America under President Trump

12 minutes ago, Omni said:

We prefer it to the term "nigger". And our native people were already here, you had to go overseas to get your slaves.

Plenty of slavery in Canada for "aboriginals"....and some Africans too.

The larger point is that such terms are ingrained in culture and history, and this is reflected in popular media.

Snowflakes can deny this all they want, to no avail.

37 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

.  It's okay to call a person by a slang name if they're good with it,

I don't know why you are going crazy here with word definitions.  You quoted above that you would call  a person by a slang name if they are good with it.  I am telling you that the slang 'homo' is not OK with the gay community but you continue to use it.  Why is that?

On 2017-07-29 at 5:45 PM, hot enough said:

Why are you trying to distance yourself from expressing your love for the US murdering children, planning and carrying out genocides, torturing, raping

You forgot slicing off women's breasts. Or perhaps you now include this under torturing.

25 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

The larger point is that such terms are ingrained in culture and history, and this is reflected in popular media.

The only white people in Canada that I've heard use the n word are neonazi/white supremacists. It is not widely used.

I can tell who you hang with up here. ^_^

http://mindy-fischer-writer.com/2017/07/conservative-peggy-noonan-absolutely-humiliates-trump-masculinity/

Speaking of Trump, as we are ...

OMG, Peggy Noonan nails it!

"Noonan said that instead of being a leader, Trump is “whiny, weepy and self-pitying. He throws himself, sobbing, on the body politic. He’s a drama queen.” ...

Noonan said Trump’s tweets demonstrate “utter weakness.” “It’s all whimpering accusation and finger-pointing: ‘Nobody’s nice to me. Why don’t they appreciate me?'” ...

She called Trump’s attacks “limp, lame and blubbery.” ...

Donald Trump now is like an unfunny Woody Allen.”

:lol:

Trump is such a whiner and sniggering locker room 13 year old boy ... I also can't see how anyone who likes to think of himself as a real man would possibly support that. 

Edited by jacee

39 minutes ago, WestCoastRunner said:

I don't know why you are going crazy here with word definitions.  You quoted above that you would call  a person by a slang name if they are good with it.  I am telling you that the slang 'homo' is not OK with the gay community but you continue to use it.  Why is that?

Because it's not slang.  

Homo means "same".  Homosexual is basically "same sex".  Homosexual behaviour is "same sex behaviour".  I'm not going crazy with anything, just discussing why the word homosexual is not disparaging and not slang.  It's better than "queer" which is basically "bizarre" and "freakish".

I'd rather be called "He-Man", but so far people still refer to me as just "a man" - I deal with it though. 

A pyromaniac is a pyromaniac no matter what they think of the terminology.  It's the same thing - what's the big deal?  

6 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

Because it's not slang.  

Homo means "same".  Homosexual is basically "same sex".  Homosexual behaviour is "same sex behaviour".  I'm not going crazy with anything, just discussing why the word homosexual is not disparaging and not slang.  It's better than "queer" which is basically "bizarre" and "freakish".

I'd rather be called "He-Man", but so far people still refer to me as just "a man" - I deal with it though. 

A pyromaniac is a pyromaniac no matter what they think of the terminology.  It's the same thing - what's the big deal?  

So just to be clear. You have no problem addressing a gay man as homo knowing it is offensive to them? 

3 minutes ago, WestCoastRunner said:

So just to be clear. You have no problem addressing a gay man as homo knowing it is offensive to them? 

I don't address them as anything, not homosexual, not as gay or queer either - it seems kinda weird..."Hi queer Steve", yeah, it's awkward.  

I will refer to them with whatever term comes to mind, it could be "gay people", it could be "homosexuals"...and if it is the latter, I won't worry about it at all.  

That said, I wouldn't say "queer", because I don't think they are "queer" and because of the way that word makes me feel.

1 minute ago, Hal 9000 said:

I don't address them as anything, not homosexual, not as gay or queer either - it seems kinda weird..."Hi queer Steve", yeah, it's awkward.  

I will refer to them with whatever term comes to mind, it could be "gay people", it could be "homosexuals"...and if it is the latter, I won't worry about it at all.  

That said, I wouldn't say "queer", because I don't think they are "queer" and because of the way that word makes me feel.

You should be a politician. And I hope you don't refer to them as homos or trannies in front of your children 

1 hour ago, jacee said:

http://mindy-fischer-writer.com/2017/07/conservative-peggy-noonan-absolutely-humiliates-trump-masculinity/

Speaking of Trump, as we are ...

OMG, Peggy Noonan nails it!

"Noonan said that instead of being a leader, Trump is “whiny, weepy and self-pitying. He throws himself, sobbing, on the body politic. He’s a drama queen.” ...

Noonan said Trump’s tweets demonstrate “utter weakness.” “It’s all whimpering accusation and finger-pointing: ‘Nobody’s nice to me. Why don’t they appreciate me?'” ...

She called Trump’s attacks “limp, lame and blubbery.” ...

Donald Trump now is like an unfunny Woody Allen.”

:lol:

Trump is such a whiner and sniggering locker room 13 year old boy ... I also can't see how anyone who likes to think of himself as a real man would possibly support that. 

The problem is; it didn't take any courage to slag Trump.  It's nothing new, his masculinity has been questioned by many people, mainly women - which is unusual because when Trump questions women, we see "pussy hat" rallies - I digress.  Trump has heard 100's of people slag him every waking moment of every day for over a year now - it means nothing to him, it means nothing to his supporters.  It may give you a quick giggle, but by tomorrow, Don Lemon or Morning Joe will say something else, probably take it up a notch even.  

Yeah, she said what she said...It's not good, it's not bad...it's just static at this point. 

2 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Plenty of slavery in Canada for "aboriginals"....and some Africans too.

Snowflakes can deny this all they want, to no avail.

In grained in your culture, I think we all get that.

20 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Not sure where you people live but there is still plenty of racism towards black in Canada, mainly in rural areas and small towns, but not exclusively by any means.

Actually mostly in cities in southern Ontario, like Toronto.

Multiculturalism failed because it is an inherently flawed idea. Like Marxism, it takes a naive view of human nature. Rather than share in and celebrate diversity, people prefer to live in isolated cultural groups with minimal interaction. In Canada it was wrongly implemented, because there is not a strong enough mainstream culture to serve as common ground.

5 hours ago, jacee said:

The only white people in Canada that I've heard use the n word are neonazi/white supremacists.

There is more to Canada than just "white people".  

The "n-word" is used in Canada, whether you hear it or not.

John Lennon and Yoko Ono may have developed their song, "Woman is the Nigger of the World" while on peace hiatus in Canada.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

2 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Multiculturalism failed because it is an inherently flawed idea. Like Marxism, it takes a naive view of human nature. Rather than share in and celebrate diversity, people prefer to live in isolated cultural groups with minimal interaction. In Canada it was wrongly implemented, because there is not a strong enough mainstream culture to serve as common ground.

Do you have any studies to prove this is in fact true in Canada. 

Perhaps this should be moved to another thread? 

8 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

I was looking for a Canadian example (European society, from my experience living there, doesn't anaolgize to Canada) so I wlll read the second book link.

9 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

I am impressed with this source.  It provides a comprehensive, if high-level, view of the challenges the world is facing today from a Canadian professor: Rajaee.  He cautions against the politics of chaos but also against those of conformity.  I think I agree with what he has written, so if you share his viewpoint I am on the same page as you.  However, this was a whole book and I only assessed a few chapters of the ideas, and the conclusion.  Mostly he seems to call for a new paradigm to assess constant cultural change.  As such, I also must point out that there isn't anything like a stark conclusion about the policies of multiculturalism explicitly stated.

9 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Similarly, this seems like a higher-level assessment rather than a rigorous proof however its assessment of the reality of multiculturalism is on p. 30 and I agree with it.  Basically, the idea is a philosophical one that doesn't apply except for common courtesies in civil society.  As such, I agree with what they have written and don't see this model as much different from the American melting pot, to be honest.   But my conclusions from reading your source is that we are on much the same page and that 'failure' of multiculturalism may be happening but only on a theoretical, not a practical level.

10 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

I find that ridiculous. I don't think you've experienced the neighbourhoods you're talking absolute nonsense about.

Multiculturalism is alive and well in our cities, neighbourhoods, and especially in our schools. 

Certain lower cost neighbourhoods in cities have always been flooded with successive waves of immigrants from the latest international wars, invasions and disasters. Irish, Polish, Czech, Jewish, Italian, Vietnamese, and now Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria  ... The costumes and customs and food smells  change but what is always true is that the kids integrate in schools and are soon indistinguishable from the previous waves of immigrants. The families prosper and move on to better housing ... and a new wave arrives.

Multiculturalism isn't something Canada created, it is just a fact that Canada acknowledges. The "isolated cultural groups" you whine about are usuaĺly only 'grouped' by the availability of  cheap or public housing on arrival, and disperse as they prosper and buy homes elsewhere.

It's a load of nothing, bs, lack of knowledge you spew, and it's dangerous xenophobia, imo.

Multiculturalism isn't failing at all. That's just the ranting mantra of white supremacists.

Edited by jacee
  • Like 1