO operations and exercises in ways that even the Obama administration had not done. They maintained the sanctions.

Yup just like some of us have been saying for years.

CNN said that?

But,but, but... Trump! :blink: :blink: :blink:

Looks like both Georgia Senate seats are going Blue. 

Trump screwed Mitch McConnell on his way out the door. 

Good on him. . . I guess. :lol:

He gave the Dems an easy wedge issue with the $2,000 stimulus cheque. Something Mitch refused to consider. He'll lose majority status because of it. 

I think at least some of the attraction to Trump was that people are drawn to strong leaders - especially conservatives. And Trump at least 'acts' like a strong leader, a tough-talking, glinty eyed guy who will set bad people straight. Conservatives look at strong men elsewhere, like Russia's Putin or China's XI or Turkey's Erdogan, and see them inspiring nationalism and pride in country, in strongly defending their country's interests and advancing their power and influence. And they think "we need someone like that".

The thing is that these strongmen don't do much of anything for actual people of their countries. The life of the average guy in China, Russia or Turkey is pretty damn miserable, under crushing autocratic rule which can see you fired or even arrested for the slightest sign of disloyalty or disapproval of anything the government does. Hell, it doesn't even matter if you're rich and powerful. Ask Jack Ma, if you can find him. Ask Mikhail Khodorkovsky, if you can get past the army of bodyguards trying to keep him alive. Life under one of these strongmen is not good!

And frankly, Trump was never strong. Except in the sense that a bully acts tough against those who can't fight back. Trump backed down quickly whenever challenged by anyone with power.

2 minutes ago, Argus said:

Every Canadian who voted for Justin Trudeau.

He might well be weak on the world stage...but to those that voted for him, he's the cool guy with the hair...and that's called charisma. A strength...but I don't have Trudeau Derangement Syndrome to the level of anti-Trumpism...no matter how much I'd like him in the crosswalk when Julie Payette drives by. 

• Haha 1